Campfire - Solaris
Jun 6, 2020 at 7:50 AM Post #9,228 of 12,035
I'm still trying to get comfortable with the fit of Solaris 2020(CA foams). My left ear fairs better than the right. I notice I fiddle with it occasionally.

The hybrid sound is difficult to get used to, but I do appreciate 2020s balanced sound. Just gonna take more listening and pairing.

Jun 6, 2020 at 8:53 AM Post #9,230 of 12,035
I'm still trying to get comfortable with the fit of Solaris 2020(CA foams). My left ear fairs better than the right. I notice I fiddle with it occasionally.

The hybrid sound is difficult to get used to, but I do appreciate 2020s balanced sound. Just gonna take more listening and pairing.

Maybe try smaller eartips on the right? I had that problem then I realised my right takes L while my left takes ML.

Jun 6, 2020 at 10:27 AM Post #9,231 of 12,035
Maybe try smaller eartips on the right? I had that problem then I realised my right takes L while my left takes ML.

Just tried out some ML Sedna tips I just bought from Amazon. The fit is better although right ear fiddles a bit. I have to say, compared to the CA foams, the Sedna tips give a fuller sound with more defined bass. Whipped out the Andromeda as well and put the ML Sednas on and it improved fit and sound even further. Thanks for the suggestions.

Jun 6, 2020 at 11:49 AM Post #9,233 of 12,035
Yes it dissects it with a skalpel-- the u12t is by design a stage monitor so this is what it excels at. Emotional engagement is secondary.

That’s how I see the U12t as well. They have plenty of details, even more apparent than the Solaris but sometimes they lack a bit that sense of musical enjoyement. Had them for 8 months and I was using them with a Leonidas II and that cable really makes them wonderful but...I never fell in love with them. Like, they never wow me like the Solaris does. But of course everyone’s tastes and needs are different :) On another topic, tested the Solaris 2020 with stock smoky super litz cable 3.5 and old white super litz 2.5 and I can hear the same difference I heard when I compared the normal litz with the smoky litz with the Andro 2019. Tested from same 3.5 port of my sp1000m with effect audio adapter. The old super litz soundstage is slightly larger, notes are sligthly sharper and more defined, less warm throughout and with a bit less impact in the bass. For my taste I prefer a bit warmer sound so I find the stock super litz smoky cable to be a better match with Solaris 2020.

I wonder if CA will sell Smoky super litz cables 2.5. At the moment there’s nothing on their website.

Jun 6, 2020 at 11:53 AM Post #9,234 of 12,035
I wonder if CA will sell Smoky super litz cables 2.5. At the moment there’s nothing on their website.

I emailed them and they said that the super smokey litz will be available for individual orders soon...I presume with the usual array of terminations. I'm hoping to get a 3.5 myself.

Jun 6, 2020 at 11:58 AM Post #9,235 of 12,035
I emailed them and they said that the super smokey litz will be available for individual orders soon...I presume with the usual array of terminations. I'm hoping to get a 3.5 myself.

Let’s hope soon. It really matches the Solaris 2020 beautifully and it’s extremely comfortable :)

Jun 6, 2020 at 1:50 PM Post #9,237 of 12,035
Last edited:
Jun 6, 2020 at 1:57 PM Post #9,238 of 12,035
As strange as this may sound, the best move I made toward comfort on the OG was swapping the cable. I have found a happy spot with the fit since this upgrade not to mention the added bonus of some slight sound improvements.

unnamed.jpg20200524_073633.jpg20200524_073619.jpg

Jun 6, 2020 at 2:08 PM Post #9,239 of 12,035
Jun 6, 2020 at 2:15 PM Post #9,240 of 12,035
Great, I'm sure you'll notice the difference. Both in terms of technicality and tonality as it too changes from warmer to much more neutral.

So dongle things got here today and I got to try this out. I think you are right it does actually sound better in high impedance mode and more of reference sound. There is more clarity and detail than before. I did not find that the airiness or soundstage was dramatically improved though. I don't want anyone to get the wrong impression that its bad, the LG V30 may be the best player you can get for the Solaris 2020's for $160 or IEMs in general. Anything less than a Solaris it may be a top choice.

If I had $300 I would get a used ZX300 though. The ZX300 just kills the LG v30 in terms of holographic soundstage. I 100% prefer the sound coming out of the balanced zx300 over the lg v30. Its like a magic holographic space of sound that is breathtaking. The LG V30 is very very very good but it just can't touch level of quality of the zx300. Even with the high impedance mode

Also specific to the Solaris 2020's. If you do this high impedance hack you are going to be very limited in volume options. The range is like 1-6, 7 would be unhealthy levels. This makes it very hard to fine tune the volume levels. The 1-6 range is with me setting -6 dB in the DAC options. If you leave it at 0dB you have even less range. There may be some sort of Rooted/Hack that can help with this, don't really know.

You could always root the V30 and install a sound mod from XDA to force high impedence mode, plus other tweaks. I haven't tried that yet, but might give it a go.

You might want to try that out, the dongle thing is a little annoying but it seems like it is worth the effort to try out. Can't beat the price of free. I did find a slight change which probably makes it worth it to do. Battery drain is dramatic using the mode though so keep that in mind. A easy on and off switch would be worth the time to test out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back