Campfire - Solaris
Mar 6, 2019 at 12:05 AM Post #3,871 of 12,035
Graphs. What a waste of time.
Booooriiiiing.
I tried the Solaris, not my thing, but the vocals were definitely not recessed
Head-fi should move all the graphs posts to the "Useless" section of this website.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mar 6, 2019 at 12:35 AM Post #3,872 of 12,035
Graphs. What a waste of time.
Booooriiiiing.
I tried the Solaris, not my thing, but the vocals were definitely not recessed
Head-fi should move all the graphs posts to the "Useless" section of this website.

If graphs really were not useful, then the people at Campfire wouldn’t even bother measuring their IEMs to match them - and use their ears instead.

Only using graphs (and rejecting what your ears tell you) = dumb
Rejecting measurements = also dumb

Mar 6, 2019 at 12:55 AM Post #3,873 of 12,035
If graphs really were not useful, then the people at Campfire wouldn’t even bother measuring their IEMs to match them - and use their ears instead.

Only using graphs (and rejecting what your ears tell you) = dumb
Rejecting measurements = also dumb
Arguing about 3rd hand measurements from unrealiable sources, for months and months on end is.... super dumb.

If these people talked about music they were listening to (even 10% of the time) instead of graphs, they would actually, I don't know, "ENJOY" the iems they keep arguing about.

Mar 6, 2019 at 1:14 AM Post #3,874 of 12,035
All else aside, there’s no reason to blindly accuse someone of working for a competitor because they have criticisms of a product.

My tongue was slightly in my cheek when I said that, however there does seem to be an odd fixation on the part of some to damage the reputation of this IEM and the small reputable company that makes it, which has me scratching my head a bit. It's one thing to have a criticism, but it's another thing to spam the message board of a product-- that you seem to have never owned or even tried-- with a single sample of someone else's months-old indirect measurements that have not been elaborated on, verified and which seem to have absolutely no corresponding reflection in the actual user experience of this product in the months since its release. Is this a persistent issue that different people are experiencing with this product then said people should share their listening experiences and contribute to the discussion...otherwise it's just (imho) a waste of bandwidth that might misleadingly detract potential buyers from what, by the vast majority of accounts, is a stellar IEM.

Mar 6, 2019 at 1:19 AM Post #3,875 of 12,035
Arguing about 3rd hand measurements from unrealiable sources, for months and months on end is.... super dumb.

If these people talked about music they were listening to (even 10% of the time) instead of graphs, they would actually, I don't know, "ENJOY" the iems they keep arguing about.

This thread hasn't been arguing about it for months on end. It became an issue at the beginning - and for good reason - because that particular individual was able to replicate his measurements across multiple days and different environments, which shows consistent technique at the very least. Rejecting that and attacking people's character (not just talking about @Rockwell75 - that exact same line of attack has been used in the past) because it's discordant with the positive Solaris vibes on this thread is at best a show of stupidity and at worst an attempt to obstruct discussion regarding a potentially important issue.

I strongly disagree with the recent poster leaving a multiple unit FR comparison of the Solaris (old data) and that of the Z1R, since it was just inflammatory and accomplished nothing. I also strongly disagree with how any dissenting opinions get treated here and would love it if there was a real solution to this situation, whether it is debunking the variance issue or acknowledging/fixing it.

Mar 6, 2019 at 1:30 AM Post #3,876 of 12,035
My tongue was slightly in my cheek when I said that, however there does seem to be an odd fixation on the part of some to damage the reputation of this IEM and the small reputable company that makes it, which has me scratching my head a bit. It's one thing to have a criticism, but it's another thing to spam the message board of a product-- that you seem to have never owned or even tried-- with a single sample of someone else's months-old indirect measurements that have not been elaborated on, verified and which seem to have absolutely no corresponding reflection in the actual user experience of this product in the months since its release.

This has been blown out of proportion. It definitely wasn't meant to be an attack on CFA or Solaris, it became that because CFA fans were overzealous in defending the Solaris after being told that someone noticed unit variation from auditions and then confirmed it with measurements. This person did not listen to multiple units, note that they sounded the same, and then start a shitfest with measurements. They heard different things in all of the units they tried and then confirmed it with measurements. He's also a reputable reviewer, no one questioned him or his measurement abilities until recently.

Multiple people in Singapore have mentioned that they heard the same unit variation. Most people in this thread own one unit and haven't auditioned another one. Unit variance is not something you would notice if you only use the one. Earlier in this thread someone mentioned recessed vocals and all the die hard supporters came to the conclusion that the vocals were recessed because he listens to jpop and jpop is crap. Someone shared their listening experience and the negative aspects were attributed to poor taste in music.

Is this a persistent issue that different people are experiencing with this product then said people should share their listening experiences and contribute to the discussion...otherwise it's just (imho) a waste of bandwidth that might misleadingly detract potential buyers from what, by the vast majority of accounts, is a stellar IEM.

Like I mentioned earlier, the issue that people are getting at isn't something you can notice with just one unit. If this issue exists then impressions really don't do any good. There's no guarantee that the unit you get will be the same as the one your friend bought or whatever. I'm not trying to say Solaris is a bad iem but I think it's silly to dismiss the criticisms. They've been focused on one issue, unit variance. Listening impressions from people who only tried one unit doesn't disprove that.

Edit missed a bit of my response: It's also misleading to potential buyers when people try to hide this under the rug. Solaris costs serious coin and if there's a major issue it needs to be addressed.

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2019 at 1:48 AM Post #3,877 of 12,035
Out of 100's and 100's of Solaris headphones out in the wild. "ONE" apparently has recessed vocals in Singapore.
God damn, stop the presses.
We need a total recall from Campfire.

But yeah, let's keep the endlessly repeating arguments going, on and on and on and on and on.....

Last edited by a moderator:
Mar 6, 2019 at 1:56 AM Post #3,878 of 12,035
As a current Andromeda owner and potential future Solaris buyer, if there truly is unit variance that would make me nervous about spending $1500 on an IEM if I wasn't sure which version I was going to get. That being said, most people who have heard the Solaris seem quite happy with the sound so maybe I would like what I hear regardless of which unit variant I received. My main concern is actually the size of the Solaris as the Andromedas can start to get uncomfortable after an hour or so of use. I've seen quite a few Solaris up for sale on Head-Fi--any previous owners care to share why they sold theirs?

Mar 6, 2019 at 1:58 AM Post #3,879 of 12,035
Out of 100's and 100's of Solaris headphones out in the wild. "ONE" apparently has recessed vocals in Singapore.
God damn, stop the presses.
We need a total recall from Campfire.

But yeah, let's keep the endlessly repeating arguments going, on and on and on and on and on.....

Whoever said anything about a recall? Don’t be hyperbolic. The issue came up because the three demos at a given location sounded different to a lot of listeners.

And I make it a point to try out headphones/IEMs before buying them because I’m fortunate enough to live somewhere with easy enough access to them, but guess what makes it harder, especially for those who are not as lucky, to trust reviewers? Not knowing whether the product you get off of their reviews will sound like the ones they listened to. See how it’s a potential issue that’s worth addressing comprehensively?

Mar 6, 2019 at 2:01 AM Post #3,880 of 12,035
As a current Andromeda owner and potential future Solaris buyer, if there truly is unit variance that would make me nervous about spending $1500 on an IEM if I wasn't sure which version I was going to get. That being said, most people who have heard the Solaris seem quite happy with the sound so maybe I would like what I hear regardless of which unit variant I received. My main concern is actually the size of the Solaris as the Andromedas can start to get uncomfortable after an hour or so of use. I've seen quite a few Solaris up for sale on Head-Fi--any previous owners care to share why they sold theirs?

It might be helpful to know how the Andromeda gets uncomfortable - is it the sharp edges? Overall IEM size? Wide nozzle?

Mar 6, 2019 at 2:05 AM Post #3,881 of 12,035
It might be helpful to know how the Andromeda gets uncomfortable - is it the sharp edges? Overall IEM size? Wide nozzle?
Wide nozzle and a general sense of pressure in the ear canal. The edges and weight of the Andromeda are fine for me and I've tried the same Comply and Spiral Dot tips with other iems and haven't had similar discomfort issues

Mar 6, 2019 at 2:11 AM Post #3,882 of 12,035
Wide nozzle and a general sense of pressure in the ear canal. The edges and weight of the Andromeda are fine for me and I've tried the same Comply and Spiral Dot tips with other iems and haven't had similar discomfort issues

I would imagine that type of discomfort would be similar with the Andromeda and Solaris - since both have wider nozzles, but someone who has both would be better equipped to answer :slight_smile: (I only replied to the earlier post because discomfort can be due to a number of things, which makes answering your question tricky)

Mar 6, 2019 at 2:21 AM Post #3,883 of 12,035
Whoever said anything about a recall? Don’t be hyperbolic. The issue came up because the three demos at a given location sounded different to a lot of listeners.

And I make it a point to try out headphones/IEMs before buying them because I’m fortunate enough to live somewhere with easy enough access to them, but guess what makes it harder, especially for those who are not as lucky, to trust reviewers? Not knowing whether the product you get off of their reviews will sound like the ones they listened to. See how it’s a potential issue that’s worth addressing comprehensively?
Yes!!! Let's address it more comprehensively. We need to talk about the same graphs over and over and over again, till everyone cries mommy and gives in.
Let's do it!!.
Unsubscribe.

Mar 6, 2019 at 2:25 AM Post #3,884 of 12,035
I would imagine that type of discomfort would be similar with the Andromeda and Solaris - since both have wider nozzles, but someone who has both would be better equipped to answer :slight_smile: (I only replied to the earlier post because discomfort can be due to a number of things, which makes answering your question tricky)
Gotcha thanks. Was hoping to try them out at Axpona but CA said they weren't planning on going this year

Mar 6, 2019 at 2:30 AM Post #3,885 of 12,035
20190306_114644.jpg
un plan DAP quest.... short session....
can confirm no hiss in 3.5 SE or 4.4 mm, pairing ZX300 with Solaris. .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back