Campfire Audio Vega (and Dorado and Lyra II) - Head-Fi TV
Mar 22, 2017 at 10:03 PM Post #3,271 of 5,394
  I bought the Fidue A83 Balanced based on good feedback in this thread. Thanks !!
Does anyone know how long it takes the cable to arrive HK -> US East coast ?

Good choice! 
beerchug.gif
Mine took about a month to arrive but that's because it was shipped to a U.S. base overseas. So, it had to be mailed to the states, sorted and mailed back overseas haha. I'd I guess you have to wait a couple weeks-ish?

Mar 22, 2017 at 10:15 PM Post #3,272 of 5,394
I am very close to buying the Lyra II off massdrop.

How comfortable is the cable from campfire audio.  I know it well made cable but is it heavy?  Is it light and flexible?  can it be worn with glasses?

TIA

The litz cable is very nice. Lightweight, flexible,not prone to tangling, very low microphonics. Almost certainly worth the $150 standalone asking price.

As far as glasses, I can't answer that one, but the cable does have memory wire if that gets in the way when wearing glasses.

I don't own any aftermarket cables (except the alo ref 8 that should be arriving tomorrow) but it's much nicer than the cables that came included with my other iems, and since I know you have the lz a4, it's much nicer than the a4's included cable. The only "issue" I think will just be whether you like or dislike memory wire. Personally I used to dislike it, but it doesn't bother me much on this cable.

Mar 22, 2017 at 10:16 PM Post #3,273 of 5,394
  Good choice! 
beerchug.gif
Mine took about a month to arrive but that's because it was shipped to a U.S. base overseas. So, it had to be mailed to the states, sorted and mailed back overseas haha. I'd I guess you have to wait a couple weeks-ish?

Great ! I am already a week and half into the wait, so hopefully soon.
Can't wait to try the Vega on the balanced outs of my DAPs. More importantly on my desktop amps !!

Mar 22, 2017 at 10:20 PM Post #3,274 of 5,394
The litz cable is very nice. Lightweight, flexible,not prone to tangling, very low microphonics. Almost certainly worth the $150 standalone asking price.

As far as glasses, I can't answer that one, but the cable does have memory wire if that gets in the way when wearing glasses.

I don't own any aftermarket cables (except the alo ref 8 that should be arriving tomorrow) but it's much nicer than the cables that came included with my other iems, and since I know you have the lz a4, it's much nicer than the a4's included cable. The only "issue" I think will just be whether you like or dislike memory wire. Personally I used to dislike it, but it doesn't bother me much on this cable.

Agree with everything @mashuto already said about the cable.
Just wanted to add my experience as someone wearing glasses, the memory wire (or the cable in general) doesn't bother me. I've to confess that I actually prefer memory wires in IEM cable (so YMMV, depending on your preference).

Mar 22, 2017 at 10:24 PM Post #3,275 of 5,394
The Fiio X5 III + Vega is blowing my mind.
Caveat: The X5s are new, I will post after the honeymoon period is over.
try the Onkyo Player App.

Mar 22, 2017 at 10:59 PM Post #3,277 of 5,394

Thank you this is very helpful.
I'm generally not fond of memory wire since it does not seem to lay correctly and feels like the IEM is being pulled out my ear. Probably I just need to flex and bend it to be more form fitting so to speak.
Also the memory wire does often not feel right with glasses for me.

I guess I could always use the A4 cable. Lol

Mar 23, 2017 at 9:50 AM Post #3,278 of 5,394
I too wear glasses (Silhouette rimless) which has a very thin temple (earpiece). I find the memory wire on the Litz or Ref 8 with my Vega to be comfortable.

Mar 23, 2017 at 1:30 PM Post #3,279 of 5,394
  So I've been having been having issues with the seal on the Vega. No, this is not a Vega issue. I usually prefer the short wide bore silicone UE900 tips with most of my IEMs. However, these tips cause a weird seal that kinda backs my ears up with pressure. I feel like my eustachian tubes can't drain properly and my ears feel blocked even after I remove the earphone from my ear. I'm assuming it has something to do with the shape of the tips and insertion angle, not allowing enough air to escape when inserting the earphone. I experienced the same same thing with the FLC 8S. There's just something about the nozzle design and the UE tips that just doesn't jive. 

After some extensive tip rolling, I reluctantly tried the included foam tips for the first time. I never really had luck with foams in the past. Either they felt weird in the ear or altered the sound too much so I usually don't even bother with them. To my surprise, the stock foams didn't really degrade the sound but did tame the treble a bit and bump up the isolation. They're also pretty comfy! I feel like a knucklehead because I know KB tuned these with the foams in mind and specifically said to try them with foams haha.

Anyhow, I'm pretty content with the stock foams but I am curious if there are better foam tips out there I should be trying out. If so, what changes can expect over the stock foam? Thanks!

Same thing happened with me - hate foamies as a rule (I've literally never used them with any other IEM in the past), but after some initial experimentation came to find them ideal w/ the Vegas.  FWIW I typically use medium eartips but I use the large foamies with a fairly shallow insertion for maximum seal and fidelity.

Also +1 to this question, I would love to hear is there are better foam options.

Mar 23, 2017 at 2:41 PM Post #3,280 of 5,394
Hey guys as far as tips go.. I heard the bore size makes a difference in bass and treble.

Do the small bores create more bass or less bass? Same question for treble .. anyone know?

Mar 23, 2017 at 2:45 PM Post #3,281 of 5,394
Larger the bore the greater the treble, and vice versa.

I should also add - I know everybody recommended the foam tips for this. This is my first iem where i felt that foam was virtually required to listen.
They actually sound better than my th-x00 over-ears...crazy.

I should have added this: (super helpful guide on tips)

http://theheadphonelist.com/earphone-fit-guide/

In my opinion, the tip selection is every bit is important as your source and since it's a hell of a lot cheaper to fix, might as well invest.

Mar 23, 2017 at 7:23 PM Post #3,283 of 5,394
Got my ref 8 cable in today... I definitely like the 8 braid better than 4... but its stiffer and seems to have quite a bit more microphonics which is a disappointing especially since the litz cable had pretty much none. I will have to do some serious listening to see if I can notice any real changes in sound, but im not expecting to hear much.

Mar 23, 2017 at 8:49 PM Post #3,284 of 5,394
guys quick question:
of the andromedas or the vegas, which has the widest soundstage and best separation of instruments, please?
(I have the FLC 8S and i find the sound stage a bit compressed.)

Mar 23, 2017 at 9:05 PM Post #3,285 of 5,394
  guys quick question:
of the andromedas or the vegas, which has the widest soundstage and best separation of instruments, please?
(I have the FLC 8S and i find the sound stage a bit compressed.)

When I heard the andromedas next to the vegas, I somewhat gravitated at the vegas. The andromedas definitely have a massive sound stage. The vegas are no slouch either. I believe the andromedas have a wider sound stage from what I remember and I just preferred the vegas in general despite the sound stage being wider.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back