Campfire Audio Vega (and Dorado and Lyra II) - Head-Fi TV
Mar 21, 2017 at 3:13 AM Post #3,241 of 5,394

It's like this. I hardly listen to classical music with headphones or speakers... I like classical music, but that's it. I listen to EDM more often. However, when it comes to live performances, classical music is something else. If the venue is good as well (think Wien Staatsoper) the music touches your soul and time flies by. My most expensive headphones were Noble K10s and they did sound damn great but no, nowhere close to a live performance of classical music. 

As far as I know, some audiophiles claim that their hundreds of thousands USD worth sound systems sound good as live performances but I have not had a chance to hear such good systems, yet.

That's what got me interested in the Vega. How Jude describes it in the Head-Fi TV episode is like it is able to get closer to giving you the feeling of a live performance. There are of course obvious physical restrictions with IEMs, but it seems like technology is evolving in a direction I really like the sound of (pardon the pun).

Mar 21, 2017 at 8:34 AM Post #3,242 of 5,394
These are the ones I've kept
In particular I was fond of the memory foam with rubber sleeve. The others on the right have a gel insert and they are firmer.

Hah you actually reminded me that I ordered a sample pack of these and didn't remember getting them. Checked my order and sure enough they were delivered. Good thing I hadn't thrown the box out yet.

Guess I'll be trying these out today.

Mar 21, 2017 at 10:20 AM Post #3,244 of 5,394
  These are the ones I've kept
In particular I was fond of the memory foam with rubber sleeve. The others on the right have a gel insert and they are firmer.

Those definitely look interesting. I wonder how they affect the sound.

Mar 21, 2017 at 12:08 PM Post #3,246 of 5,394
Hmm, looks like the monster tips are a bust for me. The gel filled tips are... strange. They dont quite insert or seal the way I am used to. And the size that looks like it could be the best for me (medium, black) doesnt work because the sides look like they are sucked in, almost like they didnt fill it with enough gel, but the sides got stuck and pulled in. Cant get it to seal. Annoyingly too, the silver tips almost feel like they are coated with oil or something. They are slick to the touch and definitely feel like they are leaving some kind of residue on my fingers. The foam tips... well, they are foam tips, which I was already not a fan of, and these havent changed my mind.

Been going through my bag of tips... currently settled on medium single flange tips from Mee audio, which I apparently neglected to ever actually try out before (had them for a while). They are very similar in size and shape to the medium silicon tips included with the vega, but with maybe a slightly narrower bore and slightly longer stem, which seems to be the big difference for me in getting a good fit vs the included medium silicon tip. These get me a nice flush fit for the vegas, without inserting quite as deep as the spinfits, so hopefully not as much itching. Sound seems to be right where I want it too with that little extra bass impact that seemed to be missing from some of my other choices (spiral dots and spinfits). No pressure issues either. Think Ill keep these on for the rest of the day and see how I feel after some longer listening.

Might also order a set of rha dual density tips too... I might need a bigger tip bag...

Mar 21, 2017 at 8:54 PM Post #3,247 of 5,394
Anyone with Lyra 2- do the vocals seem to be more toward the front of your head?

Also do you feel the highs are lacking or too recessed?
The Lyra II sound really nice since I tend to have treble sensitivity and don't like anything too harsh or bright.
From what I read the bass is good but not basshead, is that correct?
TIA

Mar 21, 2017 at 10:05 PM Post #3,248 of 5,394
Just joined the Vega club.. they shipped today!

Anything I should know about them as a future owner? Took a chance and ordered without hearing them as they absolutely seem to be right up my alley from the reviews and impressions. Also ordered the Sony signature gold DAP to pair!

Mar 22, 2017 at 1:38 AM Post #3,249 of 5,394
Just joined the Vega club.. they shipped today!

Anything I should know about them as a future owner? Took a chance and ordered without hearing them as they absolutely seem to be right up my alley from the reviews and impressions. Also ordered the Sony signature gold DAP to pair!

Welcome! Prepare for the tip rolling journey. That's all I've got for advice 
tongue_smile.gif
 They're pretty awesome!

Mar 22, 2017 at 1:41 AM Post #3,250 of 5,394
Welcome! Prepare for the tip rolling journey. That's all I've got for advice :tongue_smile:  They're pretty awesome!
Isnt the goal when one buys something is to be satisfied ? Tip rolling means something is no right. Or one has hours to waste.

Mar 22, 2017 at 1:52 AM Post #3,251 of 5,394
Isnt the goal when one buys something is to be satisfied ? Tip rolling means something is no right. Or one has hours to waste.

In this case, I think its a little bit of both. I was having some weird pressure build up in my ears and it did not subside until I found the right tips. Apparently, others have had similar issues. That being said, tip rolling could also be a cheap way to tweak the sound to your liking. I doubt the Vega's sound is going to be a perfect match for everyone who buys it. If possible, I'd choose to "fix" the sound, fit, or isolation with new tips rather than return them. 

Mar 22, 2017 at 1:54 AM Post #3,252 of 5,394
I tip roll to get a decent seal.
Not all tips work for me.
It took a long time and cash until I found tips I was happy with.

Plus I need a large in the left, and a medium in the right. Which often means buy two packs... or more as some nozzles need different size for a good fit.

Stock tips aren't always the right fit, shape ir quality.

Which can change season to season as the ear canals can constrict and expand due to the cold and the heat- like the rings on my fingers are tight in the summer, loose in the winter months.

Mar 22, 2017 at 1:56 AM Post #3,253 of 5,394
For the pressure I think the usually guide is to
Pull up the upper part of the ear, and draw it slightly back.
Then insert the earphones.

This usually helps to get a good fit and also let the excess air out preventing initial pressure build up

Mar 22, 2017 at 2:27 AM Post #3,254 of 5,394
For the pressure I think the usually guide is to
Pull up the upper part of the ear, and draw it slightly back.
Then insert the earphones.

This usually helps to get a good fit and also let the excess air out preventing initial pressure build up

That's the technique I've always used. It usually remedies any pressure issues. However, the Vega and the 8S just refused to comply until I changed the tips haha.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back