Campfire Audio Vega (and Dorado and Lyra II) - Head-Fi TV
Mar 7, 2017 at 6:50 AM Post #3,017 of 5,394
I went with the clear tips and it came out to 36€ plus the shipping, I also ordered a set of earplugs at the same time which cost about the same.

I went with the silver metallic for €51 (just checked) to match the shell colour of the Vega. Got an email back from them this morning and expected eta is around the end of March do should hopefully have some impressions up on any sonic changes a few days after that.

Mar 7, 2017 at 11:00 AM Post #3,018 of 5,394
I wasn't looking to get new IEMs but had heard people raving about the Vegas at Canjam NYC and decided to give them a try. Holy crap, they blew my Westone W50 away. So I ordered a pair. I went to CanJam mainly to look at DAPs and fell in love with the Opus#1 Metal and Opus #2. I ended up buying both with the plan to use the Opus#2 and Vega for serious listening when traveling and the Opus#1 Metal and the Westone W50 for shorter trips, like taking the train into NYC.

The more I listen to the the W50, the more I found that I wanted to listen to the Vega. I tried the W50 with the Campfire Litz SE and the ALO Reference 8 Balanced cables and it still sounds lifeless with no soul, sterile and artificial. Whereas the Vega is warm, full and organic. I guess you could say the W50 has a XxX profile while the Vega is XXX.

So I'm looking to replace the W50 with something closer to the Vega but at a much lower price point. The Lyra II sounds like it would fit the bill, but is there any other suggestions for something at it's price point or lower? 

Mar 7, 2017 at 11:22 AM Post #3,019 of 5,394
If I were you, I will just use the Vega. No point of spending extra on something that is not as satisfying as the one you like. vega is very well build and can withstand the daily travel. But if you want something with different flavor, that is entirely different and reasonable, for that I like the Dorado.

Mar 7, 2017 at 11:31 AM Post #3,020 of 5,394
Anyone have additional feedback on the Ref 8 with the Vega?  Not sure if people got to hear it at shows and what not.

Debating if I should get it just to "max out" my Vega's before I turn my attention to on-ears again.

Mar 7, 2017 at 12:09 PM Post #3,021 of 5,394
One thing i could say about Vega is that diamond driver needs well over 300,400 hours to even come close to its best, i wouldn't recommend any serious opinions before that.

Hahaha I guess I will be putting these on the market ASAP 
tongue_smile.gif

Mar 7, 2017 at 12:17 PM Post #3,022 of 5,394
I actually was not blown away by my very first listen (and this is my first foray into totl territory) but it didn't take long before I was totally on board, and they just impress me more and more the more I listen.

My early take was that at anything above a moderate volume the sound would begin to compress - I could put the volume way up and not find them piercing on many things, just really flabby.

Now with another 100 hours or so (including about 20 hours playing heavy bass material at high volume) it seems the ceiling to where this happens is higher.  I think that's ultimately the issue - the driver needs to loosen up some to increase the headroom.

Mar 7, 2017 at 12:40 PM Post #3,023 of 5,394
  Hahaha I guess I will be putting these on the market ASAP 
tongue_smile.gif

300–400 hours is a bit whole lot of an extreme exaggeration IMO.

You already have them, at this point continue to listen for yourself and enjoy your music, if stands out and bothers you just keep in mind it will most likely be corrected in time.

I've come to completely disagree with some of the opinions on here (as will be the case with everyone since it's a matter of taste), but in general, they continue to impress me daily, at some point presenting my music in the best way I've ever heard it before, and then a few days later it somehow gets even better.

Mar 7, 2017 at 12:56 PM Post #3,025 of 5,394
  300–400 hours is a bit whole lot of an extreme exaggeration IMO.

You already have them, at this point continue to listen for yourself and enjoy your music, if stands out and bothers you just keep in mind it will most likely be corrected in time.

I've come to completely disagree with some of the opinions on here (as will be the case with everyone since it's a matter of taste), but in general, they continue to impress me daily, at some point presenting my music in the best way I've ever heard it before, and then a few days later it somehow gets even better.

To be honest, I'm starting to adjust to them already. Not sure if it's driver burn-in or brain burn-in. I'll give it some time. There are things that I really like about these.

Mar 7, 2017 at 1:02 PM Post #3,026 of 5,394
To be honest, I'm starting to adjust to them already. Not sure if it's driver burn-in or brain burn-in. I'll give it some time. There are things that I really like about these.

Same happened to me, was expecting them to take quite a while to burn in due to all the burn in comments but I fell in love with them within a few days (again with regular listening time, 1-2hrs a day).

But they certainly do keep improving somehow, even when you think they're at their peak. Brain or real burn in? Not sure but I don't care either :D

Mar 7, 2017 at 1:05 PM Post #3,027 of 5,394
Same happened to me, was expecting them to take quite a while to burn in due to all the burn in comments but I fell in love with them within a few days (again with regular listening time, 1-2hrs a day).

But they certainly do keep improving somehow, even when you think they're at their peak. Brain or real burn in? Not sure but I don't care either
biggrin.gif

Haha I suppose it doesn't matter as long as I'm happy with them 
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 7, 2017 at 1:26 PM Post #3,029 of 5,394
  Sadly, they're still in the mail thanks to an inexplicable hiccup over at ALO Audio. I'll be sure to let you know when they arrive sometime next week!

Did you get your Elear?

The more I listen to them the more I feel like I got a full size open back Vega :D
Those don't sound like your usual open back at all... the bass and dynamics are so Vega like!

I have done back to back sessions and the Vega have the edge on imaging and clarity but the Elear have well bigger and airier soundstage and have the edge on realism (oversimplified comparison but to give the idea).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back