Campfire - Solaris
Feb 13, 2019 at 9:20 PM Post #3,497 of 12,035
Battery is around the 8 to 10 hr mark, and the sound is a sort of analog neutral. Decent weight to the bass, and a nice amount of power from the amp section (not necessarily in sheer wattage, but it doors exert good control over the Solaris DD and other IEMs and headphones I use it with - always liked Cayin amps).
That sounds nice, along with the features you'd get from Android. I forgot to ask: no hiss?

What I really wish for is to have a dap with WM1A battery life, a nice warm presentation like the 1Z and streaming services.

Feb 13, 2019 at 9:30 PM Post #3,498 of 12,035
That sounds nice, along with the features you'd get from Android. I forgot to ask: no hiss?

What I really wish for is to have a dap with WM1A battery life, a nice warm presentation like the 1Z and streaming services.
I can help regarding the Hiss.... yes, there's very small, can be neglectable, only during Gap and Song that low Volume hearing.... but consider price wise, u get good value DAP that can do Streaming....

Regarding Hiss during streaming, yes, quite small, but additional POP will also if you put side by side with smartphone....

edit : I came from X5iii... to get a better picture.

but if compare to 1A and 1Z... this will be different, because the basic characteristics already different.... ZX300 will be more comparable on Sound department....
but for Noise, my ear prefer Cayin if you want the answer

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2019 at 10:27 PM Post #3,499 of 12,035
I can help regarding the Hiss.... yes, there's very small, can be neglectable, only during Gap and Song that low Volume hearing.... but consider price wise, u get good value DAP that can do Streaming....

Regarding Hiss during streaming, yes, quite small, but additional POP will also if you put side by side with smartphone....

edit : I came from X5iii... to get a better picture.

but if compare to 1A and 1Z... this will be different, because the basic characteristics already different.... ZX300 will be more comparable on Sound department....
but for Noise, my ear prefer Cayin if you want the answer
Thank you! It really sounds like a great dap for the money. Do you mean that it sounds like the zx300 in sound signature or it has similar quality?

Feb 13, 2019 at 11:40 PM Post #3,500 of 12,035
Thank you! It really sounds like a great dap for the money. Do you mean that it sounds like the zx300 in sound signature or it has similar quality?
Good comment, referring to what I demoed ZX300 a month ago, really a good DAP, can deliver great detail in 4.4 balanced like my stack at that time (X5iii + NX4DSD). But, the bass is detail rumble but not punchy (edit) for SOLARIS...
My deal breaker at that time was Streaming capabilities (can be via LDAC but I dont want), can't cue single flac file, and Noise (this is because, I was demoed in a mall, very loud environment, so I was hesitated about the noise).
But reading others used ZX300 and solaris, my impression that it was a good pairing that the noise is acceptable (or neglectable).

Answering your question about Sound signature or SQ, I need to pair it again, because using N5iiS now, I am using back to my original stock Cable Slitz SE, while when demoing ZX300, I was using 4.4 mm Abnormal Cable (warm). So already different Sound signature here...
What I remember ZX300 tends to be on warm, IMO, and N5iiS is neutral (bright in my ear). in the end.. u need to try...

Because if I dont have budget issued, I will go with that DAMN EXPENSIVE CABLE (edit : for me right now) pairing with my NOTE 8.. hehehe..
2) Janus Basso
Janus Basso cable is the side quest, really opening for my ear. Low and Mid segment really details... this is the reason why solaris DD were mean to be, IMO.
I even compare NOTE8 with janus cable vs QP1R with S.litz (3.5SE). and my ear goes to Janus pairing with Note8 (Noise and SQ).
Pairing Qp1r with janus, the noise become noticeable....

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2019 at 1:52 AM Post #3,501 of 12,035
0D0D963D-AA3B-48C7-A8F2-E9A28D78F4DF.jpeg

Attachments

• 6841A9CC-871A-477C-80CB-B9169A667D65.jpeg
    6841A9CC-871A-477C-80CB-B9169A667D65.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Feb 14, 2019 at 2:03 AM Post #3,502 of 12,035
How would you compare the Solaris to the Atlas?

Working up a more detailed comparison for my Somalia review, but a basic analogy is like the difference between a classic American muscle car (Atlas) and a Ferrari (Solaris). The Atlas is much bassier, but still has a sense of balance. The Solaris is more reserved, with better technicality and imaging, with the Atlas having more energy amd attack.

Feb 14, 2019 at 7:22 PM Post #3,505 of 12,035
any review of ALO Reference 8 4.4mm cable for solaris if compare to stock 3.5mm SE cable ? Any improvement in sound ?

Will going to use it in iBasso DX200 Amp 8 (4.4mm), will it generate more hiss noise ?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2019 at 11:04 PM Post #3,506 of 12,035
How would you compare the Solaris to the Atlas?
I own the Solaris and have had some time with a friend's Atlas. The biggest difference would be that the bass on Solaris is tuned down, and is much more well behaved. At times I felt like it was hard to believe that it is the same DD used in both models, although there are indeed similarities between the two. To me, the Solaris is a better all-rounder which might be easier to listen to for some folks.

Feb 14, 2019 at 11:26 PM Post #3,507 of 12,035
To me, the Solaris is a better all-rounder which might be easier to listen to for some folks.
There’s two of us on here from Vancouver with the Solaris?!

I find the bass on the Solaris to be absolutely perfect, and I listen to a lot of techno and electronic music. It’s very clean and tight and not at all boomy. Very similar to how it sounds on a high end standalone separates Hifi system.

Feb 14, 2019 at 11:31 PM Post #3,508 of 12,035
There’s two of us on here from Vancouver with the Solaris?!

I find the bass on the Solaris to be absolutely perfect, and I listen to a lot of techno and electronic music. It’s very clean and tight and not at all boomy. Very similar to how it sounds on a high end standalone separates Hifi system.

There's a whole two of us! Two!

I agree with you on the bass, the Solaris has just the perfect amount for me. If you're interested, can also try the ref8 cable with Solaris as I found it brings out the sub-bass more compared to the stock cable.

Feb 14, 2019 at 11:50 PM Post #3,510 of 12,035
There's a whole two of us! Two!

That makes 3 Campfire Audio fans on here from Western BC :) I bought my Atlas from Travis at Headphone Bar just last weekend...I didn't try the Solaris as it was just slightly out of my price range...all good though as I find the Atlas perfect for my ears and tastes :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back