Campfire - Solaris
Nov 18, 2018 at 5:34 AM Post #1,636 of 12,035
Isolation is excellent with the custom tips. With normal foamies / spiral dots it's very good, but not quite excellent. I get a good deep fit as I have large ear canals, which helps.

Nov 18, 2018 at 6:20 AM Post #1,637 of 12,035
Very nice looking cable, how pliable is it?
And also the sound, when you have time.
Enjoy your new cable man.

I have posted in my review in cable pairing section I added later on :)

Yes the cable is pliable, Hansound makes some beautiful cables if you have a 8 wire effect audio that's roughly similar. The ergonomy is great and I'd say even more comfortable than the 4 wire I also own. I'd not bulky enough to be heavy and cause strain, over the ear the extra 2 wires make is more comfortable and stable.

Isolation is excellent with the custom tips. With normal foamies / spiral dots it's very good, but not quite excellent. I get a good deep fit as I have large ear canals, which helps.

Going to get my prints done next week, better to send the prints before ordering to Custom Art I guess... remember the turnaround time?

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2018 at 6:42 AM Post #1,639 of 12,035
Thank you.
Will look into it if I end up grabbing a pair, which seems quite likely at this point.

I placed the order today, those guys are replying even on Sundays oh my!
They ask for which IEM @Jackpot77, you have to specify which IEM after all... did you get them done for the Atlas initially?

Nov 18, 2018 at 6:53 AM Post #1,640 of 12,035
They ask for which IEM @Jackpot77, you have to specify which IEM after all... did you get them done for the Atlas initially?

Yeah, they are great - got my first ever CIEM with them and they put up with my ended questions with no problem at all. @piotrus-g (the owner / chief designer) is pretty active on here too - must be something about brands with the initials CA! :wink: It was a while ago, but pretty sure I ordered mine for the CA Vega / Lyra II. If they have the Atlas on their list, that will be a perfect match, as the front pieces are identical.

The tip opening is silicone and stretches over the nozzle anyway, so they are pretty forgiving in terms of compatibility. Only found a few iems my size won't work with so far - mainly those with a much smaller nozzle than the Vega/Solaris or no lip on the spout.

Hope that helps.

Nov 18, 2018 at 7:14 AM Post #1,641 of 12,035
They are probably asking to make sure they will stay on with the IEM you intend to use it on.

Nov 18, 2018 at 7:48 AM Post #1,642 of 12,035
Yeah, they are great - got my first ever CIEM with them and they put up with my ended questions with no problem at all. @piotrus-g (the owner /chief designer) is pretty active on here too - must be something about brands with the initials CA! It was a while ago, but pretty sure I ordered mine for the CA Vega / Lyra II. If they have the Atlas on their list, that will be a perfect match, as the front pieces are identical. The tip opening is silicone and stretches over the nozzle anyway, so they are pretty forgiving in terms of compatibility. Only found a few iems my size won't work with so far - mainly those with a much smaller nozzle than the Vega/Solaris or no lip on the spout. Hope that helps.

Ok got it, thanks!
Last question, do the Solaris protrude a lot with those tips?

Nov 18, 2018 at 9:02 AM Post #1,643 of 12,035
I forgot to post a picture of the Solaris with the Hansound Zen 8 wires, I remember someone requesting this :

s5WgCC73ErKKy52YCe7OX5WMjLFiRn.png

This is good news and I knew it would scale beautifully :)
Nano or Micro ?
Anyone tested xDSD?

Can you elaborate a bit more?
That cable looks awesome.

Nov 18, 2018 at 9:15 AM Post #1,644 of 12,035
Ok got it, thanks!
Last question, do the Solaris protrude a lot with those tips?

They stick out a little, but only marginally more than with foams. That is offset by thr increase in stability - they basically "lock" in place like a CIEM, so they feel rock solid when moving around and don't need readjustment.

Nov 18, 2018 at 10:33 AM Post #1,645 of 12,035
They stick out a little, but only marginally more than with foams. That is offset by thr increase in stability - they basically "lock" in place like a CIEM, so they feel rock solid when moving around and don't need readjustment.

Ok great that was my biggest concern in fact... we'll see!
No major change in SQ? Other than perfect seal being probably very good for bass...

Back on the Solaris and bass... listening to Oscar Peterson Trio, the double bass is just perfect with a lot of nuances and depth. Generally speaking double bass on good Jazz albums is just perfect in particular timbre is off the charts good on top of the richest bass textures I have heard... Bass is pretty great as well.

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2018 at 1:16 PM Post #1,646 of 12,035
You put it so perfectly!
I was thinking about those ideas of bass misconception for a couple of weeks already.
After acquiring my Vega I just can't return to my Andromeda. Andro sounds so lifeless compared to Vega. In an unnatural way. While Vega for me sounds so lifelike.

Don't know where it came from, but I think such thing as "bass-shaming" do exist in audiophile word. But music doesn't really sound baseless in live performance, even classical (those cellos).

And that's why despite all the praise I am kinda worried about Solaris.

Sorry for OT

The problem with the Vega is that the bass overpowers the mids and they sound recessed. Solaris avoids this by making the bass neutral but has the same physicality of the Vega. Think same bass but less quantity.

As a long-time Vega owner and new Solaris owner. I can agree with much what you are both saying here. Before owning the Vega, I thought I preferred a more reference (i.e. lean) signature. The bass on the Vega is so impactful and sounds amazing on acoustic and live music. I would have never guessed that the Vega's sig would work well with that type of music. The quantity is a bit much, making for a less than accurate representation of the music but still sounds awesome. I personally never felt like the mids were being too overpowered. Separation and layering are both excellent and vocals sound quite vivid to my ears. For the quantity, it's actually amazing how well controlled the bass is on the Vega.

I have about 70 hours on the Solaris. As a Vega fan, I think the bass on the Solaris is absolutely perfect. Usually when switching from the Vega, almost every other headphone sounds thin. Simply not the case with the Solaris. It's nicely separated and visceral without sounding hyped. I think proper fitment and seal may be the culprit for most people that think the Solaris is bass light.

Nov 18, 2018 at 2:51 PM Post #1,647 of 12,035
As a long-time Vega owner and new Solaris owner. I can agree with much what you are both saying here. Before owning the Vega, I thought I preferred a more reference (i.e. lean) signature. The bass on the Vega is so impactful and sounds amazing on acoustic and live music. I would have never guessed that the Vega's sig would work well with that type of music. The quantity is a bit much, making for a less than accurate representation of the music but still sounds awesome. I personally never felt like the mids were being too overpowered. Separation and layering are both excellent and vocals sound quite vivid to my ears. For the quantity, it's actually amazing how well controlled the bass is on the Vega.

I have about 70 hours on the Solaris. As a Vega fan, I think the bass on the Solaris is absolutely perfect. Usually when switching from the Vega, almost every other headphone sounds thin. Simply not the case with the Solaris. It's nicely separated and visceral without sounding hyped. I think proper fitment and seal may be the culprit for most people that think the Solaris is bass light.
No, I think Vega mids are straight up recessed. I am a mid-head and just cannot do without good mids.

Nov 18, 2018 at 2:59 PM Post #1,648 of 12,035
No, I think Vega mids are straight up recessed. I am a mid-head and just cannot do without good mids.
I suppose we’ll have to agree to disagree on that. I think the Vega has more of a “W” shaped signature as opposed to the typical “V.” The bass and treble are hyped but they still manage to produce a lot of detail in mids. Albeit thick, they’ve never sounded recessed to me.

Nov 18, 2018 at 3:02 PM Post #1,649 of 12,035
I suppose we’ll have to agree to disagree on that. I think the Vega has more of a “W” shaped signature as opposed to the typical “V.” The bass and treble are hyped but they still manage to produce a lot of detail in mids. Albeit thick, they’ve never sounded recessed to me.
No I am pretty sure Vega mids are recessed. When the bass hits in a busy passage, the mids disappear. This is not a problem with IEMs I am used to.

Nov 18, 2018 at 3:08 PM Post #1,650 of 12,035
@MidFiMoney Okay what do you think about Solaris mids vs Vega and Dream?

Also I read that Dream has a metallic tonality on the mids. How would you compare the 2 tonality wise?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back