Campfire - Solaris
Nov 4, 2018 at 3:38 PM Post #886 of 12,035
definitely taking everything here with a grain a salt... maybe more than a grain. it's not the first time a thread's been like this after a great release. I'm also debating between this and the Z1R and will wait a few more weeks for more seasoned reviews. I've only seen ONE mediocre impression for each, saying the Z1R failed to impress and the Solaris had an average soundstage. other than that, everyone has been saying amazing things and if anything, I'm totally willing to save up and get both))

There are many more impressions from CanJam and other shows, at least for the IER-Z1R and they do converge (and the vast majority is positive). Less buzz about Solaris from show impressions but I think those are much less reliable than hours spent at home with your usual setup and tracks. I have clocked probably 30 hours with Solaris.

I understand being in doubts about high praise for a new product, some will even declare "hype train" when impressions are too positive no matter if the impressions are detailed and include comparisons. I could understand if the impressions were half baked and crude but it's not the case and some of us have had the chance to listen to quite a few TOTL IEMs. Of course early adopters who know what kind of signatures they are looking for are positively biased in the sense that it will cater to their own personal preferences. This being said, once you've been in that hobby for a while, you know what your preferences are but you also know a thing or two about how an IEM performs. You also know it's as much about the tuning as the pure performance. Beyond strong technical foundations, there is not such thing as X better than Y in absolute terms for everyone, objectivity is an illusion.

100%, wouldn't need any of the IEMs I listed anymore. I would just need Solaris. Maybe a TOTL can if you want a different form factor / sound delivery. I like keeping minimal gear, so I am more than content with just these and nothing else. I get why people are skeptical, but these things are ****ing great. Buy them, trust me. I guarantee and will risk whatever small reputation I have here that these are going to be cult classic IEMs.

Couldn't have said it any better :D
You don't take much risk saying it will be a classic :p

Let's get some review. It has reached 6 days burn-in for early birds now and it would be nice to have updates from them.

It's way to early for that.
That review is going to be tricky anyway, as the Solaris are a beast with many facets.

Nov 4, 2018 at 4:11 PM Post #887 of 12,035
The mediocre impressions is correctish. Though Solaris soundstage is not small, there are def IEMs that have it beat handily in terms of sheer size. There's stuff like Zeus, A18, Tia Fourte who have a much bigger stage. However, those don't provide a sound signature as coherent as Solaris and have their own debilitating weaknesses.

waiting to hear more about the weaknesses of the Solaris. and the same could be said for the Sony's

There are many more impressions from CanJam and other shows, at least for the IER-Z1R and they do converge (and the vast majority is positive). Less buzz about Solaris from show impressions but I think those are much less reliable than hours spent at home with your usual setup and tracks. I have clocked probably 30 hours with Solaris.

I understand being in doubts about high praise for a new product, some will even declare "hype train" when impressions are too positive no matter if the impressions are detailed and include comparisons. I could understand if the impressions were half baked and crude but it's not the case and some of us have had the chance to listen to quite a few TOTL IEMs. Of course early adopters who know what kind of signatures they are looking for are positively biased in the sense that it will cater to their own personal preferences. This being said, once you've been in that hobby for a while, you know what your preferences are but you also know a thing or two about how an IEM performs. You also know it's as much about the tuning as the pure performance. Beyond strong technical foundations, there is not such thing as X better than Y in absolute terms for everyone, objectivity is an illusion.

Couldn't have said it any better :D
You don't take much risk saying it will be a classic :p

It's way to early for that.
That review is going to be tricky anyway, as the Solaris are a beast with many facets.

did i not mention I'm willing to get both? :wink: sony also have their own hype train. I just want some gooooood stuff and both sound gooooood

Nov 4, 2018 at 4:18 PM Post #888 of 12,035
waiting to hear more about the weaknesses of the Solaris. and the same could be said for the Sony's

did i not mention I'm willing to get both? :wink: sony also have their own hype train. I just want some gooooood stuff and both sound gooooood
I am only getting one.
So pulling up a chair, and loading up the hookah.
Let the wars begin :)
Got my RHA CL2 to keep me company till the dust settles.

Nov 4, 2018 at 5:01 PM Post #889 of 12,035
waiting to hear more about the weaknesses of the Solaris

You might be waiting a while. People claimed the Andro was the second coming of Christ for years, really, until recently did I see anything negative about them and they've been out forever.

Nov 4, 2018 at 5:19 PM Post #890 of 12,035

Here ya go:

"Heard the new Solaris. THICK sound, really not for me. "

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/canjam-shanghai-2018-impressions-thread-november-3-4-2018.892503/

This is sorta my concern in general with CA. I've loved the Andros for years with their fairly neutral tuning. The last several flagships have trended to thick/bassy. Initially I enjoyed the Vegas which I bought second-hand a few months after they came when the forum was still in nearly universal agreement of their superiority to the andros, but ultimately I returned to the Andros.

Nov 4, 2018 at 5:23 PM Post #891 of 12,035
Here ya go:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/canjam-shanghai-2018-impressions-thread-november-3-4-2018.892503/

This is sorta my concern in general with CA. I've loved the Andros for years with their fairly neutral tuning. The last several flagships have trended to thick/bassy. Initially I enjoyed the Vegas which I bought second-hand a few months after they came when the forum was still in nearly universal agreement of their superiority to the andros, but ultimately I returned to the Andros.
Lol I think I sold you my second pair of Vega. The problem with Vega is that a single driver is simply not enough. The mids are overshadowed by the bass and treble is meh at best. The bass is amazing though.
SO CA left the ADLC to do what it does best - bass and tuned it down to make it neutral. The highs are handled by the Andro high drivers and we have a new mid driver I think.

Rest assured you won't have the issues you had with the Vega on the Solaris.

Nov 4, 2018 at 5:30 PM Post #892 of 12,035
Lol I think I sold you my second pair of Vega. The problem with Vega is that a single driver is simply not enough. The mids are overshadowed by the bass and treble is meh at best. The bass is amazing though.
SO CA left the ADLC to do what it does best - bass and tuned it down to make it neutral. The highs are handled by the Andro high drivers and we have a new mid driver I think.

Rest assured you won't have the issues you had with the Vega on the Solaris.

Yes you did! I'm rocking the KSE1200s now and honestly... they're so far beyond any other IEM I've heard I'm dubious either these or the new Sonys could come close. Apparently I'm a clarity-junkie.

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2018 at 5:37 PM Post #893 of 12,035
Yes you did! I'm rocking the KSE1200s now and honestly... they're so far beyond any other IEM I've heard I'm dubious either these or the new Sonys could come close. Apparently I'm a clarity-junkie.
Alrighty okay. Solaris might not be for you then :p
I think clarity is increased by an elevated treble. While Solaris is incredibly transparent, it never pushes details onto you. Everything is there for you to listen to.

You might be looking for something along the lines of Zeus and A18 which throw micro-detail onto you although the amount is similar to Solaris. Give those a listen. You might really really like them especially the Zeus which recently went on Massdrop for $1k. There's also the Flamenco which is dubbed the most detailed IEM ever.

The signature you are looking for is bright while Solaris is warmish neutral.

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2018 at 5:57 PM Post #894 of 12,035
Alrighty okay. Solaris might not be for you then :p
I think clarity is increased by an elevated treble.

It isn't - if you look at graphs the KSEs actually slightly warm of neutral. The treble has some peaks and valleys I EQ out w/ Roon, and with that it's uber smooth and it takes care of that "cymbals in yer ears" issue. The detail is throughout the spectrum and is from a reduction in distortion.

In any case, my main reason for stepping in here is I've seen a trend with CA's stuff over the last few cycles. First it was the Vegas, then the Atlas, then Cascade, and now possibly Solaris with that comment from CanJam (note: impressions in CanJam threads are total gold to get feedback from Headfiers who have no stake in a brand). The Andros are this thing the community snaps back to, and it's due to having what one of those really great tunings... sorta reminiscent of the JH13 and why that particular IEM was so dominant for so long.

I do get what Ken's trying to achieve, a speaker-like experience in your ears. It's an admiral goal and I look forward to hearing these and the Sonys at he next SoCal canjam.

Nov 4, 2018 at 6:05 PM Post #895 of 12,035
Found something I don't like about the Solaris: the "Left" and "Right" markings. It looks funky to begin with, but the full word on each lid looks out of place with the rest of the sleek design. As far as sound goes, still looking. Got the lack of getting a good deep seal with Spiral Dots, and the sound is enveloping, with a great deep bass.

Sure we'll see more comments in due time about people not liking certain aspects of the sound, but for me these really pull together the various strands of tuning that CA have previously produced into one whole. Sound is big but not overbearing, solid without being bloated and able to extend at both ends as needed.

Started the preliminary work on my review, but like the other guys who had the really units, imagine it will be a while before I'm comfortable putting final conclusions down on paper. Still having fun trying the Solaris with different genres - it is a true all rounder.

Nov 4, 2018 at 6:22 PM Post #896 of 12,035
Here ya go:

The problem with a statement of "THICK sound" is that you need to add, relative to what? This is purely subjective and depends on a personal sound preference. The same guy who made that statement followed it with another one about running into a father of one of his students who recently bought Andro and after auditioning Solaris now regrets that purchase (not because Andro is bad, but because Solaris is better). You gotta put everything into a relative perspective, otherwise it's meaningless and just describes a personal preference.

Nov 4, 2018 at 6:52 PM Post #897 of 12,035
Definitely Effect Audio Janus Dynamic is the cable you need since it does make the bass impactful yet tight while providing airy treble (though not as airy as Horus) and it also improves 3D depth and soundstage.
This cable imo is pretty awesome. Too bad I have it in 2pin and not mmcx. After all these posts I might have to get solaris and try to get it reconnected to mmcx.

Nov 4, 2018 at 7:06 PM Post #898 of 12,035
The problem with a statement of "THICK sound" is that you need to add, relative to what? This is purely subjective and depends on a personal sound preference. The same guy who made that statement followed it with another one about running into a father of one of his students who recently bought Andro and after auditioning Solaris now regrets that purchase (not because Andro is bad, but because Solaris is better). You gotta put everything into a relative perspective, otherwise it's meaningless and just describes a personal preference.

Great point.
Relative to the Phantom, the Solaris are on the thinner side :p

In fact, I think the Solaris are fairly complex in that respect as well as other aspect. Usually, thickness is a consistent property across the range. I have come to believe one of the tricks of the Solaris unique signature might also be related to this. All in all, in that respect I don't think the mids are that thick, that's why I find them brilliant with Jazz or Classical (contrary to the Phantom) as well as other genres. Bass comes second, being thicker. One interesting thing is, I would say the treble are thickest of all the frequency range and that's what makes them so yummy IMHO. There is body, weight to that treble that just adds to the extension. It's a tactile treble, one you can touch!

Got the lack of getting a good deep seal with Spiral Dots, and the sound is enveloping, with a great deep bass.

If you have a chance try the UE900 tips, I use them one size smaller than my usual size with full deep insertion (can't get any deeper) and this was quite an improvement especially in the bass department. YMMV

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2018 at 7:15 PM Post #899 of 12,035

The OP's favourite CFA iem is the Polaris, which has thin lower mids that made Nick Cave's voice sound telephonic. He also heaped praise on PP8 which has forward upper mids, so yeah, context helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back