Campfire - Solaris
Nov 3, 2018 at 4:45 PM Post #841 of 12,035
43C26EF4-0BB3-4611-B5B2-AFF99F802A63.jpeg OT but EX1K NEEDS DEEP INSERTION to ameliorate its peakiness, it's still bright but much more tolerable!

Nov 3, 2018 at 5:04 PM Post #842 of 12,035
Really? Maybe I should reconsider
It's just my opinion and seeing the crazy prices that are sought for these I found the 7550 as enjoyable. Looks like you need the Solaris and then move on to another hobby! Don't want to derail the thread, and will probably fall into the Solaris trap. Had the Andro's twice and could not get a good fit and the Solaris looks pretty big but tempting from what we are reading.

Nov 3, 2018 at 6:36 PM Post #843 of 12,035
Can anyone recommend a good balanced cable for these? The memory wire part is a little troublesome, and have a dac on the way with balanced outputs.

Nov 3, 2018 at 7:11 PM Post #844 of 12,035
@orifiel When you have time, and after you've come to know the Solaris better, I'd really love to hear more detailed comparative impressions to the Andromeda S. (I have the S, and am considering getting the Solaris, too)

Of course...my burn in is slow but maybe in a few weeks it’s done

Nov 3, 2018 at 7:14 PM Post #845 of 12,035
Can anyone recommend a good balanced cable for these? The memory wire part is a little troublesome, and have a dac on the way with balanced outputs.

Same question here...there are not balanced superlitz for now....
Then...any suggestions?
Maybe the Lionheart?
Or only the regular litz cable from Alo Audio??

Nov 3, 2018 at 7:30 PM Post #846 of 12,035
When you get a chance would you mind playing a couple of my bass test tracks and let me know how it sounds with those tips?
Alone by Kryptic Minds
Lace by Random Rab
Your thoughts would be appreciated!!

Alone by Kriptic Minds : this shows off the great sub bass extension of the Solaris, the bass is both getting very low I can "feel" the sub like a subwoofer really an amazing track to test the sub bass extension. There is no hint of saturation the bass is very well controlled and the contrast with the crystal clear highs shows extension both ways nothing is lost in the upper register. Also the reverb effect in the mids is superbly rendered expanding the soundstage which is very big. Last but not least the bass is very textured there is a lot of details in there. => Liked it, even listened to the full album in fact. The are a lot of tracks that show off not only sub bass but also how great soundstage and imaging is on the Solaris. It never gets congested and remains airy even with sub bass heavy tracks, the subs have space to work with so to speak.

I am confident the Solaris is a great IEM for the genre. A must hear if you're in doubt the Solaris has great sub bass extension. I also noted how well it rendered the highs and some tracks really showed of the speed of the drivers. Bass is fatest than I expected, snappy performance on "Brief passing" where the bass quickly fires and decay is quick and clean. Very impressive. "Fade to nothing" and "A glimpse of hope" are nice tracks to show off the performance of the highs, both the extension, the speed, the weight and smoothness.

Lace by Random Rab : the intro is delicately rendered, again great extension in the sub very subwoofer like it's how I expect a good sub would render it only with a lot more nuances you clearly hear variations in the sub bass. Around 3:10 you clearly hear something like rain first on the right then progressively panning on the left before fading out. I have less comments on this track as it's not as rich as the other one musically.

Then...any suggestions?
Maybe the Lionheart?

I'd need a 2pin/MMCX to test the Lionheart with the Solaris and I don't have one but I doubt this would be a bad pairing.

The Hansound Zen I am using is a nice match (for my taste), in fact I am upgrading to 8 wires. It's a copper cable and I recommend THL's review.

I might get a Thor II 8 wires or Leonidas II down the line, later as it's a bit of a budget :p

But the question really is more what you're looking for before choosing any cable. In depth reviews are a great help there. Once you're familiar with Solaris signature ask yourself what you'd like to tweak (if anything). Contrary to many IEMs I have a feeling you'll get marginal improvements as there are no faults to its signature IMHO. No peaks to smooth out, no lacks to compensate... if anything I'd pick anything that is highly transparent. You can probably push soundstage further and get richer textures with something like Thor II especially 8 wires.

Also consider source upgrade first, if need be.
I haven't even tried Solaris with Mojo yet, since it sounds so amazing with WM1Z. I have a feeling it will sound great with SP1000 has well, probably a different flavor of Solaris than 1Z.

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2018 at 7:52 PM Post #848 of 12,035
Then...any suggestions?
Maybe the Lionheart?
The Super Litz Cables should be up on the CA store soon enough.
I have plenty of cables and find that more often than not the CA stock cable - whilst of a high quality in themselves - usually complement the CA IEMs as well.

0CE3D96B-D320-462B-BCE3-8C8C12F57CB6.jpeg

——————————————-

Taking @KB advice and downloaded the Beck album I first demoed with at the Tokyo show. Now to get some Foam tips on the Solaris and repeat the experient - but with different daps.

Maybe do some amp swapping to find that sweet synergy with the DX200.

19C7D008-1966-4EDD-9545-EB8B15F5DA63.jpeg

B81F83F0-6227-458A-89DB-5447BF6B2E6D.jpeg

Campfire Audio Solaris, 4.4mm CA balanced Super litz cable and iBasso DX200 with Amp8

Nov 3, 2018 at 8:07 PM Post #849 of 12,035
Alone by Kriptic Minds : this shows off the great sub bass extension of the Solaris, the bass is both getting very low I can "feel" the sub like a subwoofer really an amazing track to test the sub bass extension. There is no hint of saturation the bass is very well controlled and the contrast with the crystal clear highs shows extension both ways nothing is lost in the upper register. Also the reverb effect in the mids is superbly rendered expanding the soundstage which is very big. Last but not least the bass is very textured there is a lot of details in there. => Liked it, even listened to the full album in fact. The are a lot of tracks that show off not only sub bass but also how great soundstage and imaging is on the Solaris. It never gets congested and remains airy even with sub bass heavy tracks, the subs have space to work with so to speak.

I am confident the Solaris is a great IEM for the genre. A must hear if you're in doubt the Solaris has great sub bass extension. I also noted how well it rendered the highs and some tracks really showed of the speed of the drivers. Bass is fatest than I expected, snappy performance on "Brief passing" where the bass quickly fires and decay is quick and clean. Very impressive. "Fade to nothing" and "A glimpse of hope" are nice tracks to show off the performance of the highs, both the extension, the speed, the weight and smoothness.

Lace by Random Rab : the intro is delicately rendered, again great extension in the sub very subwoofer like it's how I expect a good sub would render it only with a lot more nuances you clearly hear variations in the sub bass. Around 3:10 you clearly hear something like rain first on the right then progressively panning on the left before fading out. I have less comments on this track as it's not as rich as the other one musically.

Thanks man! I appreciate your well thought out impressions. Very thoroughly analyzed!

Yea, the Kryptic Minds album is much better musically than the other track, I just love the sub bass in Lace haha.

I think you've just convinced me that Solaris is next on my list. Making it really hard to not put that order in right now haha.

Nov 3, 2018 at 8:13 PM Post #851 of 12,035
@jude Judes preview of the Shanghai CanJam has some Solaris comments at 420.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/can...on-rmaf-shanghai.860196/page-85#post-14572990

Highlights:

3511349B-2803-4F8E-9C2B-200FF51906D8.png

“In my opinion the Solaris improves upon the Andromeda...

9099C251-6455-49F4-902A-1C697BDDAA1B.png

...with even wider imaging and deeper...

2689E1D6-F637-4AAB-B46B-F929B77AE69E.png

...more emphasized bass that is only mildy emphasized...

4A591731-BD7B-4608-81D3-372134333F57.png

...The Solaris treble also sounds more extended and airy to me...

583E0999-FC22-48ED-95FD-13F745108925.png

...The Solaris is built beautifully of machined aluminium with a 24 carat gold plated lid...

1FC0E114-AF31-4F4C-856A-357ABDCB3304.png

...its a gorgeous IEM....

C0CADD8E-6CFE-4D0D-89F1-B54D2DED26DD.png

...and you will be able to hear it at Canjam Shanghai”

Attachments

• 29ABAA64-859A-4D63-8DF9-0462639B778E.png
    29ABAA64-859A-4D63-8DF9-0462639B778E.png
    531.6 KB · Views: 0
Nov 3, 2018 at 8:26 PM Post #852 of 12,035
Thanks man! I appreciate your well thought out impressions. Very thoroughly analyzed!
Yea, the Kryptic Minds album is much better musically than the other track, I just love the sub bass in Lace haha.
I think you've just convinced me that Solaris is next on my list. Making it really hard to not put that order in right now haha.

Glad I could help and thanks to you discover new music (and seal the fact that Solaris has subwoofer like sub when called for)

Well, you can't go wrong really :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back