Campfire - Solaris
Oct 27, 2018 at 3:26 AM Post #166 of 12,035
Hi - it's always difficult to organise your thoughts on something in a few hours, so probably didn't explain that well. The Atlas is similar to the Cascade, with that awesome bass punch but no overhang to the mids. Some people oh the forums comment they struggle with the quantity of bass (just like with the Cascade), even though it's well integrated into the overall sound.

The Solaris takes this to the next level for me, so even though there is PLENTY of bass on tap, it feels like more of an all rounder in the tuning. There is a richer and more balanced feel to it - is certainly not a million miles away from the Atlas in terms of quality, but the overall sound is just more lifelike, for want of a better word. I think this will remind people that when they go to a live gig, there is always plenty of bass, and it really brings out the depth to the sound.

TL;DR - if you are a fan of the Cascade or the Atlas, I'd be surprised if you don't really like this IEM. If you're not, I'll still be pretty surprised If you don't like it.

A quick note on the fit from @twister6 's pics - it's a big IEM, but the over ear wear and memory wire in the cable make it a comfortable and stable fit for me when using foams - not tried tip rolling yet. Certainly not in the JH Audio category of ear invading hugeness!

Just as long as it's not like the Vega I think I'd like the Solaris. There isn't enough venting on the Vega for me. My right ear still hurts many months after having a Vega for a short period of time. I like hybrids, but am a bit worried about DD pushing too much air on my eardrums.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2018 at 3:38 AM Post #167 of 12,035
Solaris certainly looks to dress well for her Sony companion

upload_2018-10-27_8-36-32.png

Oct 27, 2018 at 4:05 AM Post #169 of 12,035
Still eagerly waiting for news on my order... you're fueling my impatience :p
Yes, I had a good listen and got in early before the crowds - so no rush or hustle and bustle. I tried one of the nicely done burned in units.

Foam and 4.4mm to the Sony dap.

I took some notes and will share later.

It bought a wee tear to my eye. Quite an emotional earphone.

(Time for a kids Halloween party).

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2018 at 5:33 AM Post #170 of 12,035
Solaris is basically CF giving LH lab a big middle finger. Solaris is basically a much more matured Stella, from what I've read.
I did try Stella, and as much as i liked it, after hearing what Larry Ho did, I would never support such a brand,

Well done CF audio, well done :) The Japan audiophile mates of mine are going crazy about Solaris.

Well, I’m glad you think the Solaris is better than the Stella. Got a brief listen (to the Stella) today and it seemed... incomplete? Was definitely overshadowed by some other IEMs available even at the same booth, namely the Flamenco, Samba, and 1650.

All these impressions are getting me hyped! Just have to keep repeating to myself “these aren’t the IEMs you’re looking for...” :joy:

Oct 27, 2018 at 6:06 AM Post #171 of 12,035
These need to go on tour. I have now put them on my short list, but it is currently 3rd because they look a lot bigger than I thought they would be and I've had fit problems with some universals. The shape does look a lot more comfortable than the IER-Z1R, but they both look heavy to me. I'm also not a fan of both having mmcx connectors, but I do have a lot more faith in CA customer service than Sony in the USA in case there is a problem with them down the road.

Oct 27, 2018 at 6:12 AM Post #172 of 12,035
Here are my notes for Solaris.

Good treble texture. Thick sound. Good subbass extension, midbass is controlled (not boomy at all). Fantastic control of decay abilities. Attack is very slightly blunted. Sweet upper midrange. Upper midrange is lifted along with the treble. Lower mids are slightly recessed. Vocals are slightly airy. Large soundstage and good spatial control. Imaging is quite precise in terms of layering despite the sound being more of in your face.

In short, really good. When I heard the Andro S next to it, can't help but feel that Andro S sounded limp and weak.

Subtonic Audio Cutting-edge artisanal in-ear monitors for discerning listeners. Proudly designed and manufactured in Singapore. Stay updated on Subtonic Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Subtonic.Audio https://www.instagram.com/subtonicaudio https://subtonic.audio support@subtonic.audio
Oct 27, 2018 at 6:16 AM Post #173 of 12,035
These need to go on tour. I have now put them on my short list, but it is currently 3rd because they look a lot bigger than I thought they would be and I've had fit problems with some universals. The shape does look a lot more comfortable than the IER-Z1R, but they both look heavy to me. I'm also not a fan of both having mmcx connectors, but I do have a lot more faith in CA customer service than Sony in the USA in case there is a problem with them down the road.

Seconded on that tour! It’s on my short list as well, along with the Z1R, N8 (knocked off the Trio and Fourte for me), Just ear CS (knocked off the LS and MS), and whatever triple hybrid Hyla comes up with next, if it comes out before I take the plunge.

Oct 27, 2018 at 6:26 AM Post #174 of 12,035
Once Solaris arrives I will compare it with my the best hybrid I've tried, the Fourte, and my current reference hybrid, N5005. I've always had a thing for hybrid IEM. The current impression is that Solaris is an emotional IEM, that sucks you right into the music.

Oct 27, 2018 at 7:07 AM Post #176 of 12,035
With so many high-end IEMs pinching design cues from one another I think Ken and ALO deserve special credit for being bold enough to forge their own path. Visually this new model looks magnificent.

Oct 27, 2018 at 8:12 AM Post #177 of 12,035
It would be really interesting to compare the Solaris with the Sony Z1Rs as these two will likely fall in the same price range where I live. Also hearing rumblings about Noble working on a hybrid IEM as well...Hybrid Wars?:ksc75smile:

Oct 27, 2018 at 8:40 AM Post #178 of 12,035
When and where will these in ears be available in Europe? :)

Oct 27, 2018 at 8:52 AM Post #179 of 12,035

Well the newsletter said

TALHbykECzCxTI3lRmCSuXDLvdHoY7

I placed an order early yesterday nonetheless though (before even receiving the NL) and was able to check out with an address in Europe, waiting on a status on my order to know if it has any chance to go through... :frowning2:

The newsletter is not fully clear on wether it means december availability from local distributors or if it means the online store can't ship to Europe till december (which frankly doesn't make sense if you allow a non US address during checkout...).

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2018 at 8:55 AM Post #180 of 12,035

No idea if/when they will be getting them, but the UK dealer is Hifiheadphones.co.uk so imagine they will know - may be worth shooting them an email or checking out their site?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back