Campfire - Solaris
Nov 4, 2018 at 1:03 PM Post #871 of 12,035
I've had the Solaris for long enough now to know these are without a doubt the best IEMs overall I've owned (it destroys Vega, Andromeda, A12t, A18t (a close second, my other favorite IEM), Tia Trio, Legend X, and others) and I feel that running these with a balanced cable easily competes with the flagship TOTL headphones at a fraction of the price (I don't miss my LCD 4z, or Utopia with these -- honest). These are truly musical, fun, resolving, wide, spacious. I'm really honestly surprised. I didn't think I would like them this much.

Now, I am on the hunt for the best cable pairing. I want something ergonomic above all else, that doesn't kill treble and adds a tiny amount to bass impact. Recommendations?

Nov 4, 2018 at 1:36 PM Post #872 of 12,035
I've had the Solaris for long enough now to know these are without a doubt the best IEMs overall I've owned (it destroys Vega, Andromeda, A12t, A18t (a close second, my other favorite IEM), Tia Trio, Legend X, and others) and I feel that running these with a balanced cable easily competes with the flagship TOTL headphones at a fraction of the price (I don't miss my LCD 4z, or Utopia with these -- honest). These are truly musical, fun, resolving, wide, spacious. I'm really honestly surprised. I didn't think I would like them this much. Now, I am on the hunt for the best cable pairing. I want something ergonomic above all else, that doesn't kill treble and adds a tiny amount to bass impact. Recommendations?

It seems like we share the same opinion there, I can't stop listening to the Solaris :D

I am pretty happy with the Hansound Zen, it's not in the top tier cable rather entry level upgrade like PW number 5 but pretty good. It does add a bit of impact compared to the stock cable and it's more ergonomic thanks to the lack of earhooks/wire. I am getting an upgrade to the 8 wire variant, I'll let you know (4 wire has a pretty slim profile, so 8 wire will work on the go).

Given the performance level of the Solaris and the fact it has no flaw, I'd favor a pretty neutral / transparent cable to avoid "breaking the magic". I have an opportunity to get a Thor II 8 wire, I might just go for it. I think a better cable could help dynamics and push soundstage even further... but I don't want any element of the signature to change.

Nov 4, 2018 at 1:58 PM Post #873 of 12,035
High praise. Definitely intrigued.
It's this or the sony Z1R.
Have.....to .....resist.....the....urge.....to....open....wallet.....till.....the.....Sony.....comes....out!!!!!

Nov 4, 2018 at 2:02 PM Post #874 of 12,035
I've had the Solaris for long enough now to know these are without a doubt the best IEMs overall I've owned (it destroys Vega, Andromeda, A12t, A18t (a close second, my other favorite IEM), Tia Trio, Legend X, and others) and I feel that running these with a balanced cable easily competes with the flagship TOTL headphones at a fraction of the price (I don't miss my LCD 4z, or Utopia with these -- honest). These are truly musical, fun, resolving, wide, spacious. I'm really honestly surprised. I didn't think I would like them this much.

Now, I am on the hunt for the best cable pairing. I want something ergonomic above all else, that doesn't kill treble and adds a tiny amount to bass impact. Recommendations?

Lord almighty, that is a strong statement. I am so eager to try this out !!

Nov 4, 2018 at 2:18 PM Post #875 of 12,035
definitely taking everything here with a grain a salt... maybe more than a grain.

High praise. Definitely intrigued.
It's this or the sony Z1R.
Have.....to .....resist.....the....urge.....to....open....wallet.....till.....the.....Sony.....comes....out!!!!!

it's not the first time a thread's been like this after a great release. I'm also debating between this and the Z1R and will wait a few more weeks for more seasoned reviews. I've only seen ONE mediocre impression for each, saying the Z1R failed to impress and the Solaris had an average soundstage. other than that, everyone has been saying amazing things and if anything, I'm totally willing to save up and get both :)))

Nov 4, 2018 at 2:29 PM Post #877 of 12,035

Definitely Effect Audio Janus Dynamic is the cable you need since it does make the bass impactful yet tight while providing airy treble (though not as airy as Horus) and it also improves 3D depth and soundstage.

Nov 4, 2018 at 2:32 PM Post #878 of 12,035

What do you mean destroy? Like you would never listen to the Andromeda again if you had both?

Nov 4, 2018 at 2:34 PM Post #879 of 12,035
Can someone do a side by side picture with the hifiHif re2000? These looks bigger and I had for issues with re2000.

Nov 4, 2018 at 2:37 PM Post #880 of 12,035
What do you mean destroy? Like you would never listen to the Andromeda again if you had both?

Comparing Andromeda's bass extension and depth against Solaris, it would destroy it no question. If Andromeda has a tiny bit more meat (can be called as depth and decay, not impact), it would be the perfect IEM sound signature for me.

Nov 4, 2018 at 2:58 PM Post #881 of 12,035

100%, wouldn't need any of the IEMs I listed anymore. I would just need Solaris. Maybe a TOTL can if you want a different form factor / sound delivery. I like keeping minimal gear, so I am more than content with just these and nothing else.

I get why people are skeptical, but these things are ****ing great. Buy them, trust me. I guarantee and will risk whatever small reputation I have here that these are going to be cult classic IEMs.

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2018 at 3:18 PM Post #882 of 12,035
definitely taking everything here with a grain a salt... maybe more than a grain.

it's not the first time a thread's been like this after a great release. I'm also debating between this and the Z1R and will wait a few more weeks for more seasoned reviews. I've only seen ONE mediocre impression for each, saying the Z1R failed to impress and the Solaris had an average soundstage. other than that, everyone has been saying amazing things and if anything, I'm totally willing to save up and get both :)))

The mediocre impressions is correctish. Though Solaris soundstage is not small, there are def IEMs that have it beat handily in terms of sheer size. There's stuff like Zeus, A18, Tia Fourte who have a much bigger stage. However, those don't provide a sound signature as coherent as Solaris and have their own debilitating weaknesses.

Nov 4, 2018 at 3:19 PM Post #883 of 12,035
There's no reason to own an Andro if you got a Solaris. Solaris does what Andro does best and more

Nov 4, 2018 at 3:26 PM Post #884 of 12,035
Definitely interested. Never in a million years thought I would drop the cash I did on the Andromeda but glad I did. If these have the love the Andromeda did/does, I'll have to get them. I'll decide to keep the Andros later or not.

Nov 4, 2018 at 3:34 PM Post #885 of 12,035

100%, wouldn't need any of the IEMs I listed anymore. I would just need Solaris. Maybe a TOTL can if you want a different form factor / sound delivery. I like keeping minimal gear, so I am more than content with just these and nothing else.

I get why people are skeptical, but these things are ****ing great. Buy them, trust me. I guarantee and will risk whatever small reputation I have here that these are going to be cult classic IEMs.

Now now peeps... exercise some restrain here and be responsible forum users... comments / impressions like these could make me want to sell my kidney and/or re-mortgage my home for that instant gratification :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back