Campfire Chat - Official Campfire Audio 2024 Thread!
Jan 26, 2024 at 4:57 PM Post #376 of 1,254
Jan 26, 2024 at 4:59 PM Post #377 of 1,254
Nice! Congratulations, Bonneville are an absolute knock out 👍🏻👍🏻😉

Thanks! Indeed they are! Just pure sonic bliss enjoyment factor :)

Jan 26, 2024 at 10:07 PM Post #378 of 1,254
Since this is a forum that values different perspectives, I'm going to take a very contrarian take on the packaging of the chromatic series, and in particular the Bonneville. I bought this set as a Christmas present to myself, and I've spent at least 2 hours a day this past month listening to and enjoying them.

While I absolutely prefer companies put an overwhelming majority of their cost into the actual product rather than packaging contents and materials, I will say that I personally was less than thrilled with the unboxing experience at $1400. I honestly, and again this just me, attributed those silly phrases printed on the $0.1 cent box like "Essential", "Sensational Sound", and "Strictly Epic Vibes" as light trolling on CA's part. Needless to say, quite underwhelmed with the included tips and accessories as well.

While the product is what truly matters, and boys let me tell you this set is no snake oil — they are remarkable, I couldn't just let all these "I love the minimal packaging!" and "This incredibly cheap pouch they provided is soooo cool!" slide without giving my $0.2 cents (a penny more than the packaging was worth :) )
I value this opinion! I tend to always have my own tips on hand and leave included ones untouched. Same with accessories. Although I have always enjoyed Campfires IEM cases. The cork one were pretty rad. However, there are many people out there that have not built up a collection of tips and accessories as I have so I get it.

A repeated opinion I’ve heard from a lot of users on here is that the Chromatic series IEMs themselves are a great value at their price points. I tend to agree with this, and like to think that Campfire wanted cheaper packaging in order to charge the prices they are for these sets. What I like so much about this packaging is that even though it’s cheaper, they worked to make it fun.

I’m not arguing on your opinion, I totally understand your point. But… I like that they worked to at least make the packaging uniquely Campfire, even in a more minimalistic way. :)

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2024 at 10:22 PM Post #379 of 1,254
Since this is a forum that values different perspectives, I'm going to take a very contrarian take on the packaging of the chromatic series, and in particular the Bonneville. I bought this set as a Christmas present to myself, and I've spent at least 2 hours a day this past month listening to and enjoying them.

While I absolutely prefer companies put an overwhelming majority of their cost into the actual product rather than packaging contents and materials, I will say that I personally was less than thrilled with the unboxing experience at $1400. I honestly, and again this just me, attributed those silly phrases printed on the $0.1 cent box like "Essential", "Sensational Sound", and "Strictly Epic Vibes" as light trolling on CA's part. Needless to say, quite underwhelmed with the included tips and accessories as well.

While the product is what truly matters, and boys let me tell you this set is no snake oil — they are remarkable, I couldn't just let all these "I love the minimal packaging!" and "This incredibly cheap pouch they provided is soooo cool!" slide without giving my $0.2 cents (a penny more than the packaging was worth :) )
I don't agree at all. I've bought two CFA, most recent being Black Star, which for $999 had an excellent selection of tips, a great cable, and a black leather wallet to hold it all, plus the little mesh bags. This inside of a very cool, but minimalist box. All CFA are like this to one degree or another as it's part of their style.

I have had far more significant packages, for a lot more $, where the IEM couldn't hold a candle to either BS or Bonneville.

So, my point is, you know what you're in for on CFA, they have been pretty consistent. And when you compare prices, CFA remains super competitive.

Jan 26, 2024 at 11:34 PM Post #380 of 1,254
FedEx, worst shipping service ever. Didn't even attempted to deliver my Bonneville. Campfire please switch to DHL where I can actually waive the signature release option. Fedex won't let me do that option which is the worst thing when you're actually at work on the time they deliver, or NEVER EVER put a stupid signature required. Now my package might be even sent back to you guys since FedEx will just keep delivering to my house when the time nobody's home

Jan 27, 2024 at 12:30 AM Post #381 of 1,254
Jan 27, 2024 at 1:05 AM Post #382 of 1,254
Thanks! I’m now ready to embrace the new era but will definitely revisit the good ole Andromeda. It’s canning ability to sound so captivating and cohesive is a timeless classic indeed like those from Vinyl!

Jan 27, 2024 at 1:34 AM Post #383 of 1,254
Thanks! I’m now ready to embrace the new era but will definitely revisit the good ole Andromeda. It’s canning ability to sound so captivating and cohesive is a timeless classic indeed like those from Vinyl!
We all pushed Bonneville on you, but did you try the Black Star?

Jan 27, 2024 at 1:39 AM Post #384 of 1,254

Didn’t get a chance to try it unfortunately, but I had a bad fit with Solaris 2020 back then where they were not as secured as Andomeda and Chromatic series IEMs. It subconsciously put me off to trying it unfortunately

Jan 27, 2024 at 1:55 AM Post #385 of 1,254
FedEx, worst shipping service ever. Didn't even attempted to deliver my Bonneville. Campfire please switch to DHL where I can actually waive the signature release option. Fedex won't let me do that option which is the worst thing when you're actually at work on the time they deliver, or NEVER EVER put a stupid signature required. Now my package might be even sent back to you guys since FedEx will just keep delivering to my house when the time nobody's home
I usually redirect packages to a nearby FedEx Office. I think you can just ship to that address and they’ll hold it for you. I guess in some areas they might be ok, but they are awful around me too. Leave packages in the neighbor’s bushes kind of awful.

Jan 27, 2024 at 5:49 AM Post #386 of 1,254

A very good question, since there not that much thoughts about the Black Star floating around here and in the net perhaps you need to jump in and tell us more about him :wink:

BTW, was asking an online distributor about demo'ing the Black Star and his answer "in case of purchase intention no problem, when returning without buying or another relating item they will charge 35 bucks" imho a pretty fair offer while unsure about my intention actual.

Jan 27, 2024 at 4:49 PM Post #387 of 1,254
1706392276109.png

Bonneville, just wow! Not just nicely done, ridiculously well done!

Jan 27, 2024 at 4:52 PM Post #388 of 1,254
Usually my luck

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231204_154807_YouTube.jpg
    Screenshot_20231204_154807_YouTube.jpg
    366.9 KB · Views: 0
Jan 27, 2024 at 4:55 PM Post #389 of 1,254
Usually my luck

Yep! They just let it sit at their shipping center for 1 whole day yesterday SMH. I had to pick it up from their center personally ugh

Jan 27, 2024 at 6:11 PM Post #390 of 1,254
Cross posting from the Watercooler in case it's helpful.

I had a few days to do some direct a/b of both my own Black Star and the tour Bonneville but still have yet to get it all written and posted.
20240125_151806.jpg

I think I'll ultimately come down on saying they are more similar than not. They have the same drivers in different shells with no good explanation for the price difference except to say Black Star buyers are getting a real deal, as if the Bonneville buyers weren't already enjoying the best buy around.

Both have generous bass and the same bottom - up tuning approach. To my ears, Bonneville has slightly more bass, most in the mid bass. The difference is not huge but noticeable in the mids and treble which get a bit less color from the bass, making BS a little more "open" sounding with vocals jumping out a bit more. I also found the Bonneville stage to be wider and more linear while the BS to have more height and depth. Still, these are surely brothers from the same mother and superior for their pricing.

If there was a feeling that CFA botched the early 2023 releases, they have certainly outdone themselves with the way they closed out the year on the budget side. BS was the last iem I bought in 2023, and it's providing as much joy as any other I have ever bought, so CFA fanboy, I have become.

Edit: I'm going to posit that BS is less $ because it was less r&d cost. I think they took Bonneville drivers and put them in an existing shell.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back