Campfire - Solaris
Oct 26, 2018 at 11:12 PM Post #151 of 12,035
What's your guess on price? I'll go with no more than $1,699. KB has said he's not out to gouge buyers and if that's true then this is my educated guess. I think it could be less given this is the same amount that the z1r is selling for on accessory jack. My prediction is that it will be $1,499, but I'm leaving $200 of room for the maximum amount. If it's any higher then there's a lot of customs on my list that I'd put ahead as universals are not as comfortable as they used to be.

I hope that the Solaris is not as sensitive as the andros, is a little bit of a V or U shape, but the mids are not recessed and that the bass has slam and good decay, but no bleed. And it must vent well enough to have good sub bass without hurting eardrums. The Vega hurt my eardrum as it pushed too much air and didn't have a vent. I still think that I have a little permanent damage in my right ear because of it.

I got the price right! I forgot that today was launch day and only saw all of the posts today. This certainly might screw up my plans of going with a ciem this winter.

If it's similar to the Z1r sound, but with much better comfort and a better price, then these will fly off the site everytime it gets restocked. I'd like to know how they compare with the 64 audio trio and Sony IER-Z1R for totl universals. I'm sure that all 3 are great, but price goes to the Solaris and comfort should be between the Solaris and trio.

If this has good sub bass with venting better than the Vega which hurts my ears as it pushes too much air and venting didn't seem to be good enough on the Vegas plus some of the Andromeda magic sound but not too sensitive as the Andro as hiss can be bad depending on amping and source, then I'll likely buy these.

There should be enough time for a decent amount of reviews to get out before black friday when I hope to see discounts on manufacturer sites and make my purchase. 10 to 20% would be nice.

Oct 26, 2018 at 11:19 PM Post #153 of 12,035
Use a forwarder if you need a Japan address. I use a forwarder for a lot of Japanese items that don't ship to the USA.

Haha I live in Korea at the moment, so I can take a trip over there :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I’m planning on spending some time there in December, so maybe I’ll be pleasantly surprised when I visit

Oct 27, 2018 at 12:19 AM Post #156 of 12,035
5CC87772-7203-4E54-B791-32C3F1D68415.jpeg 38ADB4E6-7258-4E3C-8C16-D2B1C43C7109.jpeg 0D2B6088-1927-4C82-9D42-9160EB023EEB.jpeg

Blown away by these at the Tokyo Show today.

Really something special.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2018 at 12:51 AM Post #157 of 12,035
Blown away by these at the Tokyo Show today.
Really something special.

Still eagerly waiting for news on my order... you're fueling my impatience :p

Oct 27, 2018 at 1:13 AM Post #158 of 12,035
I usually don't do unboxing, but these pictures do tell a story :) Here is a first look at Campfire Audio Solaris "in pictures."

cfa_solaris-32.jpg

Oct 27, 2018 at 1:29 AM Post #159 of 12,035
I usually don't do unboxing, but these pictures do tell a story :) Here is a first look at Campfire Audio Solaris "in pictures."

Btw, a family picture:

cfa_solaris-36.jpg cfa_solaris-37.jpg

and the fit:

cfa_solaris-38.jpg

Oct 27, 2018 at 2:17 AM Post #164 of 12,035
Solaris is basically CF giving LH lab a big middle finger. Solaris is basically a much more matured Stella, from what I've read.
I did try Stella, and as much as i liked it, after hearing what Larry Ho did, I would never support such a brand,

Well done CF audio, well done :) The Japan audiophile mates of mine are going crazy about Solaris.

Oct 27, 2018 at 3:11 AM Post #165 of 12,035
Ken I’m sure you read jackpot77’s review and he mentioned the Solaris being not as polarizing as the Atlas.
Do you have an idea of what he means by that? I have not heard the atlas but I heard they are similar sound signature to the Cascades.

The cascades have that bass punch which is amazing and impactful without being bloated and doesn’t bleed into the mids.

Jackpot can you elaborate on what you meant if you see this

Hi - it's always difficult to organise your thoughts on something in a few hours, so probably didn't explain that well. The Atlas is similar to the Cascade, with that awesome bass punch but no overhang to the mids. Some people oh the forums comment they struggle with the quantity of bass (just like with the Cascade), even though it's well integrated into the overall sound.

The Solaris takes this to the next level for me, so even though there is PLENTY of bass on tap, it feels like more of an all rounder in the tuning. There is a richer and more balanced feel to it - is certainly not a million miles away from the Atlas in terms of quality, but the overall sound is just more lifelike, for want of a better word. I think this will remind people that when they go to a live gig, there is always plenty of bass, and it really brings out the depth to the sound.

TL;DR - if you are a fan of the Cascade or the Atlas, I'd be surprised if you don't really like this IEM. If you're not, I'll still be pretty surprised If you don't like it.

A quick note on the fit from @twister6 's pics - it's a big IEM, but the over ear wear and memory wire in the cable make it a comfortable and stable fit for me when using foams - not tried tip rolling yet. Certainly not in the JH Audio category of ear invading hugeness!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back