Campfire Audio - SuperMoon
May 22, 2022 at 11:06 AM Post #61 of 479
How are they? I couldn't resist and ordered a pair yesterday.
That was quick! I did not think you would pull the trigger this early! Looking forward to reading your impressions expecially!

May 22, 2022 at 11:07 AM Post #62 of 479
That was quick! I did not think you would pull the trigger this early! Looking forward to reading your impressions expecially!

I had a chance to pick up a limited edition universal pair...so I jumped on it.

May 22, 2022 at 11:11 PM Post #63 of 479
Spent some 20 hours with the Supermoon so far. I was advised to give it 100 hours of burn-in but I'm not sure I believe in that. If it somehow manages to get better then yay for me. Only took two weeks to receive after sending my 3D scans. No issues with fit. The sound is overall relatively neutral with bass boost, leaning warm, with a sub-bass bias and a touch of added air on top. I can offer more in-depth thoughts and comparison to the Solaris. All listening done through a Mojo 2.

I must stress that the bass resolution and control is OUTSTANDING. It improves on the Solaris here, which comes across as thicker with a more bubbly DD personality and less definition. The Supermoon simply has better sub-bass extension and speed. While the DD in the Solaris may lend itself to more perceived punch and physicality, Solaris bass remains more linear and grounded. Solaris bass has a gravity to it that pulls you in, while Supermoon bass is spacious and dense. On the right tracks, the Supermoon will rumble your ears more while the Solaris will slam a tad harder.
Additionally, Supermoon actually performs well with percussion, an area in which I believe planars to not be so strong. Drum hits are surprisingly clean with defined impact, but they are still bouncier on the Solaris which may come across as more authentic. Bass guitar reaches deeep and doesn't come through with any bloom, while it sounds a little more organic albeit less extending on the Solaris. Coupled with the wide staging, Supermoon bass is an enveloping, deep, and textured treat. If you want bass in your face, this isn't it.

The midrange is not the focus here unlike the Solaris. Vocals lean on the airier and smoother side, while vocals on the Solaris are wetter, weightier, and more intimate. The intimacy of vocals on Solaris makes them seem large and gooey, while the Supermoon's staging gives vocals breathing room and more depth. Guitars sound richer on the Solaris, but the Supermoon has a cleaner tone here with better layering and separation. The Supermoon is cleaner and more levelheaded than the Solaris in general. This carries over to other instruments like piano and saxophone, which hold a less colorful and more detailed presentation.

The treble is blissfully smooth without seeming too laidback. I don't detect any peaks here despite the treble being filled in a bit more than the Solaris, which does have a more noticeable localized peak. The ethereal quality, or planar glaze, is carried from the midrange into the treble resulting in a pleasant and detailed silkiness across the range. There isn't a hint of grain here. Supermoon manages to smooth over some sharpness that I often hear in piano with other sets. And violins, oh man, violins are swift and rich and never strident. Solaris opts for more contrast with many instruments, which makes them sound less filled in at times but perhaps more colorfully amusing. Supermoon maintains a more even and smoother approach here.

Supermoon is wider and has a roomier stage than the Solaris. That was a recurring theme. It has a more mature tonality that is slightly more detailed than the Solaris but doesn't shy away from engagement. Solaris sacrifices some perception of detail for overt musicality and contrast. Solaris vocal performance still has me completely enamored and the Supermoon hasn't changed that, nor was it meant to. They serve a different purpose for a different mood. I'm really happy with the Supermoon and it will serve nicely when I want something pleasingly levelheaded with a killer bass that is north of neutral.

supermoon.jpeg

May 23, 2022 at 11:05 PM Post #64 of 479
Spent some 20 hours with the Supermoon so far. I was advised to give it 100 hours of burn-in but I'm not sure I believe in that. If it somehow manages to get better then yay for me. Only took two weeks to receive after sending my 3D scans. No issues with fit. The sound is overall relatively neutral with bass boost, leaning warm, with a sub-bass bias and a touch of added air on top. I can offer more in-depth thoughts and comparison to the Solaris. All listening done through a Mojo 2.

I must stress that the bass resolution and control is OUTSTANDING. It improves on the Solaris here, which comes across as thicker with a more bubbly DD personality and less definition. The Supermoon simply has better sub-bass extension and speed. While the DD in the Solaris may lend itself to more perceived punch and physicality, Solaris bass remains more linear and grounded. Solaris bass has a gravity to it that pulls you in, while Supermoon bass is spacious and dense. On the right tracks, the Supermoon will rumble your ears more while the Solaris will slam a tad harder.
Additionally, Supermoon actually performs well with percussion, an area in which I believe planars to not be so strong. Drum hits are surprisingly clean with defined impact, but they are still bouncier on the Solaris which may come across as more authentic. Bass guitar reaches deeep and doesn't come through with any bloom, while it sounds a little more organic albeit less extending on the Solaris. Coupled with the wide staging, Supermoon bass is an enveloping, deep, and textured treat. If you want bass in your face, this isn't it.

The midrange is not the focus here unlike the Solaris. Vocals lean on the airier and smoother side, while vocals on the Solaris are wetter, weightier, and more intimate. The intimacy of vocals on Solaris makes them seem large and gooey, while the Supermoon's staging gives vocals breathing room and more depth. Guitars sound richer on the Solaris, but the Supermoon has a cleaner tone here with better layering and separation. The Supermoon is cleaner and more levelheaded than the Solaris in general. This carries over to other instruments like piano and saxophone, which hold a less colorful and more detailed presentation.

The treble is blissfully smooth without seeming too laidback. I don't detect any peaks here despite the treble being filled in a bit more than the Solaris, which does have a more noticeable localized peak. The ethereal quality, or planar glaze, is carried from the midrange into the treble resulting in a pleasant and detailed silkiness across the range. There isn't a hint of grain here. Supermoon manages to smooth over some sharpness that I often hear in piano with other sets. And violins, oh man, violins are swift and rich and never strident. Solaris opts for more contrast with many instruments, which makes them sound less filled in at times but perhaps more colorfully amusing. Supermoon maintains a more even and smoother approach here.

Supermoon is wider and has a roomier stage than the Solaris. That was a recurring theme. It has a more mature tonality that is slightly more detailed than the Solaris but doesn't shy away from engagement. Solaris sacrifices some perception of detail for overt musicality and contrast. Solaris vocal performance still has me completely enamored and the Supermoon hasn't changed that, nor was it meant to. They serve a different purpose for a different mood. I'm really happy with the Supermoon and it will serve nicely when I want something pleasingly levelheaded with a killer bass that is north of neutral.

Excellent impressions. You definitely have a gift in describing the sound that makes us really understand and gives us that emotional connection. Well done!

May 23, 2022 at 11:07 PM Post #65 of 479
I had a chance to pick up a limited edition universal pair...so I jumped on it.
Definitely interested in hearing your immaculate words and impressions:)

May 24, 2022 at 5:34 AM Post #66 of 479

supermoon.jpeg

A wider and roomier soundstage than the OG Solaris? Oh now this is on my radar, here's to hoping a universal version is available later.

May 24, 2022 at 8:55 AM Post #68 of 479
A wider and roomier soundstage than the OG Solaris? Oh now this is on my radar, here's to hoping a universal version is available later.
I should clarify I have the Solaris 2020 Shrink Ray edition, which sounded practically identical to the regular Solaris 2020 when I briefly compared them. I never tried the OG.

May 24, 2022 at 1:08 PM Post #69 of 479
I should clarify I have the Solaris 2020 Shrink Ray edition, which sounded practically identical to the regular Solaris 2020 when I briefly compared them. I never tried the OG.
Ahh thanks for clarifying, I saw the yellow housing and automatically assumed it was the og.

May 28, 2022 at 6:49 AM Post #70 of 479
Supermoon (universal fit version available in Hong Kong) tasted like somewhere between Solaris Shrink Ray and Dorado 2020.
Can’t really say which one is the best, just different favours from time to time.

Never try any CM, but the Supermoon universal does fit better than either Solaris Shrink Ray or Dorado 2020.

May 28, 2022 at 9:45 AM Post #71 of 479
Supermoon (universal fit version available in Hong Kong) tasted like somewhere between Solaris Shrink Ray and Dorado 2020.
Can’t really say which one is the best, just different favours from time to time.

Never try any CM, but the Supermoon universal does fit better than either Solaris Shrink Ray or Dorado 2020.
CFA CIEM Demo units have the best fit and comfort I’ve tried thus far.

Jun 6, 2022 at 1:33 PM Post #72 of 479
I may as well post this here as well. The Campfire Supermoon has changed the game for me. Timeless was a taster-- this is the real deal. Planars have officially arrived imho-- it will be hard for me to go back to anything else after this. I've always kind of felt that single drivers are the ideal for a variety of reasons but it's not until now that I feel we've reached a point where you can cover all technical and tonal bases with a single driver and leave nothing to be desired. Resolution on these things is insane, as is the coherence. Couple this with a nice dynamic timbre and I don't know what else one could want. Planars are the future as has often been said and if the Supermoon is any indicator they are officially here imho. Presently my number 1 IEM.

3E4C8C7E-812A-4D9B-A3D7-222DE20C6FD3.JPEG

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2022 at 6:05 PM Post #73 of 479
I may as well post this here as well. The Campfire Supermoon has changed the game for me. Timeless was a taster-- this is the real deal. Planars have officially arrived imho-- it will be hard for me to go back to anything else after this. I've always kind of felt that single drivers are the ideal for a variety of reasons but it's not until now that I feel we've reached a point where you can cover all technical and tonal bases with a single driver and leave nothing to be desired. Resolution on these things is insane, as is the coherence. Couple this with a nice dynamic timbre and I don't know what else one could want. Planars are the future as has often been said and if the Supermoon is any indicator they are officially here imho. Presently my number 1 IEM.

High praise indeed. Supermoon has been insanely seductive this past week, luring me away from other sets like a damn childhood crush. There are more Campfire releases this year to take note of, but they're all multidriver configs and I was really beginning to adopt the philosophy of keeping things simple. I'll still definitely demo the Trifecta. Triple DDs with no crossover so should be interesting.

Jun 8, 2022 at 1:11 AM Post #74 of 479

supermoon.jpeg

Great impressions as always guys. Look forward to more over time, and glad you are loving your units.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back