Campfire - Solaris
Aug 10, 2020 at 1:17 AM Post #9,766 of 12,035
Haha, ok, no worries.

Frankly I skimmed over that phrase for quite awhile when I first came to reading reviews of hi-fi gear, so I don't assume everyone else knows what it refers to in that context as I was willfully ignorant of it for some time myself.

Gah. This is impossible to answer really since we all have different preferences.

The Arya's are highly capable headphones. I felt that way when I first got them and still do. They were the first $1000+ purchase for me in headphones and showed me what high end phones can do (rival good speakers in many respects). (And they finally convinced me that it was ok to spend that type of money on these things).

But ever since I got them I also felt something was off about their tonality. Something did not satisfy even as impressed as I was (am) by their technicalities. (I tried to remedy this with EQ and various amps, which, having done this before with speakers, I should have known better than, and of course it did not work: you can't fundamentally alter a transducer's sound with making changes in the chain behind it ime). They simply aren't engaging enough for me and their mids, especially vocals, are too distant/recessed.

So if you have the Solaris and like that presentation then you may not, like me, like the presentation (at least as much) of the Arya's, which I have tried to compare/contrast a bit with the Solaris in my earlier post, as it is quite a bit different. Or maybe you'll like it better; you'll discover this more analytic/clinical, distant, "intellectual" approach with more sound stage is more to your preference.

I will say that the Arya's are very comfortable if that's part of what is motivating your decision; however I also find the Solaris 2020 very comfortable. I can have them in my ears for hours and hours on end without issue (I have medium sized ears). I actually listened to them for over 9 hours the other day with only a few very short breaks for routine things like making short business calls or using the restroom. I didn't tire of them in my ears, nor did I fatigue of their sound with different genres (but mostly more "in your face/intense" music like rock, metal, energetic jazz, etc).

Really there is no way for you to know what to do here outside of trying the Arya's for yourself. That's the best advice I can give.

EDIT: Just did a tiny bit of a/b'ing again with the Solaris 2020 and Arya's and there is just something off to me about the Arya's tonality, especially with pop/rock. They sound sharp, etchy, kind of dry, the highs are almost "metalicy", and the vocals especially are thin (if articulate). Beyond all that, they just don't engage you, draw you into the music. You definitely feel more like an observer, a clinician, overviewing and critiquing the sound instead of "living it". That's partly due to their tonality and partly due to the almost "you are hovering above the sound stage" instead of being immersed in it presentation. They still remain very good headphones, however; again, the technicalities such as imaging, PRaT, decay, instrument separation, etc. are all good to very good.

Wow, thanks so much for your detailed feedback, it really helped me a lot with my plans in purchasing the Arya. Really appreciate the intricate details of your experience with both solaris and arya. Since i already got the Solaris and is spoiled by the accuracy and realism to almost any tracks/songs thrown at it, it's difficult for me to return to a lesser (listening experience) headphone or iem. Perhaps i should consider looking again into other open back hp options before i pull the trigger on Arya. I was 90% into buying them before your comparison and opinions of the two (which is a big help) since there are no audiophile gear/ sellers around where i live, and is entitled to blind purchase from other countries via online. This is why most of my purchase decisions are based on reviews here on headfi and other sources. Right now, i prefer to have a good sound stage open back headphone and should be similarly capable to the SQ of Solaris, but mids shouldn't be recessed (as you mentioned for Arya). Will look more into other greater options. Thanks a lot! :beerchug:

Aug 10, 2020 at 1:32 AM Post #9,767 of 12,035
@vylts Check out the Sennheiser HD800S for a classical reference or Focal Clear for instrument separation and slightly-focused mids (the more power the source/amp has, the more lush the mids). Both should have decent used offerings and 3rd party accessories at this point as well.

Aug 10, 2020 at 1:50 AM Post #9,768 of 12,035
So I finally did a full session compare/contrast between the Solaris 2020 and my Arya's in the sense that I listened to this album in its entirety with both. First the Arya's, then the Solaris 2020. Both out of my RME ADI-2 DAC FS.

This is not a "reference" album for me (although the label does tend to produce well, to very well, recorded albums); in fact this is the first time I've ever listened to it.

A big thanks for mentioning this... this is right up my alley music wise, particularly since it's recorded on a very unusual Arpeggione and on a piano that almost sounds like a fortepiano.. Marvellous tone and character to this piece.. I look forward to listening to it on the Solaris 2020.

I'm only familiar with this version and I really enjoy the "authenticity" of yours.

Last edited:
Aug 10, 2020 at 8:00 AM Post #9,769 of 12,035
20200810_184849.jpg

And mine just arrived...
hope not too late for the hype train... hehehe

Aug 10, 2020 at 1:07 PM Post #9,770 of 12,035
20200810_184849.jpg

And mine just arrived...
hope not too late for the hype train... hehehe
I love the Xelastec tips, however, I've decided they aren't for me with the Solaris. I lose too much low end Punch with them on the Solaris, however I do really enjoy them on my LCDi4. I've actually returned to using the Campfire Audio Marshmallow tips on my Solaris. I've gotten over the look of them sitting farther outside my ear, and happen to really enjoy the sound with the Marshmallow tips. Outside of decreased low end, I thought the Xelastec tips sounded nice on the Solaris, though.

Aug 10, 2020 at 2:09 PM Post #9,771 of 12,035
I love the Xelastec tips, however, I've decided they aren't for me with the Solaris. I lose too much low end Punch with them on the Solaris, however I do really enjoy them on my LCDi4. I've actually returned to using the Campfire Audio Marshmallow tips on my Solaris. I've gotten over the look of them sitting farther outside my ear, and happen to really enjoy the sound with the Marshmallow tips. Outside of decreased low end, I thought the Xelastec tips sounded nice on the Solaris, though.

Do they fit easily on the LCD-i4?

Aug 10, 2020 at 2:39 PM Post #9,772 of 12,035
really ? wow ears are really different .. on the Solaris 2020 i think they get better punch out of them then other tips :D try them in a tip size smaller than your regular size

Aug 10, 2020 at 3:14 PM Post #9,773 of 12,035
I bought the Xelastec to see how they would compare to my ADV custom tips (which make the Solaris stick out). I too found that I lost the low end and gave up on them.

Aug 10, 2020 at 7:50 PM Post #9,776 of 12,035
20200810_210123.jpg

intial impression, sticky, quite big for S size (my left ear not fit, too big)...
Fitting issued on my left ear, this cause isolation not too good...
But since its really stick, although not fully insert, still it really stay in the ear...

The molding somehow is not as good fit as my custom eartip...

Sound impression, assuming the sound when its good fitting is the same to what I hear...

Sub bass present, not too detail
Mid bass tight punch, by QTY, flip mod eartip is better in this sector...

Vocal, Male clear but a bit recess, while Female seems more forward.

High, good clarity with a bit smooth in upper treble...

Not to wide soundstage, and so so Depth... quite bit challenging in Imaging...

resolution, Good...
Separation, the gap black background quite distinct and layer good...

this is my intial impression based on unproper fitting, especially in my left ear... IMO.

Using Solaris OG, DX228EX (filter no. 4, mid Gain) & Brise UPG001Ref.
Song :
Billie Ellish - my future
Billie Elish - Xanny
K.I.Z - Hurra die Welt geht unter
A.R. Rahman - Dacoit Duel
The postal Service - Such Great Heights
The Black Eyed Peas - My Humps

edit :
Rihanna - No Love Allow
her sound is veiled...

for me, I don't mind the mid Bass character...
do you find also roll off the Spark?
Fitting was my issued..

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2020 at 12:34 AM Post #9,777 of 12,035
@vylts Check out the Sennheiser HD800S for a classical reference or Focal Clear for instrument separation and slightly-focused mids (the more power the source/amp has, the more lush the mids). Both should have decent used offerings and 3rd party accessories at this point as well.

Thank you for the recommendations, will definitely look into them more.

Aug 11, 2020 at 4:26 AM Post #9,778 of 12,035
Do they fit easily on the LCD-i4?
Yes, it was a relatively easy fit. Flip the flapped over part up, exposing the stem work to stretch one side over then pull a little to get the other. Took a small amount of work, but fat easier than I expected. Took me about 30 to 40sec the first time

Aug 11, 2020 at 4:28 AM Post #9,779 of 12,035
really ? wow ears are really different .. on the Solaris 2020 i think they get better punch out of them then other tips :D try them in a tip size smaller than your regular size
I get a great seal, that's not the issue. It's the characteristics of the material.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back