Campfire - Solaris
Nov 4, 2018 at 7:31 PM Post #902 of 12,035
My thought is since I love my Andromeda S. To be honest I had no idea about the Solaris as it wasn't introduced at Can Jam this year. Wish I could have heard them. I know everyone here is saying the Solaris is better than the Andros and I am assuming they are referring to the standard Andros. IMO the S is special it has the mids the previous Andros was missing. Love them to bits but if the Solaris is the mix of all things good with the previous in ears. It is only natural for me to get a pair. It was only a matter of me selling off a few things and here I am.

Looking forward to hearing these. Can't wait.

Nov 4, 2018 at 7:55 PM Post #903 of 12,035
What are people pairing the Solaris with? Will the ZX2, which I own and is perfect for my Andromeda, provide enough power for the Solaris?

Nov 4, 2018 at 8:59 PM Post #904 of 12,035
The OP's favourite CFA iem is the Polaris, which has thin lower mids that made Nick Cave's voice sound telephonic. He also heaped praise on PP8 which has forward upper mids, so yeah, context helps.
Hoo boy. If he thinks Solaris is thick, I wonder what he'll think of stuff like Phantom and A12

Nov 4, 2018 at 9:40 PM Post #905 of 12,035
Damn, I'd love to buy a pair of these, but CA support is dark, my dealer doesn't know ("I'm trying to give them my money but I don't know yet" he said) and I want to wait until I know when they will be available locally vs. buying them from the CA website. Frustrating :frowning2:

Nov 4, 2018 at 9:42 PM Post #906 of 12,035
This cable imo is pretty awesome. Too bad I have it in 2pin and not mmcx. After all these posts I might have to get solaris and try to get it reconnected to mmcx.

You can order another one with MMCX so you have two of them and you won't need to keep re-terminating. I wouldn't recommend 2pin to adapters though for a premium cable such as the Janus

Nov 4, 2018 at 9:51 PM Post #907 of 12,035
RE: Solaris vs Andromeda S - I think someone made a post in another thread ???

EDiT: I tried to find it again. No luck.
I may have been mistaken

—————————————

Tried amps 4/4s/8 all 4.4mm amps and FiiO X7ii with 4.4mm amp with the Solaris last night and didnt reach any clear conclusion as to the best pairing. Back to amp 8

—————————————-

Suggested burn in was:
2-3 days so approx 50-75 hours

Ken also mentioned he found a sweet spot at 6 days - approx 150 hours.

I have found my sweet spot happened somewhere between 150 to 200 hours as I left it playing over the weekend.

Its has changed quite a bit over that time.

—————————————

I am trying different tips. For sound atm and I am not finding such tuning extremes as I have with other IEMs and tips. A bit surprised.

JVC Spiral Tips, Final audio stock, foam stock.

——————————————

3642D2A7-5F26-4230-9F01-396C0CB7EDC0.jpeg

Starting to try different daps now that the Solaris seems to have settled into its intended signature.

Campfire Audio Solaris, ALO Audio Continental V5, ALO Audio SXC-8 mini to mini, iBasso DX120.

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2018 at 10:04 PM Post #908 of 12,035
I haven't heard much about the speed and impact of the bass. Ive heard that the decay is good which is another important aspect to me as bloom/bleed is one thing that i really hate which why I hate the HD650 with a passion.

This is why I'll try to listen to it somewhere before I buy. Unlike many here, I haven't liked any CA IEMs that I kept past more than a month for various reasons, but if I'm going to like one then this has the best chance of being a keeper.

I've heard that there is some hiss on these as well which bothers me too. Has anyone used these with a hugo 2 that can comment on the hiss?

Nov 4, 2018 at 10:52 PM Post #910 of 12,035
Possibly a weird question, but could anyone compare Solaris to Hyla CE-5? Specifically interested in the bass response of the two. (N8 too, if possible, but I’m guessing not as many people have tried it?)

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2018 at 10:55 PM Post #911 of 12,035
There are even opinions that Dunu DK4001 (less than 1k usd) has better soundstage than Tia Fourte lol

Well those opinions are wrong. Tia Fourte has one of the largest soundstages in IEMs.

Nov 4, 2018 at 11:05 PM Post #913 of 12,035
Well those opinions are wrong. Tia Fourte has one of the largest soundstages in IEMs.

Yeah Fourte soundstage is massive. It’s... unnatural sounding though. Huge wow factor when I first listened to it, but since then, I’ve liked it less and less the more I try it. Maybe the Fourte 2 coming out next year will be better?

Nov 4, 2018 at 11:11 PM Post #914 of 12,035
Yeah Fourte soundstage is massive. It’s... unnatural sounding though. Huge wow factor when I first listened to it, but since then, I’ve liked it less and less the more I try it. Maybe the Fourte 2 coming out next year will be better?
It will also be $5k.

Nov 4, 2018 at 11:14 PM Post #915 of 12,035
Possibly a weird question, but could anyone compare Solaris to Hyla CE-5? Specifically interested in the bass response of the two. (N8 too, if possible, but I’m guessing not as many people have tried it?)

Purely in terms of bass response, I feel the Hyla blows Solaris away. Actually I've never heard IEM bass as good as the Hyla, it is so tight and visceral. Similarly impressive soundstage, simply enormous. But Hyla's aggressive V-shape is not suitable towards all genres. It's a specialized sound and I keep mine around mainly for electronic music. Solaris is way more well rounded and neutral. Much better mids and realistic timbre, excellent for vocals.

After a week or so A/B'ing Solaris vs Flamenco, I think I give the edge to Flamenco as a matter of personal taste but I'm also confident that the Solaris is one of the best IEMs at any price point. Better than U18t and way better than Phantom/LX/Fourte... all of which are more expensive. Quite a bargain this Solaris.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back