Campfire - Solaris
Nov 17, 2018 at 1:54 PM Post #1,606 of 12,035
wow you have a real nice collection of IEM. which at this point is your preferred?

Sound is so subjective and means different things to different people.

I always like a good punchy bass that makes you feel the music but does not overwhelm. I love vocals to be forward and bit infront of you. I enjoy an airy sound with nice wide soundstage, to give that sense of 3 dimensional sound. Does Solaris seem to hit this?

I have not chased this too much. I don't have the opportunity to audition many IEM so I have to buy and hope. I really enjoy my Lyra2 and stopped looking as I am afraid to buy "TOTL" since returns are not really possible.

My tastes are all over the place so my collection kinda speaks to that. I like all of them for their different strengths.

Solaris = Immersion
Dream = Detail
Vega = Fun
T8iE Mk = Musical
MDR-7550 = Ultra wide

As for preference, it’s hard to say but the Dream checks the most boxes when all things are considered. I really enjoy every aspect of the Solaris’ sound. It’s so far outside my head. It’s musical, engaging, three dimensional, etc. It doesn’t have any noticeable flaws but I doubt I would ever use it outside the house due to size and fit.

The Dream is very balanced with excellent resolution and still manages to be musical. It also has a pretty wide stage. Aside from its feisty cable and being a little power hungry, it will work well in almost any situation. So if I could only have one, it would have to be the Dream. I’m not saying it’s better than the Solaris. It’s just more practical for me.

To answer your second question, the Solaris will check every box you mentioned. However, I’m not sure I’d say vocals are forward but they are presented nicely, right where they probably should be. Keep in mind, my pair are still burning in.

Nov 17, 2018 at 1:54 PM Post #1,607 of 12,035
Fair enough. I read Flamenco is a detail monster. Is that the final word in terms of IEM resolution?

I haven't heard a Zeus in over 1.5 years but I do remember it having a very good midrange but it was a little sibilant.
The sibilance with the Zeus is because of the tracks you are listening to not the IEM. Unless you had customs, a poor seal could cause a bit of unnatural treble tone.

Nov 17, 2018 at 2:01 PM Post #1,608 of 12,035
My tastes are all over the place so my collection kinda speaks to that. I like all of them for their different strengths.

Solaris = Immersion
Dream = Detail
Vega = Fun
T8iE Mk = Musical
MDR-7550 = Ultra wide

As for preference, it’s hard to say but the Dream checks the most boxes when all things are considered. I really enjoy every aspect of the Solaris’ sound. It’s so far outside my head. It’s musical, engaging, three dimensional, etc. It doesn’t have any noticeable flaws but I doubt I would ever use it outside the house due to size and fit.

The Dream is very balanced with excellent resolution and still manages to be musical. It also has a pretty wide stage. Aside from its feisty cable and being a little power hungry, it will work well in almost any situation. So if I could only have one, it would have to be the Dream. I’m not saying it’s better than the Solaris. It’s just more practical for me.

To answer your second question, the Solaris will check every box you mentioned. However, I’m not sure I’d say vocals are forward but they are presented nicely, right where they probably should be. Keep in mind, my pair are still burning in.
One of the few I regretfully sold was my Dream. Some complained of a thin metallic mid range, but I found the bass to be about the best I ever heard. Great detail in the mids, with plenty of transparency and layering. The freaking"mind of its own"cable sounded good but the ergonomics made it damn near a chore. They did love power, feed them and be rewarded.

Nov 17, 2018 at 2:06 PM Post #1,609 of 12,035
One of the few I regretfully sold was my Dream. Some complained of a thin metallic mid range, but I found the bass to be about the best I ever heard. Great detail in the mids, with plenty of transparency and layering. The freaking"mind of its own"cable sounded good but the ergonomics made it damn near a chore. They did love power, feed them and be rewarded.
The midrange is a tad bit thin for my tastes but I still enjoy it. Supposedly Dita is working on a new cable so it should address the few issues with the Truth cable.

Nov 17, 2018 at 2:13 PM Post #1,610 of 12,035
For anyone having fit issues with the Solaris, I can recommend the silicone custom tips from Custom Art in Poland (the other CA on here :wink: ). I use them on my Atlas, and they lock the Solaris in solidly in the ear, with a nice full seal for the bass and a large open bore so don't dampen the treble either.

Think they were only about £50 (plus the price of getting impressions done) when I bought them a could of years ago - definitely work looking into of you fancy going the "semi-custom" route.

Really like this setup. Is it still going just as well? Any tips sparkle your interest more? Any change in frequency? Any future changes you intend to make? Apologies for the Spanish inquisition.

Nov 17, 2018 at 2:22 PM Post #1,611 of 12,035
Really like this setup. Is it still going just as well? Any tips sparkle your interest more? Any change in frequency? Any future changes you intend to make? Apologies for the Spanish inquisition.

Given the moderate price I might give those a try instead of a full silicon sleeve a la sensaphonics that I intended to check out.

@jackpot : I don't see any input to provide on the bore size of the target IEM, you don't need to specify it, correct?

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2018 at 2:29 PM Post #1,612 of 12,035
Given the moderate price I might give those a try instead of a full silicon sleeve a la sensaphonics that I intended to check out.

@jackpot : I don't see any input to provide on the bore size of the target IEM, you don't need to specify it, correct?
No, the bore size is standard. I use them as well.

Nov 17, 2018 at 2:33 PM Post #1,613 of 12,035
20180625_175343.jpg 20180625_175409~2.jpg
20180625_213559~2.jpg

Keep in mind they do not work on all nozzles, for example, they don't stay on my Empire Ears and I doubt they would work on EarSonics Grace. They are great for Atlas.

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2018 at 2:38 PM Post #1,614 of 12,035

Solaris = Immersion
Dream = Detail
Vega = Fun
T8iE Mk = Musical
MDR-7550 = Ultra wide

Thank you

Nov 17, 2018 at 3:39 PM Post #1,616 of 12,035
No, the bore size is standard. I use them as well.

Keep in mind they do not work on all nozzles, for example, they don't stay on my Empire Ears and I doubt they would work on EarSonics Grace. They are great for Atlas.

Ok thanks!

Nov 17, 2018 at 3:52 PM Post #1,617 of 12,035
Just out of curiosity, for some weird reason none of my gear can handle in the right way a music track (see below) without struggle and distorsion. Well, to the Solaris owners would you like to put it on a test? So i will know if all my gear is crap (even my car system) or this track has got a bad mixing/engineering. Said problem occurs only with medium/high volume. Here you go:
Credits: Jesper Kyd
Edit:same problem even at low volume

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2018 at 4:53 PM Post #1,618 of 12,035
Just out of curiosity, for some weird reason none of my gear can handle in the right way a music track (see below) without struggle and distorsion. Well, to the Solaris owners would you like to put it on a test? So i will know if all my gear is crap (even my car system) or this track has got a bad mixing/engineering. Said problem occurs only with medium/high volume. Here you go:
Credits: Jesper Kyd
Edit:same problem even at low volume

Mastering. There's a terrible distortion track from 1:15 onwards on both Solaris and LCD 4

Nov 17, 2018 at 5:20 PM Post #1,619 of 12,035
@seamon Thank you very much. Now i know it’s not my ears neither my stuff :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back