Campfire - Solaris
Oct 31, 2018 at 1:04 PM Post #586 of 12,035
I'd be very curious when you have some more time with the Solaris how you compare them to 64 audio N8 @twister6 ?

Further listening... the soundstage and imaging as we all seem to agree is just very very impressive...
I wished I had heard the Andro because aside from VE8 I never had such fun with trebles...

Good to know that bass tightens as it burns in, I do miss that a bit wishing for a tad more impact. I'll do some tip rolling for good measure as well as give Mojo + Solaris a try but 1Z is such a good match...

Aside from that, I love vocals on the Solaris, there is a lot of nuances conveyed here and both male and female vocals are superb... kudos!

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2018 at 1:09 PM Post #587 of 12,035
Lmao this might be a little too bass light in terms of quantity but the rest of it is so good

Oct 31, 2018 at 1:10 PM Post #588 of 12,035
I think it’s pretty accurate. More bass to me than Andros from a low OI. It hits harder than Andro. And most importantly the bass feels REAL. No BA bass here. It’s similar to the Forte in quantity, without the midbass hole the Forte is known for.

Oct 31, 2018 at 1:10 PM Post #589 of 12,035
Lmao this might be a little too bass light in terms of quantity but the rest of it is so good

As @twister6 said, it will tighten with burn in, also the textures on bass are so rich that quantity takes a back seat I am hearing nuances I had missed out on with every other IEM I own...

Done my homework on sibilance and there isn't any even on the worst tracks I have handy...

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2018 at 1:34 PM Post #591 of 12,035
These are IMO a different league than Andros. I had the Andros as a stop-gap between TOTL IEMS (u18t, Forte, LX, etc) and it was very very good for its price but it's not really directly comparable for me to the u18t or Forte was. The Andro is extremely good, but it's not summit-fi IEM level. The Andro's used are a fantastic IEM value to performance and gets you about 80% of the way to the best of the best in my opinion.

The Solaris is closer to that truly top tier of performance (for me), and I would compare them favorably or at least at the same level of the best IEMs out there right now. I just sold both my Andro and Focal Utopia to see if I could go back to a 1 IEM type guy, and these are as satisfying for me.

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2018 at 2:04 PM Post #594 of 12,035
So I just tried a deeper insertion with comply foams. It's deeper than both Pat and David's insertions. The bass really comes alive with this. The better seal helps too I guess.

Oct 31, 2018 at 2:23 PM Post #596 of 12,035
The Solaris is closer to that truly top tier of performance (for me), and I would compare them favorably or at least at the same level of the best IEMs out there right now. I just sold both my Andro and Focal Utopia to see if I could go back to a 1 IEM type guy, and these are as satisfying for me.

Have you ever tried KSE1500's? I'm curious how these hold up, as I'm looking for a more fun iem to complement it.

The question of the day is......these or Sony IER-Z1R?
Only time will tell :)

Well the Sony Z1R sounded pretty nice to me! I still would choose a couple iem's above it when it comes to sound :) Curious to see how Solaris and Z1R compare too, i really enjoyed the andros for the money so Solaris seems compelling.

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Oct 31, 2018 at 2:36 PM Post #598 of 12,035
These are IMO a different league than Andros. I had the Andros as a stop-gap between TOTL IEMS (u18t, Forte, LX, etc) and it was very very good for its price but it's not really directly comparable for me to the u18t or Forte was. The Andro is extremely good, but it's not summit-fi IEM level. The Andro's used are a fantastic IEM value to performance and gets you about 80% of the way to the best of the best in my opinion.

So, how does this compare to the LX? Is it more U18t or somewhere in the middle between the two?

Oct 31, 2018 at 2:38 PM Post #599 of 12,035
So I just tried a deeper insertion with comply foams. It's deeper than both Pat and David's insertions. The bass really comes alive with this. The better seal helps too I guess.
You should try the Final tips. I know with my Atlas they allow for the deepest insertion and improve the sound quality for me as a whole.

Oct 31, 2018 at 2:40 PM Post #600 of 12,035
So, how does this compare to the LX? Is it more U18t or somewhere in the middle between the two?

Much closer to the U18t than the LX in presentation and sound quality for me. The LX is the best universal fit of all time, with INSANE bass. A audiophile bassheads dream. The Solaris isn't that. It's very balanced. A do everything IEM that is solid in nearly every aspect like the u18t was to me. This sounds a little more natural than the u18t did for me, too. Vocals are better and more forward, bass decay is more realistic. I'd say the U18t and Solaris are pretty direct competitors to me, but the Solaris is more exciting of the two.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back