Campfire - Solaris
Jan 9, 2019 at 4:31 AM Post #2,986 of 12,035
From my memory, Ref 8 have the low impedance, 0.8Ohm. Silver Litz is 1Ohm. Judging from your impression with Copper being lowest background hiss, it meant it have the highest impedance.

So my guess the difference in SS you’re hearing is more of output impedance matching with DAP rather than cable material itself. Ok, material related directly to impedance but you know what I meant.

On Andromeda, low IO bump up the low end while bump down the high end. High IO reverse it.

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2019 at 8:37 AM Post #2,987 of 12,035
Hi guys,

Currawong’s review was too convincing.. so I’ve ordered from hifiheadphones. I will be using the Chord Mojo with it for a portable set up. At home I have a Chord Qutest, is there a solid state amplifier that you guys suggest for a desktop set up? I have a HD800 and SE846.

Thanks for your help

Jan 9, 2019 at 6:17 PM Post #2,988 of 12,035
Anyone noticed patches of discolouration when using the (faux) leather case? Guess it's something to do with moisture or whatever but it's kind of annoying

Jan 9, 2019 at 7:29 PM Post #2,989 of 12,035
Hi guys,

Currawong’s review was too convincing.. so I’ve ordered from hifiheadphones. I will be using the Chord Mojo with it for a portable set up. At home I have a Chord Qutest, is there a solid state amplifier that you guys suggest for a desktop set up? I have a HD800 and SE846.

Thanks for your help
I loved the Ifi micro iDSD black label with both my hd800 (sdr modded) and my Solaris. Im sure it'd do the se846 well too. You could get the ifi micro iCANse as well for an even better pairing with the hd800, the bass boost on both of these were practically made for the hd800's curve :)

Jan 9, 2019 at 8:11 PM Post #2,990 of 12,035
Yes, your impression is similar to mine on the ref 8. I am rocking red 8 as my daily cable for Solaris.

Comparing to super litz, sound stage is much larger, every instrument is separated better, micro details are better, the sound is more airy and brighter, and somehow the vocal seems even closer than it originally was. Also the sound appears “cleaner” even when the background hiss is easier to pick up...

All are great except for the bass... I find the bass a bit lacking even using the original super litz, and ref 8 further weakens its bass... so I guess I will keep searching for the best cables for Solaris...

Jan 9, 2019 at 8:59 PM Post #2,992 of 12,035
From my memory, Ref 8 have the low impedance, 0.8Ohm. Silver Litz is 1Ohm. Judging from your impression with Copper being lowest background hiss, it meant it have the highest impedance.

So my guess the difference in SS you’re hearing is more of output impedance matching with DAP rather than cable material itself. Ok, material related directly to impedance but you know what I meant.

On Andromeda, low IO bump up the low end while bump down the high end. High IO reverse it.
Highly noted... learning something new... Thank you for the point out...
Alrd google, but not found the IO of ALO Copper cable...

Yes, your impression is similar to mine on the ref 8. I am rocking red 8 as my daily cable for Solaris.

Comparing to super litz, sound stage is much larger, every instrument is separated better, micro details are better, the sound is more airy and brighter, and somehow the vocal seems even closer than it originally was. Also the sound appears “cleaner” even when the background hiss is easier to pick up...

All are great except for the bass... I find the bass a bit lacking even using the original super litz, and ref 8 further weakens its bass... so I guess I will keep searching for the best cables for Solaris...

after posting yesterday, I tried using Copper cable longer, but after 30 minutes using it, I felt fatigue (wanna puke), and stop it, the bass is too much for me.. previously, I consider myself basshead, but I guess my taste change...

Asking friend regarding cable that increase bass, he also recommended to test, because Andromeda OG can have solid bass using Silver cable...
And I tried my POLARIS again, the bass is better(in term of punch and rumble) with ref8 than stock cable (copper), quite the opposite experience with SOLARIS... this is my impression...
@ACGNerd1989 good luck for the search, dont forget to share if you already get what you want..

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2019 at 2:46 AM Post #2,995 of 12,035
How is the fit of Solaris vs Andromeda (original / S variant)? I demurred on purchasing the Solaris because it just looks so big compared to the Andros, and had read some comments that users have needed to keep readjusting them in ear. As I use my IEMs on the go, in a pretty active way, I wouldn't want them to keep losing seal. Nor would I want them to sitck out too much - there's not many videos or photos showing the fit, but they do seem to protrude somewhat.

Jan 10, 2019 at 2:54 AM Post #2,996 of 12,035
How is the fit of Solaris vs Andromeda (original / S variant)? I demurred on purchasing the Solaris because it just looks so big compared to the Andros, and had read some comments that users have needed to keep readjusting them in ear. As I use my IEMs on the go, in a pretty active way, I wouldn't want them to keep losing seal. Nor would I want them to sitck out too much - there's not many videos or photos showing the fit, but they do seem to protrude somewhat.
Well as The Smith said : "Some girls are bigger than others".

Jan 10, 2019 at 3:38 AM Post #2,998 of 12,035
New year... (2) New headphones lol.

Now I don't mind a little flashiness sometimes, but part of me wishes they made an alternate finish. The 24k can come off as a bit guady.

Anyways, so far i'm still getting to know which tips work best for me.. I've heard good tips on the Symbio N & W's by MandarinEs. Probably give those a try at some point.

Will add impressions later, but so far i'm absolutely loving it. I can't give any more praise with my RME-ADI2 DAC. I get dead zero hiss/distortion from the dedicated 'IEM' input.

Picked these up mainly for sound isolation, soundstage & imaging. Not only for musicality, but for gaming as well. I play a lot of FPS shooters and its a major advantage to know your surroundings with pin-point accuracy. Some games are better than others when it comes to the audio dept.. I don't want to go too off topic however, I would highly recommend playing Battlefield 5 or even Battlefield 1 with these... It's pure audio bliss: the clicking & bouncing of grenades, bullet penetration through different materials, the ricochets, vehicle explosions, etc. its just a pleasure to listen with these iems.

My first three hours of gaming were great, ears are sore from the tips but I think its more so from my ears being adjusted to IEMs again. Like i said, I'll be experimenting with different tips continuously and will report my findings.

Lastly, I do find the stock cable to be fairly short. I'm maxing out its reach just sitting at my desk when plugged into the RME. I have just enough reach just to turn my head 180 degrees which kind of sucks.
Looks like yet another purchase is gunna have to be made :deadhorse:

Jan 10, 2019 at 5:22 AM Post #2,999 of 12,035
one of Solaris concern is fitting, for me Solaris fit nicely in my ear... no different with Andro or Polaris...
but for you better demo the fitting first... is not for every one Size....
20190109_145640.jpg

Jan 10, 2019 at 5:33 AM Post #3,000 of 12,035
New year... (2) New headphones lol.

Now I don't mind a little flashiness sometimes, but part of me wishes they made an alternate finish. The 24k can come off as a bit guady.

Anyways, so far i'm still getting to know which tips work best for me.. I've heard good tips on the Symbio N & W's by MandarinEs. Probably give those a try at some point.

Will add impressions later, but so far i'm absolutely loving it. I can't give any more praise with my RME-ADI2 DAC. I get dead zero hiss/distortion from the dedicated 'IEM' input.

Picked these up mainly for sound isolation, soundstage & imaging. Not only for musicality, but for gaming as well. I play a lot of FPS shooters and its a major advantage to know your surroundings with pin-point accuracy. Some games are better than others when it comes to the audio dept.. I don't want to go too off topic however, I would highly recommend playing Battlefield 5 or even Battlefield 1 with these... It's pure audio bliss: the clicking & bouncing of grenades, bullet penetration through different materials, the ricochets, vehicle explosions, etc. its just a pleasure to listen with these iems.

My first three hours of gaming were great, ears are sore from the tips but I think its more so from my ears being adjusted to IEMs again. Like i said, I'll be experimenting with different tips continuously and will report my findings.

Lastly, I do find the stock cable to be fairly short. I'm maxing out its reach just sitting at my desk when plugged into the RME. I have just enough reach just to turn my head 180 degrees which kind of sucks.
Looks like yet another purchase is gunna have to be made :deadhorse:

Nice to see a fellow FPS gamer in this thread....
quite maniac if purchase this IEM for gaming....

I am a CS:Go and PUBG.

Just advice, use Headphone.... my DT990 drive died a month ago.... and very husle service etc... I let that Can in the dust....

FPS requirement, IMO, Open/semi open back (Sounstage), OI around 32 to 150 ohm ( to get that sub bass and sub Mid : to hear foot step), and detail (Wish there are big Balanced amateur driver).
And most importance is comfort... My gaming session is minimum 4 hours... that ear canal will be very irritated using IEM....

Again just suggestion

Users who are viewing this thread

Back