Campfire Dorado 2020
May 26, 2021 at 7:05 PM Post #946 of 1,452
Thanks. I’ll check that out. (It’s not that I can’t afford to spend the money. It’s that I don’t *want* to spend that sort of coin. This hobby is damned expensive!)
Perfectly understandable & relatable. No one "needs" to spend the amount of money we do on audio gear. Although I don't necessarily need to use Affirm, if it weren't for the interest-free option, I'd probably be spending a lot less. I know it's still the same amount of money, but psychologically it makes the blows softer. :head_bandage:

May 26, 2021 at 9:22 PM Post #947 of 1,452
I had a DX160 , and honestly I couldn't stand it. Sounded very unnatural to me. YMMV
A lot of times sources can have a great impact on an IEM. I think many underestimate this, I did too, I have an M15 and after getting the M8 I realized that my IEMs had more to give. Sometimes it's not about mere specs there's more to it I think.

I think the DX160 establishes a good baseline because so many reviewers use it (Banbeu, Crin, Rikudou, and myself for example) or have heard it (Max Settings, Resolve, Antdroid, Twister6, etc). After all, consistency is key. More subjectively, I would say it’s also good from a reviewing standpoint because it presents a largely un-colored sound (to my ears) which better isolates an IEM’s sonic performance. While I’ll be the first to admit that I don’t enjoy it either for pleasure listening either, I think it’s an apt reviewing source for the above reasons. You can still check my signature to see some of the sources I normally run IEMs through. I have access to more than a couple flagship DAPs!

Personally, I haven't found a particular IEM that connected with a particular source in a meaningful way. It's normally more along the lines of "I like this source" or "ew, I don't like this source" and "I like this IEM" or "I don't like this IEM". So while there are definitely some pairings that I prefer, there aren't any make it or break it instances that come to mind. This is just what I've experienced. It's totally possible that I just can't hear the differences enough for them to matter to me.

May 27, 2021 at 3:36 AM Post #949 of 1,452
Have your Dorados arrived yet? I’m oddly eager to hear your impressions. You’ve been waiting for so long I’m hoping you’ve got them by now!
Yeah they arrived yesterday but not had chance to listen properly yet haha. Initial impression is they have the same signiture as Polaris 2 but touch more details and less muddy. Need to try different tip's and burn in. Then when cable arrive can test and compare them.

May 28, 2021 at 8:21 AM Post #950 of 1,452
Crin's reply.
"iBasso DX160, Motu M2, Topping A90, Apple/Samsung dongle"

May 28, 2021 at 8:49 AM Post #951 of 1,452
Crin's reply.
"iBasso DX160, Motu M2, Topping A90, Apple/Samsung dongle"
Nothing that'll make a top iem sing well here, but i do agree with previous post, you can get an idea, but a top reviewer should invest in better imho

May 28, 2021 at 10:21 AM Post #952 of 1,452
I tried a PW Audio Loki+ on my Dorado 2020 because another member here did so. Mine is the 8 wire version. After 28 hours of break in, it was too treble emphasized for me. Switched to a 4 wire PW Audio #5 Anniversary all copper cable and it is bliss with nice soundstage. I am very happy with this combo. MMCX and 2.5 balanced. I will try them on my M8 this weekend.The Loki+ is 70% Silver and 30% Copper. The #5 is all copper. Dorado2020 is a one DD and one BA IEM. I usually use a all copper cable with most of my DD only IEMs. If I roll the cable a bit more, I will post here. The PW Audio #5 four wire is available from MusicTeck for around $180.00.

Last edited:
May 28, 2021 at 10:46 AM Post #953 of 1,452
I tried a PW Audio Loki+ on my Dorado 2020 because another member here did so. Mine is the 8 wire version. After 28 hours of break in, it was too treble emphasized for me. Switched to a 4 wire PW Audio #5 Anniversary all copper cable and it is bliss with nice soundstage. I am very happy with this combo. MMCX and 2.5 balanced. I will try them on my M8 this weekend.The Loki+ is 70% Silver and 30% Copper. The #5 is all copper. Dorado2020 is a one DD and one BA IEM. I usually use a all copper cable with most of my DD only IEMs. If I roll the cable a bit more, I will post here. The PW Audio #5 four wire is available from MusicTeck for around $180.00.

Glad to hear you're enjoying the Dorado!

May 28, 2021 at 10:48 AM Post #954 of 1,452
Interesting. The Eletech Justice was meant to be made for Dorado and Vega but is copper and silver mix.

May 28, 2021 at 10:55 AM Post #955 of 1,452
Interesting. The Eletech Justice was meant to be made for Dorado and Vega but is copper and silver mix.
Maybe the Justice has a little silver and more copper. Maybe try an SPC, easy on the silver.
I was just looking on Oriolus website and noticed that they include PW Audio #5 cables with all their less expensive IEMs.

Last edited:
May 28, 2021 at 5:43 PM Post #956 of 1,452
Switched out the #5 PW for the PW #10 Anniversary cable. and am going to run that combo for 24 hours to see if that combo is better. Initially it was clearer than #5. Super crystal clear,
This is also a 4 wire $180 cable.

May 29, 2021 at 12:12 AM Post #957 of 1,452
For me, iems and earlier 2 channel is about a love of music but also the "gear head" side of me that loves tweaking the sound, trying new things, just enjoying the technology.. but the more I listen to the Dorado I just keep liking them more and more. I'm using these at work in a cabinet/millwork shop and so I'm busy doing stuff and they fit that function wonderfully. Great bass foundation with plenty of detail and sparkle (now that I've got the Qudelix sorted) and the forward nature just puts the music in a realm of direct perception, for lack of a better description. It's just music there and no extraneous "parts" in the sense that it's not trying to do a certain soundstage or trying to be an imaging king or trying to do anything in particular. Not that you can't do that with them while sitting and just listening but at work it's like that blissful fun of having the song come on the radio that you've been waiting to hear and you just listen to the song... not the presentation of the song..
So pleased I bought these.

May 29, 2021 at 9:13 AM Post #958 of 1,452
For me, iems and earlier 2 channel is about a love of music but also the "gear head" side of me that loves tweaking the sound, trying new things, just enjoying the technology.. but the more I listen to the Dorado I just keep liking them more and more. I'm using these at work in a cabinet/millwork shop and so I'm busy doing stuff and they fit that function wonderfully. Great bass foundation with plenty of detail and sparkle (now that I've got the Qudelix sorted) and the forward nature just puts the music in a realm of direct perception, for lack of a better description. It's just music there and no extraneous "parts" in the sense that it's not trying to do a certain soundstage or trying to be an imaging king or trying to do anything in particular. Not that you can't do that with them while sitting and just listening but at work it's like that blissful fun of having the song come on the radio that you've been waiting to hear and you just listen to the song... not the presentation of the song..
So pleased I bought these.

Glad you're enjoying them! The Dorado is Ken Ball & Campfire's (so far) most accomplished IEM in my opinion-- the one that most exemplifies the Campfire sound and ethos. It's so deceptively simple & transparently fun...like a 3 year old with a water gun, but also solidly technical and irresistibly engaging. It's one of those IEMs whose sound you just dive into and appreciate more and more as time goes on.

May 29, 2021 at 9:37 AM Post #959 of 1,452
Could not wait 24 hours. Richard Elliott rocking out on the sax. Dorado/#10 PW rocking out as I hoped. Cable rollin over. Dorado 2020 has plenty of power on break in system with Drop 789 amp. Power seems to be what makes it sing. Remember Ken Ball saying that the A&K Kahn really made his IEMs sing. POWER

Last edited:
May 29, 2021 at 9:50 AM Post #960 of 1,452
That's what they're about! Not gonna lie I've been waiting for your impressions.

In other news I'll have an IER Z1R in my hands in a matter of hours...perhaps a proper shootout between Elysium, Z1R, Dorado and Nio is in order.

Also, here is the Shanling M3X (which I may wind up selling, but we'll see).

44E8B9F4-F4A9-40B8-A853-5251265C4550.JPEG
Did you end up selling the M3X? How did it sound with Dorado?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back