Campfire Audio Vega (and Dorado and Lyra II) - Head-Fi TV
Mar 8, 2017 at 12:49 AM Post #3,046 of 5,394
Has anyone experienced VEGA with QP1R?I use the Andromeda Qp1r and really love them.This Experience may be repeated( VEGA + QP1R )

Thanks
I have several cables :wink:

Mar 8, 2017 at 2:19 AM Post #3,047 of 5,394
I have the ex800st (7550) and I think they compare favorably to the Vegas. I tape mine (basshead), so with the tape there is much more bass, and I prefer the ex800st. I think the older Sonys (ex1000 and ex800st) are some of the most underrated and under appreciated iems of all time. I prefer my ex800st over most of my IEMS. I have to compare them head to head with my Vegas, which I haven't done yet. But my list is:

1. Tralucent Ref 1 and Ref 1 Too
2. Tralucent Plus 5
3. Sony EX800st (7550)
4. Vegas (might knock the Sonys off but doubtful)
5. Sony ex1000

That's my top 5...again, Vegas may move up to number 3...but I seriously doubt it. Again, that's more due to me being a basshead. The ex800st just absolutely slam. On the technical, I really don't know which is better. I want to say the Vegas are, but have to listen first. The ex1000 comes very close to the Vegas, but they have that annoying spike, which is why I say they are 5th. That is subject to change as well. Only 1 & 2 are consistent.

​old post I know but your right they are sooo underrated ,I have never heard the ex800 but I did own the ex1000 for awhile and traded them away a few weeks ago and miss them terribly ,very sad about that actually not sure what I was thinking lol they to me sounded the closest I have heard to full size cans in an iem  with the right source they are defintly one of my fav. bar non  why sony stopped making them ill never know. owned the z5 too and really thought the ex1000 was stellar compared to it. except like you said that spike. imo

Mar 8, 2017 at 8:22 AM Post #3,048 of 5,394
​old post I know but your right they are sooo underrated ,I have never heard the ex800 but I did own the ex1000 for awhile and traded them away a few weeks ago and miss them terribly ,very sad about that actually not sure what I was thinking lol they to me sounded the closest I have heard to full size cans in an iem  with the right source they are defintly one of my fav. bar non  why sony stopped making them ill never know. owned the z5 too and really thought the ex1000 was stellar compared to it. except like you said that spike. imo

I'm surprised that Sony's new $$$ 'signature' series included a nice HP amp, DAP and headphones, but no new top end iems. This missing last piece would have tied it all together very nicely.

Mar 8, 2017 at 8:32 AM Post #3,049 of 5,394
I was in the same boat. I sold my 7550's and within two weeks I bought them again. They are now a permanent fixture and serve as a change of pace and a great baseline. I really wish Sony would release a remastered version of the 7550 and the EX1000. Truly underrated.

Mar 8, 2017 at 8:56 AM Post #3,050 of 5,394
I was in the same boat. I sold my 7550's and within two weeks I bought them again. They are now a permanent fixture and serve as a change of pace and a great baseline. I really wish Sony would release a remastered version of the 7550 and the EX1000. Truly underrated.

if any fans of the ex800/1000st are heading to canjam, and there is a Sony booth, hopefully you'll ask some senior member there
if they plan on releasing a TOTL iem (given the new ''Signature series'' release of hp amp, cans and DAP)..
not that we'll get any info but is worth a shot.
...but who knows....maybe a top tier iem is in the works...fingers crossed.

Mar 8, 2017 at 11:29 AM Post #3,051 of 5,394
I'm surprised that Sony's new $$$ 'signature' series included a nice HP amp, DAP and headphones, but no new top end iems. This missing last piece would have tied it all together very nicely.
Yes me too. And really they had the best cable connections. Then they changed and followed suite with everyone else which is a shame. I much preferred that type or two pin for sure.

Sorry didn't meant to side track this thread. Very good read!

Mar 8, 2017 at 11:35 AM Post #3,052 of 5,394
  if any fans of the ex800/1000st are heading to canjam, and there is a Sony booth, hopefully you'll ask some senior member there
if they plan on releasing a TOTL iem (given the new ''Signature series'' release of hp amp, cans and DAP)..
not that we'll get any info but is worth a shot.
...but who knows....maybe a top tier iem is in the works...fingers crossed.

It would be nice to know if something is in the works.

Mar 8, 2017 at 1:55 PM Post #3,053 of 5,394
  It would be nice to know if something is in the works.

had Sony only released the new Z1R cans and HP amp as part of their 70th anniversary
Signature Series, I would understand, thinking it's more about home/office audio.
...but upon also releasing that new high end $3k Walkman WMZ1 DAP, well imo that shouts out a focus on portability,too
...hence where are the TOTL iems to go with it?
anyway...
http://www.sony.ca/en/electronics/audio-signature-series/electronics/audio-signature-series

Mar 8, 2017 at 3:19 PM Post #3,054 of 5,394

Anyone else care to weigh in on theses Sonys vs the Vega? I was quite surprised to see the much less expensice 7550s ranked above the much pricier Vegas, and would love to hear other opinions from folks who have heard both..,

Mar 8, 2017 at 3:48 PM Post #3,055 of 5,394
  Anyone else care to weigh in on theses Sonys vs the Vega? I was quite surprised to see the much less expensice 7550s ranked above the much pricier Vegas, and would love to hear other opinions from folks who have heard both..,

I don't rank the MDR-7550 (same as the EX800ST) above the Vega. The 7550 gets the edge in tonal balance, stage width, and comfort. I'd say that's about it. That being said, for only $250 (brand new) the 7550 performs admirably against all of my TOTL IEMs. I keep them around as a collectible/baseline. Keep in mind, I haven't modded my 7550 and I only recently got the Vega. I've never heard the EX1000 so I can't comment on those but they should perform better than the 7550 with the exception of the treble spike. 

Mar 8, 2017 at 4:19 PM Post #3,056 of 5,394
  had Sony only released the Z1R cans and HP am as part of their 70th anniversary
Signature Series, I would understand, thinking it's more about just home/office audio
...but upon also releasing that new high end $3k Walkman WMZ1 DAP, well imo that shouts out portability
...hence where are the TOTL iems to go with it?
anyway...
http://www.sony.ca/en/electronics/audio-signature-series/electronics/audio-signature-series

It's indeed time Sony releases a smashing IEM. They sure have the engineering muscle to do it if wanted.
Many of the recent Sony offerings weren't bad at all, they just weren't classic-grade.

I actually bet on the XBA-Z5 over the EX1000 (some people do prefer the Z5) and have a unit on order, hopefully it will make an interesting comparison with the Andromeda. A big a@$ dynamic facing a very good BA. I suppose it would make more sense to have a go with a Vega tho.

Mar 8, 2017 at 5:35 PM Post #3,057 of 5,394
It's indeed time Sony releases a smashing IEM. They sure have the engineering muscle to do it if wanted.
Many of the recent Sony offerings weren't bad at all, they just weren't classic-grade.

I actually bet on the XBA-Z5 over the EX1000 (some people do prefer the Z5) and have a unit on order, hopefully it will make an interesting comparison with the Andromeda. A big a@$ dynamic facing a very good BA. I suppose it would make more sense to have a go with a Vega tho.
I've had both and I really couldn't get over the mid bass on the z5 some songs it sounded good but on others wow just couldn't tame it. One thing the the ex1000 does really well is eqing. If your into that. I never did don't really like to. Just a personal things I guess. The ex1000 had amazing bass. Quality and quantity. It was really special. There are some people still to this day prefer it over any totl out there. After a while you kinda get use to that treble spike. To me personally it didn't really bother me. It was part of the signature that made it very unique. I miss them I may have to repurchase it at some point. You can still find them on eBay brand new from Japan I believe. It's definitely something that Needs to be tried heard at least once on this bottomless journey.

Mar 8, 2017 at 6:00 PM Post #3,058 of 5,394
It's pretty wild that this Sony iem (or its bigger brother, the ex1000st) is how many yrs old now? 5 or so?.... and it doesn't have a dozen
or so drivers or a $1-2 k price point...yet it can still garner such espect given it's SQ/sig and (most especially) price
...I had the 7550s, loved the sound, but hated the frankenbolt design and crap cable
(i have the cousin sony 7520 studio cans which I use for portable).

Mar 8, 2017 at 6:42 PM Post #3,059 of 5,394

Isn't the Z5 a BA(2)/DD(1) hybrid?

Mar 8, 2017 at 6:44 PM Post #3,060 of 5,394
  It's pretty wild, isn't it, that this Sony iem (or it's slightly different but still very similar
bigger brother, the ex1000st) is how many yrs old now? 5 or so?.... and it doesn't have a dozen
or so drivers or a $1-2 price point...yet it can still garner such espect given it's SQ/sig and (most especially) price
...I had the 7550s, loved the sound, but hated the frankenbolt design and crap cable
(i have the cousin sony 7520 studio cans which I use for portable).

I'm actually quite fond of the design haha. Makes them super comfy. Not too portable, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back