Campfire Audio Vega (and Dorado and Lyra II) - Head-Fi TV
Mar 9, 2017 at 12:16 AM Post #3,077 of 5,394
  What do you guys think are the best pair of Campfire Audio IEMs for their price?

I've only tried the Jupiter, Andromeda, and Vega. All fairly pricey but the more I listen to the Vega, the more I like it and to think the sound is coming from a single dynamic driver really impresses me. My guess is that the Vega is the current king of the dynamics so I'd have to give it to the Vega even at $1300. However, the Andromeda performs very well against more expensive BA IEMs so you could easily make the case for them as well. I wasn't overly impressed with the Jupiter. I've come across a few IEMs at equal lesser value the edge them out IMO. My experience mostly leads me to believe CA IEMs are fairly priced for the most part. Picking the one closest to your budget and sound preference is probably going to be a good value no matter how you slice it. They also sell b-stock that is marked down considerably. At $850, the Andromeda is pretty much a steal IMO.

Mar 9, 2017 at 12:56 AM Post #3,078 of 5,394
  I've only tried the Jupiter, Andromeda, and Vega. All fairly pricey but the more I listen to the Vega, the more I like it and to think the sound is coming from a single dynamic driver really impresses me. My guess is that the Vega is the current king of the dynamics so I'd have to give it to the Vega even at $1300. However, the Andromeda performs very well against more expensive BA IEMs so you could easily make the case for them as well. I wasn't overly impressed with the Jupiter. I've come across a few IEMs at equal lesser value the edge them out IMO. My experience mostly leads me to believe CA IEMs are fairly priced for the most part. Picking the one closest to your budget and sound preference is probably going to be a good value no matter how you slice it. They also sell b-stock that is marked down considerably. At $850, the Andromeda is pretty much a steal IMO.

Where can you buy the b-stock from?

Mar 9, 2017 at 1:34 AM Post #3,081 of 5,394

Where can you buy the b-stock from?

Sorry for the delay but it seems you've found it. I ordered a set of b-stock Andromeda and I almost couldn't find the defect. It's the best way to go if they have what you want in stock.

Are there any other IEM companies that sell B-stock like this?

None that I follow, anyway. Noble does a pretty decent sale in July and November if you like their stuff.

Mar 10, 2017 at 12:13 AM Post #3,083 of 5,394
I've had and loved the sound of the IE800. Sold them due to poor fit for my ears. Has anyone compared them to the Vega? I specially loved the trebles in the IE800 and it would be great if they are as clear in the Vega...and before anyone asks, no, I can't test them as no one sells them locally
frown.gif

Thank you!

Mar 10, 2017 at 3:34 AM Post #3,084 of 5,394
I've had and loved the sound of the IE800. Sold them due to poor fit for my ears. Has anyone compared them to the Vega? I specially loved the trebles in the IE800 and it would be great if they are as clear in the Vega...and before anyone asks, no, I can't test them as no one sells them locally:frowning2:
Thank you!

For treble clarity and a spacious soundstage and air you might want to check out the Andromeda instead.

Mar 10, 2017 at 3:53 AM Post #3,085 of 5,394
  I've had and loved the sound of the IE800. Sold them due to poor fit for my ears. Has anyone compared them to the Vega? I specially loved the trebles in the IE800 and it would be great if they are as clear in the Vega...and before anyone asks, no, I can't test them as no one sells them locally
frown.gif

Thank you!

I have owned the IE800 for a year and a half, I sold them thus I didn't A/B side by side.

That's from memory of the IE800 but you shouldn't be disappointed going for the Vega treble are clear and detailed with sparkle but smoother than the IE800 with better weight. The bass is IMHO even better than the IE800 more detailed, textured although I would give the IE800 sub bass the edge it extends further down low. I'd say the IE800 has fuller lower mids but the Vega has a thicker sound overall, there is more body to everything while retaining great separation and clarity. The upper mids that were the reason I sold the IE800 the Vega don't suffer from that ugly peak. I love vocals on the Vega better.

The only scenario were I loved the IE800 better was for classical and Jazz. For Jazz I'd have to nuance that a bit as the Vega has the edge on timbre IMHO. Also, separation is lesser than IE800 but layering is just better on the Vega : less separation but more coherency and layers and layers of nuances.

Things they do share is their very dynamic character, very involving and not relaxed. I'd say the Vega are less tiring though...

Mar 10, 2017 at 4:24 AM Post #3,087 of 5,394
  Thank you for the feedback. Andromeda aside would the Dorado be a bit brighter? 
It's so difficult to buy without testing!

Yeah it is hard to choose without a listen, you can check out @flinkenick review of the Dorado and Vega there are some comparisons also to Andromeda :)
I have never regretted trusting Nick :)

Dorado has the same TAEC chamber the Andromeda has it might be an interresting option indeed.  

Mar 10, 2017 at 5:05 AM Post #3,088 of 5,394
If you check out my review of the Vega or Dorado (in my signature if you are viewing on a computer) on the Head Gear section, there is a comparison between the two. The Dorado is definitely more sparkly due to the dual BA up top, but loses out in the mud in a straight shootout do it ready depends what you are after.

Both are comfortably along the best IEMs I have heard so far in my audio journey, so neither erupted be a disaster (to put it mildly).

Mar 10, 2017 at 5:32 AM Post #3,089 of 5,394
Mar 10, 2017 at 5:35 AM Post #3,090 of 5,394
If you check out my review of the Vega or Dorado (in my signature if you are viewing on a computer) on the Head Gear section, there is a comparison between the two. The Dorado is definitely more sparkly due to the dual BA up top, but loses out in the mud in a straight shootout do it ready depends what you are after.

Both are comfortably along the best IEMs I have heard so far in my audio journey, so neither erupted be a disaster (to put it mildly).

Thanks mate. I will read your reviews.
As far as what I'm after is probably a jack of all trades. Apart from the IE800 the signature I like in full size headphones is the MSR7 if that helps. I also owned and liked the Denon D7000 and the Fostex TH-600. THE MSR7 is my go to headphone at the moment. To me it has amazing performance for the price

Users who are viewing this thread

Back