Campfire - Solaris
Nov 17, 2018 at 6:00 PM Post #1,623 of 12,035
[QUOTE="Jalo, post: 14603123,
In fact, this is how real life music exists in the natural world with each frequency occupy their own domain. Isn't that is the goal of what all totl headphones try to become--to replicate real life music?

I think there is a big misconception when we use the words basshead or bass heavy sound, we seem to always end up blaming the wrong culprit and in this case the equipment or the headphone when the real culprit is the music. It is the headphone that is reproducing what is in the music and if the music is constantly producing high level of bass I would find them irritating also. For instant,
when Wardo783 in post 1557 talks about the Vega being "was like a wild horse in my ears that made it impossible for me to unwind" may be it is the music that needs to change and not the messenger. Imaging being in a cathedral listening to a thirty foot high organ pipes and what you hear is the sound of a harmonica and that will not be right. All I want a headphone to do is to reproduce music as I hear them in the natural environment. If the double bass or the cello shake your core let it be and if you do not like it don't listen to that kind of music but if the headphone cannot reproduce that then that is a flaw of the equipment and it has nothing to do with bass head or not, it is in the music and the equipment merely faithfully reproducing what is in the music. I think Ken will revise the Solaris in the future.[/QUOTE]

You put it so perfectly!
I was thinking about those ideas of bass misconception for a couple of weeks already.
After acquiring my Vega I just can't return to my Andromeda. Andro sounds so lifeless compared to Vega. In an unnatural way. While Vega for me sounds so lifelike.

Don't know where it came from, but I think such thing as "bass-shaming" do exist in audiophile word. But music doesn't really sound baseless in live performance, even classical (those cellos).

And that's why despite all the praise I am kinda worried about Solaris.

Sorry for OT

Nov 17, 2018 at 6:14 PM Post #1,624 of 12,035
You put it so perfectly!
I was thinking about those ideas of bass misconception for a couple of weeks already.
After acquiring my Vega I just can't return to my Andromeda. Andro sounds so lifeless compared to Vega. In an unnatural way. While Vega for me sounds so lifelike.

Don't know where it came from, but I think such thing as "bass-shaming" do exist in audiophile word. But music doesn't really sound baseless in live performance, even classical (those cellos).

Sorry for OT
The problem with the Vega is that the bass overpowers the mids and they sound recessed. Solaris avoids this by making the bass neutral but has the same physicality of the Vega. Think same bass but less quantity.

Nov 17, 2018 at 6:17 PM Post #1,625 of 12,035
You put it so perfectly!

Sorry for OT

No need to worry about the Solaris. It isn't as bass heavy as the Atlas, Cascade or Vega from the CA range, but it's not bass-light or anaemic. It carries a richness in the low end that adds to that "live" music feel, without going overboard.

There is more than enough bass for the Singapor signature, and you get a real subwoofer feel to some tracks. At the end of the day, it's the same DD driver a used in the Atlas, which is in turn a bigger version of the Vega driver. Sure if purple wanted to EQ these, the Solaris could be turned until a bass cannon with very little effort. There's just no need to do it with the current tuning. As always, just my 0.02c.

On a completely unrelated note, just discovered Shawn Mullins has released a re-recorded version of Soul's Core (his debut album). Listening to it on Tidal at the moment with the Solaris and it sounds just huge (and plenty bassy). For fans of good acoustic / rock type music, it's definitely worth checking out.

Nov 17, 2018 at 6:22 PM Post #1,626 of 12,035
Really like this setup. Is it still going just as well? Any tips sparkle your interest more? Any change in frequency? Any future changes you intend to make? Apologies for the Spanish inquisition.

Still to play properly with the Final tips, but pretty happy with the custom tips at the moment. They give the fullness of the foamies with the openness of the Spiral Dots, which is just perfect for me.

Still experimenting with the CV5 combos - my current favourite setup is the Ibasso DX200 straight out of Amp8, or the CV5 with the LG V30.

Nov 17, 2018 at 8:52 PM Post #1,628 of 12,035
Hi guys, is there a UK release date for the Solaris?
Not really, Audiologica says early December so I imagine it'll be around the same time Campfire Audio start offering it themselves.

Nov 17, 2018 at 9:13 PM Post #1,629 of 12,035
I can confirm. Synergy with my Black Label is off the charts good. I love the sound balancing of the Solaris but I can also confirm with a bit of a bass boost the Solaris will most definitely satisfy bass heads. I think they sound great the way they are but it is easy to get the Solaris to have even more of that bass end.

Listening to Tab Benoit Nice and warm. Bass guitar section on this tune is a fine example of just how capable the Solaris is with the lows.

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2018 at 9:26 PM Post #1,630 of 12,035
Just to add my comments to your article where you quoted Lookout57 instructions, to remove the memory wire you need patience and I suggest NOT using a knife or a blade cause you can cut the cable. Instead, find a very small flat screwdriver, like small enough for eyeglass repair and also use nail or wire clippers.

First, try to expose/separate the edge of the metal memory wire which is under the outer hear shrink (that's where I use a small flat screwdriver). Once you do that, pull on it (metal wire) toward the housing of mmcx connector and then clip it at the base. You can't pull the wire out, it has to be clipped. Then go back and remove the remaining layer of heat shrink plastic tube, starting by finding the edge, digging with a small screwdriver to cut it open, and pulling it down toward mmcx connector.

Take your time and don't rush.
I've since found that I could scratch the outer jacket with my finger nails to expose the memory wire. Once it's exposed and you can get enough of the memory wire out of the outer jacket, grab it with small needle nose pliers and pull it out from the end opposite the MMCX then pull it out from the MMCX end. If you don't pull it all the way out and cut it you will end up with a sharp point at the MMCX end. After the wire is removed it's easy to pull the outer jacket off. Depending on how clean you want it at the MMCX end, you can either just rip it off or cut with small scissors. I used a pair of fine wire cutters like these https://www.amazon.com/UNI-FIT-MAGGI-PRECISION-RELIEVED-CUTTER/dp/B074KJDPLF/ to trim the out sheath at the MMCX connector.

Nov 17, 2018 at 9:59 PM Post #1,631 of 12,035
I can confirm. Synergy with my Black Label is off the charts good. I love the sound balancing of the Solaris but I can also confirm with a bit of a bass boost the Solaris will most definitely satisfy bass heads. I think they sound great the way they are but it is easy to get the Solaris to have even more of that bass end.

Listening to Tab Benoit Nice and warm. Bass guitar section on this tune is a fine example of just how capable the Solaris is with the lows.

The bass boost on the HA-2 gives me just what I need. I can see how bass heads would think the Solaris is bass light, but the right bass boost for the right songs is a ton of fun!

Nov 18, 2018 at 3:58 AM Post #1,633 of 12,035
I forgot to post a picture of the Solaris with the Hansound Zen 8 wires, I remember someone requesting this :

s5WgCC73ErKKy52YCe7OX5WMjLFiRn.png

I can confirm. Synergy with my Black Label is off the charts good.

This is good news and I knew it would scale beautifully :)
Nano or Micro ?
Anyone tested xDSD?

I can confirm that this is a very good match.

Can you elaborate a bit more?

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2018 at 5:26 AM Post #1,635 of 12,035
Still to play properly with the Final tips, but pretty happy with the custom tips at the moment. They give the fullness of the foamies with the openness of the Spiral Dots, which is just perfect for me.

Still experimenting with the CV5 combos - my current favourite setup is the Ibasso DX200 straight out of Amp8, or the CV5 with the LG V30.

Thanks for your reply. Apologies if you've mentioned it already, but how well would you rate the isolation?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back