Campfire - Solaris
Aug 14, 2020 at 2:27 AM Post #9,796 of 12,035
I read in this thread that the Solaris pairs very well with the Sony WM1A, and I seem to have caught upgraditis again. I ordered the WM1A and will be receiving it in the next few days!

Question: I read that these earphones sound the best with a balanced cable on the WM1A, but it seems overkill to use the WM1A to listen to internet radio (I do that for a few hours in the morning). Is there such thing as a 3.5mm single-ended male to 4.4mm balanced female adapter? I want to use a balanced cable with the iPhone (Lightning-to-3.5mm adapter), so not have to change cables every morning.

Congratualtions on the Solaris 2020. I have it paired with the WM1A and though there is a faint hiss in between tracks, it's a very nice pairing.
Unless I'm mistaken, you cannot use the WM1A with radio as there's no tuner and it's not Android based so no internet.

But the adapter you want is available.
https://penonaudio.com/earphone-adapters/fiio-ll-4.4m.html

I do find the WM1A sounds better in balanced out. Someone I know though prefers the SE so it's worth exploring both options.

Aug 14, 2020 at 10:33 AM Post #9,799 of 12,035
I joined the Solaris 2020 club! I got it last month and have been lurking around this thread, reading your impressions and interesting discussions. I'm only on page 380 of this thread.

I started with the Polaris II and have been enjoying it for over half a year. Then I caught upgraditis and couldn't resist the beauty of the Solaris. Reading your impressions, mini reviews, and full reviews just got me more excited! So I finally bought it.

It now has about 200 hours on it. The burn-in period is real. In the first 50 hours, the sound seemed bloated and lacked the details and airy sound that I was expecting. At around 100 hours, the sound opened up a lot. The bass had the most significant change. It became tighter, deeper, and nicely textured. At about 150 hours, the most significant change was the treble. It calmed down a bit and was extra smooth, while maintaining that airy feel and great extension. Overall, I'm extremely satisfied with the Solaris 2020, and wish I got it sooner. The sound right now, at about 200 hours, is detailed, beautiful, powerful bass; lush and inviting mids; and sparkly airy treble that never sounds harsh or fatiguing. Basically, I concur with what most of you have said about the amazing music that the Solaris can convey.

The ear tips I have tried are:
Campfire Audio Marshmallow, Campfire Audio silicone, Final Type E, Symbio W (regular and Peel), JVC Spiral Dot, and AZLA XELASTEC. My favorites are
--- Marshmallow - Extremely comfortable; warm sound; but bass doesn't have that great impact and the treble is sometimes too smooth. Very good mids though.
--- Spiral Dot - Great sound with nice deep bass, but harder to get a good seal and sometimes I lose the seal after a while. I also have to insert deeper to get a good seal and that irritates my ears after about an hour.
--- Stock silicone - The ones I'm using now. Nicely balanced sound across the range. It has deep and detailed bass; the cleanest mids, and the most airy and extended treble. Also very comfortable for my ears.

I'm currently using it with the Chord Mojo and my sources are:
iPhone with iHeart internet radio in the morning --> Lightning-to-3.5mm adapter --> Solaris 2020.
iPhone with Apple Music or Qobuz the rest of the day --> Camera adapter --> Moon Audio Black Dragon USB --> Chord Mojo.
Desktop computer with JRiver or Qobuz --> Moon Audio Black Dragon USB --> Chord Mojo.
Aurender X100L (music server that's in my main speaker system) --> Moon Audio Black Dragon USB --> Chord Mojo.

I read in this thread that the Solaris pairs very well with the Sony WM1A, and I seem to have caught upgraditis again. I ordered the WM1A and will be receiving it in the next few days!

Question: I read that these earphones sound the best with a balanced cable on the WM1A, but it seems overkill to use the WM1A to listen to internet radio (I do that for a few hours in the morning). Is there such thing as a 3.5mm single-ended male to 4.4mm balanced female adapter? I want to use a balanced cable with the iPhone (Lightning-to-3.5mm adapter), so not have to change cables every morning.

Campfire Audio Solaris 2020 - 2020-07-19 - 03_resize.jpgCampfire Audio Solaris 2020 - 2020-07-19 - 02_resize.jpgCampfire Audio Solaris 2020 - 2020-07-19 - 01_resize.jpg
Excellent, glad you are loving the S20s! And it's good to see you favouring the stock silicone tips - also my tips du choix.

Aug 14, 2020 at 7:15 PM Post #9,800 of 12,035
Congratualtions on the Solaris 2020. I have it paired with the WM1A and though there is a faint hiss in between tracks, it's a very nice pairing.
Unless I'm mistaken, you cannot use the WM1A with radio as there's no tuner and it's not Android based so no internet.

But the adapter you want is available.
https://penonaudio.com/earphone-adapters/fiio-ll-4.4m.html

I do find the WM1A sounds better in balanced out. Someone I know though prefers the SE so it's worth exploring both options.

I don't think I would mind the hiss. There's a hiss with the Chord Mojo and I barely notice it, even when music is not playing.

I should have been more clear. When I say radio, I mean internet radio via the iHeart Radio app. Something like this:
iPhone (iHeartRadio) --> Bluetooth --> WM1A or
iPhone (iHeartRadio) --> Camera adapter --> USB-to-WMport cable --> WM1A.

I will definitely try the Solaris with a balanced cable. I think I will wait couple of months. I want to change one thing at a time and get used to the sound first.
Thank you for the link to the adapter!

Aug 14, 2020 at 7:16 PM Post #9,801 of 12,035
Excellent, glad you are loving the S20s! And it's good to see you favouring the stock silicone tips - also my tips du choix.

I love how the soft and thin material of the stock silicone tips! It barely exerts force in my ear canal.

Aug 14, 2020 at 7:34 PM Post #9,803 of 12,035
I so wish to know how the new all black Eletech cable Socrates pairs with the Solaris ! 😳 I am totally stupid enough to buy blindly with no reviews , impressions just on how it looks. Fcukme.

Aug 14, 2020 at 7:47 PM Post #9,805 of 12,035
I so wish to know how the new all black Eletech cable Socrates pairs with the Solaris ! 😳 I am totally stupid enough to buy blindly with no reviews , impressions just on how it looks. Fcukme.
U alrd buy it?
well is a nice cable, 24 AWG OCC Litz config. the eletech founder is ex EA, so assumed if the same like Ares II+, is more on Low/bass resolution, without compromising the vocal and soundstage. Treble a bit roll off...
I like the vocal of Solaris OG with AresII+, thick yet high resolution... IMO....

Aug 14, 2020 at 7:49 PM Post #9,806 of 12,035
U alrd buy it?
well is a nice cable, 24 AWG OCC Litz config. the eletech founder is ex EA, so assumed if the same like Ares II+, is more on Low/bass resolution, without compromising the vocal and soundstage. Treble a bit roll off...
I like the vocal of Solaris OG with AresII+, thick yet high resolution... IMO....
I am tempted too...
Hopefully its an upgrade in a technical sense from SXC 8 I own.
Before today I was set on Zeus from Satin Audio, although I would need plenty time to save up for it.

Aug 14, 2020 at 7:56 PM Post #9,807 of 12,035
All of the Solaris models love an OCC Silver cable. This type of cable will transfer everything from the source to the Solaris.

I have the DHC Clone Silver and WM1A and WM1Z and when the recording has bass it presents all of it. It also presents a wide soundstage with smooth details.

Aug 14, 2020 at 7:58 PM Post #9,808 of 12,035
I am tempted too...
Hopefully its an upgrade in a technical sense from SXC 8 I own.
Before today I was set on Zeus from Satin Audio, although I would need plenty time to save up for it.
ahh. Palladium, if possible, u need to demo this..
IMO, based on my exp, Palladium mixed with Gold, will only make the sound tends to silver...
alrd and own some... but not from Satin....

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2020 at 8:12 PM Post #9,809 of 12,035
ahh. Palladium, if possible, u need to demo this..
IMO, based on my exp, Palladium mixed with Gold, will only make the sound tends to silver...
alrd and own some... but not from Satin....
Nothing is possible to demo for me :)
Maybe HeadFi would do good with some qucik impressions request page 🙄

Aug 14, 2020 at 8:30 PM Post #9,810 of 12,035
Nothing is possible to demo for me :)
Maybe HeadFi would do good with some qucik impressions request page 🙄
hahaha... good one, I think there were, but too many things need to consider, such as, your preference Sound Signature, DAP, music genre, Song file, eartip etc...
and the chance of different meaning of interpretation...
quite spicy... yet again, trust ur ear, and happy hunting...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back