Campfire Audio Vega (and Dorado and Lyra II) - Head-Fi TV
Mar 5, 2017 at 7:32 AM Post #2,986 of 5,394
Got my Vegas yesterday in the mail. Unboxed and hooked them up to Shadow and iPod classic playing about 100 GB of Apple Lossless for breakin. This morning they sound more balanced.  They are still not as good as My Ether Cs and Ether Flows, but even now they are way better than any IEMs I have ever heard. These are keepers.

Mar 5, 2017 at 3:53 PM Post #2,988 of 5,394
Probably my favorite song from kiasmos -- the Sony zx2 is also on my want list to pair with the vegas-- I'm sold, thank you friend!

"Looped"

Mar 5, 2017 at 9:28 PM Post #2,991 of 5,394
What other IEMs should I consider along with the Vegas and Andromedas? Looking for something in the 1k-1500 range when I get my bonus. Will be using a pioneer XDP-100r and ifi iDSD micro BL

If buying used check out and consider: Oriolus v2, 64 Audio U12, Noble Encore, SME-9.

Mar 5, 2017 at 10:12 PM Post #2,992 of 5,394
What other IEMs should I consider along with the Vegas and Andromedas? Looking for something in the 1k-1500 range when I get my bonus. Will be using a pioneer XDP-100r and ifi iDSD micro BL

The Noble Katana is a nice refinement over the Andromeda in my opinion. You may be able to catch it within your range on sale or used.

Mar 6, 2017 at 6:18 PM Post #2,995 of 5,394
I have both the Andromeda and the Vega hook up to my Hugo from a RWAK240ss as we speak now.  I have been switching back and forth between the two phones.  The Vega has a warmer sound with more body whereas the Andro has a crispier and may be leaner sound.  But both of them are very very clean and just mesmerizing to listen to.  I guess you could say the Vega has a little bit more natural or organic flavor to it whereas the Andro gives you that slightest bit of more air and space. It is really inaccurate to say the Andro has more clarity simply because of pf its thinner and crispier sound because the Vega has just as good clarity and resolution. Sometimes when people describe the warmer sound of the Vega it creates a wrong impression that it is not as clear.  They are both very capable of resolving complex musical materials to make you feel like you are listening to the real thing.

But when the drum hits and when the double bass start to vibrate I can tell you the difference is very significant. With the Andro, you will hear every low frequency down to the lowest register and you will not miss any bass but with the Vega, you don't just hear it, you feel it.  That is the main difference between the two. I was going back and forth on one bass heavy passage, With the Andro I hear all the bass notes but with the Vega, I feel the sustaining vibration through my whole body until it dies.  Very interesting experience feels like the whole house is vibrating.  

Thank you!!'

Mar 6, 2017 at 8:04 PM Post #2,996 of 5,394
There are three different ear foam protectors included. Are any of them Comply? If so is the medium 400?

Mar 6, 2017 at 8:36 PM Post #2,997 of 5,394
Ok, I just got these bad boys yesterday so these are very early impression. Please look at my signature so you know where I'm coming from, preference wise. 

Unboxing: After owning the Jupiter and the Andromeda, I was underwhelmed and pleasantly surprised at the same time. It seems that the quality of the case accompanying CA's TOTL IEM has been on the decline. The Jupiter had a gorgeous nubuck leather (something like that) case with a wool lining. Reminded me of a shearling coat. The Andromeda had a nice leather case with tanned leather. Nice but not as nice as the Jupiter's case. The Vega has a protein leather case and synthetic wool lining. I'm being nice when I say synthetic, BTW. I'm inclined to buy the Jupiter case from CA and just file this one to the side. Not even sure if the zipper tab is actually metal or just painted plastic. On a more positive note, the metal housings are beautiful. They are much nicer than the other CA IEMs in my opinion. I was very impressed until I noticed the plastic nozzles. Maybe they were required for tuning purposes or to meet a certain price point? I don't know. Not a deal breaker but slightly annoying. My real gripe was the poor finishing of said nozzles. Maybe my set is a one-off but I have edges of excess plastic at the end of the nozzle. For $1300, I'd rather not see that at all. I should note that it's not visible once the tips are installed. They also used to include a balanced 2.5mm cable. Not a deal breaker, either. Another positive is the included SpinFits. I wish more manufacturers would get on board with this! Comply and

On a more positive note, the metal housings are beautiful. They are much nicer than the other CA IEMs in my opinion. I was very impressed until I noticed the plastic nozzles. Maybe they were required for tuning purposes or to meet a certain price point? I don't know. Not a deal breaker but slightly annoying. My real gripe was the poor finishing of said nozzles. Maybe my set is a one-off but I have rough edges of excess plastic at the end of the nozzle. For $1300, I'd rather not see that at all. I should note that it's not visible once the tips are installed. The packaging used to include a balanced 2.5mm cable. Not a deal breaker but it was a nice touch. I really like that they've included SpinFits. I wish more manufacturers would get on board with this! Comply and Spinfits, done. Everything else included is the standard affair for CA products, to include their minimalistic but really nice packaging. Overall, not bad but not great, IMO.

Sound: Like I said before, these are very early impressions (i.e. an incoherent rant). That being said, they will likely change over time. I'm not that articulate when it comes to explaining what I hear so take this with a grain of salt. I should also note that I did a little bit of tip and cable rolling and prefer the UE 900 tips (added comfort and air) and the Fidue A91 and A83 cables (both add a little width from what I can tell). So far, I've only used my iPod Touch/Oppo HA-2 with FLAC and AAC files, mostly electronic and acoustic stuff.

First thoughts: "the bass is too much for me!
blink.gif
" It's literally vibrating my skull. Maybe not literally but yeah, the bass is legit. It's very strongly represented in just about every track I've listened to. The quality is exceptional but I could use a tad less quantity for my tastes. The rest of the range is nicely detailed and balanced well enough that I can't complain. The mids are resolving and present enough for me. The treble is nicely extended. Maybe just a tad too bright for my liking. The staging is intimate and the imaging is precise like others have stated. I've only noticed sibilance on known sibilant tracks so there's no issue there for me. The overall sound if very full-bodied and maybe the closest to full-sized cans that I've heard. They actually do remind of the Perhaps IElear, aside from the bass and open-back characteristics. However, I haven't done any A/B'ing yet. Sonically, these are

I've only noticed sibilance on known sibilant tracks so there's no issue there for me. The overall sound if very full-bodied and maybe the closest to full-sized cans that I've heard. They actually do remind me of the Elear in some ways, aside from the bass and open-back characteristics. However, I haven't done any A/B'ing yet so I wouldn't go so far as to say they can replace full-size cans. In regards to sound signature, these are the most unique IEMs I have at the moment. I'm not exactly sure how I feel about them just yet. For acoustic and bass-light music or spatial mixes, they are absolutely amazing. Other tracks can be hit or miss for me. I guess it just depends on the mix. When the stars align, these are jaw-dropping at other times, it's more of a "meh" feeling (compared to other TOTLs BTW). Clearly, more testing is needed. 

I really need to hear these from a balanced source. That, along with the bass leak mod, might be all I need to be really happy with these. It would have been cool if CA had made the bass port tuneable, kinda like the FLC 8S. I'd also like to try another cable so if anyone has any cable suggestions for me, I'm all ears. Oh, and make no mistake about anything I've stated here, these are definitely TOTL status. It really is just a matter of preferences at this level. Based on everything I've listened to, they're competitively priced.

More to follow... I suppose 

Mar 6, 2017 at 8:41 PM Post #2,998 of 5,394
Ok, I just got these bad boys yesterday so these are very early impression. Please look at my signature so you know where I'm coming from, preference wise. 

Unboxing: After owning the Jupiter and the Andromeda, I was underwhelmed and pleasantly surprised at the same time. It seems that the quality of the case accompanying CA's TOTL IEM has been on the decline. The Jupiter had a gorgeous nubuck leather (something like that) case with a wool lining. Reminded me of a shearling coat. The Andromeda had a nice leather case with tanned leather. Nice but not as nice as the Jupiter's case. The Vega has a protein leather case and synthetic wool lining. I'm being nice when I say synthetic, BTW. I'm inclined to buy the Jupiter case from CA and just file this one to the side. Not even sure if the zipper tab is actually metal or just painted plastic. On a more positive note, the metal housings are beautiful. They are much nicer than the other CA IEMs in my opinion. I was very impressed until I noticed the plastic nozzles. Maybe they were required for tuning purposes or to meet a certain price point? I don't know. Not a deal breaker but slightly annoying. My real gripe was the poor finishing of said nozzles. Maybe my set is a one-off but I have edges of excess plastic at the end of the nozzle. For $1300, I'd rather not see that at all. I should note that it's not visible once the tips are installed. They also used to include a balanced 2.5mm cable. Not a deal breaker, either. Another positive is the included SpinFits. I wish more manufacturers would get on board with this! Comply and

On a more positive note, the metal housings are beautiful. They are much nicer than the other CA IEMs in my opinion. I was very impressed until I noticed the plastic nozzles. Maybe they were required for tuning purposes or to meet a certain price point? I don't know. Not a deal breaker but slightly annoying. My real gripe was the poor finishing of said nozzles. Maybe my set is a one-off but I have rough edges of excess plastic at the end of the nozzle. For $1300, I'd rather not see that at all. I should note that it's not visible once the tips are installed. The packaging used to include a balanced 2.5mm cable. Not a deal breaker but it was a nice touch. I really like that they've included SpinFits. I wish more manufacturers would get on board with this! Comply and Spinfits, done. Everything else included is the standard affair for CA products, to include their minimalistic but really nice packaging. Overall, not bad but not great, IMO.

Sound: Like I said before, these are very early impressions (i.e. an incoherent rant). That being said, they will likely change over time. I'm not that articulate when it comes to explaining what I hear so take this with a grain of salt. I should also note that I did a little bit of tip and cable rolling and prefer the UE 900 tips (added comfort and air) and the Fidue A91 and A83 cables (both add a little width from what I can tell). So far, I've only used my iPod Touch/Oppo HA-2 with FLAC and AAC files, mostly electronic and acoustic stuff.

First thoughts: "the bass is too much for me!:blink: " It's literally vibrating my skull. Maybe not literally but yeah, the bass is legit. It's very strongly represented in just about every track I've listened to. The quality is exceptional but I could use a tad less quantity for my tastes. The rest of the range is nicely detailed and balanced well enough that I can't complain. The mids are resolving and present enough for me. The treble is nicely extended. Maybe just a tad too bright for my liking. The staging is intimate and the imaging is precise like others have stated. I've only noticed sibilance on known sibilant tracks so there's no issue there for me. The overall sound if very full-bodied and maybe the closest to full-sized cans that I've heard. They actually do remind of the Perhaps IElear, aside from the bass and open-back characteristics. However, I haven't done any A/B'ing yet. Sonically, these are

I've only noticed sibilance on known sibilant tracks so there's no issue there for me. The overall sound if very full-bodied and maybe the closest to full-sized cans that I've heard. They actually do remind me of the Elear in some ways, aside from the bass and open-back characteristics. However, I haven't done any A/B'ing yet so I wouldn't go so far as to say they can replace full-size cans. In regards to sound signature, these are the most unique IEMs I have at the moment. I'm not exactly sure how I feel about them just yet. For acoustic and bass-light music or spatial mixes, they are absolutely amazing. Other tracks can be hit or miss for me. I guess it just depends on the mix. When the stars align, these are jaw-dropping at other times, it's more of a "meh" feeling (compared to other TOTLs BTW). Clearly, more testing is needed. 

I really need to hear these from a balanced source. That, along with the bass leak mod, might be all I need to be really happy with these. It would have been cool if CA had made the bass port tuneable, kinda like the FLC 8S. I'd also like to try another cable so if anyone has any cable suggestions for me, I'm all ears. Oh, and make no mistake about anything I've stated here, these are definitely TOTL status. It really is just a matter of preferences at this level. Based on everything I've listened to, they're competitively priced.

More to follow... I suppose 

The bass will get under control with burn in. Even a noob like me was able to notice. Under control yet just as great, do not mod it in any way, you seriously will not need it.

Mar 6, 2017 at 8:58 PM Post #2,999 of 5,394
@Mifimoney, enjoy the bass while you have it. After 72 hours, it will tighten up and reduce in quantity and a few of us wish that it will stay that way.:D

Mar 6, 2017 at 8:59 PM Post #3,000 of 5,394
The bass will get under control with burn in. Even a noob like me was able to notice. Under control yet just as great, do not mod it in any way, you seriously will not need it.

That's promising news. However, I've never done any "legitimate" burn-in sessions so if they need 200 hours consecutive hours of pink noise, count me out haha. A bit of an exaggeration but I'll do nothing more than simply put in hours of listening time. Hopefully, that will suffice. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back