Campfire - Solaris
Oct 29, 2018 at 5:17 AM Post #301 of 12,035
Those guys are saying the Vega is better due to their own taste. You shouldn't listen to these guys because as you said, the Andros sounded better for you.
I also think that the Andro sounded better for metal compared to Vega (and also The Atlas), and I listen to a lot of extreme metal mainly death, doom and black metal, with some progressive stuff thrown in the mix.

The Vega in my opinion is best for EDMs.

Waiting for the Solaris is an excellent idea as it could be perfect for your taste, just have another audition and get the one you like the most.

Agreed. My main genre is metal and I chose the Andromeda (Green and then S). Have also auditioned the Atlas and the Vega. Nice IEM's for sure, but for my tastes, it was Andromeda all the way, no doubt, no hesitation. So I would second the advice of listening with your own ears and deciding based on your own impressions.

Oct 29, 2018 at 6:51 AM Post #302 of 12,035
Those guys are saying the Vega is better due to their own taste. You shouldn't listen to these guys because as you said, the Andros sounded better for you.
I also think that the Andro sounded better for metal compared to Vega (and also The Atlas), and I listen to a lot of extreme metal mainly death, doom and black metal, with some progressive stuff thrown in the mix.

The Vega in my opinion is best for EDMs.

Waiting for the Solaris is an excellent idea as it could be perfect for your taste, just have another audition and get the one you like the most.

Yeah Andro in all forms of metal is a beast! You can use its chamelon-like behaviour with different output impedances to your advantage as well. For example WM1A for neutralish tuning and Mojo or iphone dongle for V-Shape...

However, I think Solaris will be THE IEM, that will make me sell my beloved Andros, tho :)

Oct 29, 2018 at 7:43 AM Post #303 of 12,035
Hate to extend the price debacle but just wanted to say I think people underestimate the difficulty of making small things.

Especially outside of audio circles, but even within, I see a lot of people write things like "I'd never spend that much on IEMs" but are perfectly happy spending thousands of dollars on dacs/amps and full size cans.

Even if material costs might be overall lower, IEMs require tight tolerances, durability testing, R&D, etc. I wouldn't be surprised if they gave smaller manufacturing yields at the high end compared to full-sized cans because of the precision needed. I'd be surprised if the margins for IEMs are significantly larger than other audio gear.

[...]

Of course, I would love cheaper gear, but I think that if there's a reasonable argument there, it would have to extend to the entire industry - not just IEMs.

This type of response reminds me of the DSLR scene about 10-15 years ago. There were a lot of people back then (many of them consumers like you) explaining why the full-frame Canon 1Ds had to be 2x as expensive as the identically spec'ed 1D that had only an aps-h sensor. And people became convinced after 3 iterations (original, mark 2 and mark 3) that this is the natural order of things: full-frame costs 2x as much, and they were happy to pay what it took to have the full-frame. Then came Nikon with the D3, their first full-frame pro camera at 65% of the cost of the Canon 1Ds and everybody went "Hey, wait a minute! Was this possible all along?" Yes, it was possible all along.

The point I'm trying to make is that the prices we're seeing now cannot be explained by tight tolerances (have you ever taken a close look at these IEMs?) or durability testing (they're not supposed to survive a drop, so what durability testing are you talking about?) or R&D (which every industry needs). They are explained by the fact that the target group is willing to pay these prices.

I bought 2 pairs of Andromedas (one Green, one S) and I'm very happy with them. But at the same time I think they are grossly overpriced (I'm not thinking here how they compare to ripoffs like the 64Audio IEMs, etc. but in terms of absolute profit margins). Ken (or Caleb) know this but the point of a business is to make money so I will not fault them for it. The fact that they are so much cheaper than many worse sounding gear is probably a great strategic move which helps with their image and appeal (and might be very helpful if the pricing bubble suddenly bursts).

However, I don't think it's healthy (neither for the consumer, nor for the manufacturer) if the consumer turns into fanboy. Instead of finding excuses for the manufacturer for everything you are not 100% happy with, you should demand that they improve. You already voted with your wallet, that is the highest praise you can give them. Now be a bit more critical.

Oct 29, 2018 at 7:57 AM Post #304 of 12,035

So I would second the advice of listening with your own ears and deciding based on your own impressions.

That's the trick though, isn't it? ...no idea when I'll have a chance to check out the Solaris. I'm so itching for an upgrade that I'm tempted to just order them and return if they're not right...but we all know what will happen once I have them...they're not going back...

Oct 29, 2018 at 8:25 AM Post #305 of 12,035
That's the trick though, isn't it? ...no idea when I'll have a chance to check out the Solaris. I'm so itching for an upgrade that I'm tempted to just order them and return if they're not right...but we all know what will happen once I have them...they're not going back...

You can also try to pick up a used Andromeda (the market may be "flooded" by those looking to upgrade to the Solaris) and get to know it for a while until you get a chance to try out the Solaris yourself. Then if you prefer the Solaris, it should be no problem letting go of the Andros at minimal loss. Just a thought.

Oct 29, 2018 at 8:45 AM Post #306 of 12,035
Listening update: had the Solaris on constant play over the weekend (swapping between M0 and DX200 when the batteries cycled down). Managed to put about 40hrs on them, so approaching 50hrs total play time since they arrived.

Still not doing any "critical" listening, but popped them in for an hour earlier on and the layering seems to be coming to the fore in my head now (could be brain burn). Sound still feels large and out of the head, with a richness of tone and solidity that is really addictive.

Bass isn't on the same level in terms of quantity to the Atlas or Vega, but extends loooow and feels pretty flat all the way down. Still not a bass-neutral sound, but feels more towards balanced and natural than the single DD models in terms of how it sits with the mids and treble.

Overall: still hugely impressed with the sound I'm getting. Plays really nicely with acoustic and classic rock, and modern classical. Also no issues with coherence - very difficult to discern where the crossover is, and what is being picked up by BA or DD. Very well integrated and consistent in high tone and weight.

Back on the burner for another 48 hrs then can start taking some proper notes!

Oct 29, 2018 at 9:49 AM Post #308 of 12,035
I'm looking forward to a comparison with the Legend X. I find the LX pretty addictive with the best bass presentation I've heard up until now and the rest of it isnt too shabby either. I used to have the Andros and loved them although I always thought they were lacking a bit of bass presence. If the Solaris fixes that then I can see myself picking a pair up.

A quick question regarding MMCX connectors...has anyone tried using 2 pin to MMCX adapters and are they any good?

Oct 29, 2018 at 9:53 AM Post #309 of 12,035
Shame that CA starting to go slowly to overpriced root as others. I think $1500 is really a lot for IEM (no matter how much ask greedy 64Audio, Empire, SE etc..). Just my opinion.

Gotta pay to play. It's not just IEMs, everything is like that. I wanted a better 911 for track days so I took a huge loss on my Carrera GTS trade in for a new GT3RS but it will be worth it as it will be the last car I own. Maybe it's because I have no kids so I feel like there's no sense in dying without enjoying myself as much as possible.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2018 at 10:08 AM Post #310 of 12,035
Bass isn't on the same level in terms of quantity to the Atlas or Vega, but extends loooow and feels pretty flat all the way down. Still not a bass-neutral sound, but feels more towards balanced and natural than the single DD models in terms of how it sits with the mids and treble.

This is actually really good to hear, because I think the bass quantity of the Vega and Atlas is just too far north of neutral, and this is coming from someone who is a borderline-basshead!

Can’t wait to hear these!

Oct 29, 2018 at 10:26 AM Post #311 of 12,035
This is actually really good to hear, because I think the bass quantity of the Vega and Atlas is just too far north of neutral, and this is coming from someone who is a borderline-basshead!

Can’t wait to hear these!

Yeah the bass on the Vega was too much for me and didn't feel that the venting worked to the point that it hurt my right eardrum. I do admit I play music at really high levels so that is on me too, but other IEMs with good venting like 64 audio has never given me a problem.

I'm almost sure that I will not wait for the Solaris and might put it at the top of the list for my next purchase.

Oct 29, 2018 at 10:41 AM Post #312 of 12,035
Gotta pay to play. It's not just IEMs, everything is like that. I wanted a better 911 for track days so I took a huge loss on my Carrera GTS trade in for a new GT3RS but it will be worth it as it will be the last car I own. Maybe it's because I have no kids so I feel like there's no sense in dying without enjoying myself as much as possible.

This +1.

I too have no kids and no real financial responsibilities outside of living expenses. Figure better enjoy life to the fullest, no use waiting when who knows how long you've got on this planet.

Oct 29, 2018 at 10:49 AM Post #313 of 12,035
I don't know anything about cars, but if I'm not mistaken the ones you mentioned are luxury products. I hope IEMs will not get this status anytime soon.

Oct 29, 2018 at 11:07 AM Post #315 of 12,035
Haha Aren't these already? When the vast majority of IEMs produced globally are under $200 I'd say anything costing 5-10x as much would be considered luxury
Maybe, but I would say that it's the marketing strategy that defines something as luxury, not the price. And so far I haven't seen an overwhelming amount of emphasis on brand name/heritage (probably because the most popular hi-fi IEMs right now are from new brands), exclusivity or fashion. Then again, I'm quite new to this tier of audio.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back