Campfire Audio - SuperMoon
Apr 29, 2022 at 4:21 PM Post #46 of 479
Great write up buddy!

You beat me to it lol

My previous injury started bothering me again so I wasn't able to visit BBR this week.

Hopefully, I get to visit next week.
Thanks! Hope you heal up quick, would be great to get more impressions from folks on Supermoon. I liked them a lot.

Thanks for the writeup!

What though would you qualify as their signature tuning? I ask because at this point it seems they have a lot of releases with fairly all over the map tunings that I would find it hard to nail down any one in particular as their house signature anymore.

Just also wondering, as a whole, would you say they felt balanced or warm, or v shaped, or w... or?
I should clarify that when I mention 'signature' CFA sound, I am comparing it to their most popular IEMs (Ara, Andromeda, Solaris) but in this case, I am comparing the Supermoon to the similarities that it shares with the Solaris 2020 and Dorado 2020 in terms of sonic profile.

To me, they sounded well-balanced, detailed and more akin to a W shaped tonal signature. Maybe leaning towards a warmer tonality. The Dorado's are more V shaped and these are more balanced with the mids taking slightly more stage presence with plenty of air, separation and extension but doesn't overly colour on the treble to make it easier to listen to for longer sessions. It just felt tonally balanced across the range but still with plenty of energy to my ears. I would also expect that with the appropriate hours of burn-in listening, it would only get more smooth and pristine. But man, the imaging and instrument separation and placement really surprised me.

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2022 at 7:57 PM Post #47 of 479
Got to demo the Supermoon today and ended up buying a pair. I was honestly expecting something with more energy in the upper midrange and lower treble, but I'm happy to report that it is a really pleasant, warm tuning with that signature, deep, clean, well textured planar bass, and that ethereal, floaty treble. You can trust Campfire's bar graphs. There is a clear focus on the sub-bass, with low end in general having a massive scape. Solaris bass is more linear and more polite, perhaps just as punchy, with that more authentic DD timbre. There is some lift in the midrange giving vocals a hearty presence, however vocals aren't as large as they are on the Solaris, but they are smoother and more encompassing of the stage. The treble was also effortlessly silky, whereas on the Solaris they are crisper and more vibrant. Overall, it's a really easy, soothing listen with a massaging bass, smooth mids, and a beautifully detailed treble that isn't overbearing in the slightest. It has that mature timbre that is decidedly planar, but still really fun.

I also demoed the Equinox and it's a Dorado 2020 on steroids. I'm sad to have slept on customs for so long so I'll definitely be buying that when it goes on sale again sometime soon, hopefully. But the Supermoon will tide me over for now.

Apr 30, 2022 at 8:08 PM Post #48 of 479
Got to demo the Supermoon today and ended up buying a pair. I was honestly expecting something with more energy in the upper midrange and lower treble, but I'm happy to report that it is a really pleasant, warm tuning with that signature, deep, clean, well textured planar bass, and that ethereal, floaty treble. You can trust Campfire's bar graphs. There is a clear focus on the sub-bass, with low end in general having a massive scape. Solaris bass is more linear and more polite, perhaps just as punchy, with that more authentic DD timbre. There is some lift in the midrange giving vocals a hearty presence, however vocals aren't as large as they are on the Solaris, but they are smoother and more encompassing of the stage. The treble was also effortlessly silky, whereas on the Solaris they are crisper and more vibrant. Overall, it's a really easy, soothing listen with a massaging bass, smooth mids, and a beautifully detailed treble that isn't overbearing in the slightest. It has that mature timbre that is decidedly planar, but still really fun.

I also demoed the Equinox and it's a Dorado 2020 on steroids. I'm sad to have slept on customs for so long so I'll definitely be buying that when it goes on sale again sometime soon, hopefully. But the Supermoon will tide me over for now.

Thanks! Considering I own the Equinox and the Solstice, picking up the Supermoon will be inevitable. Initial impressions seem to be very positive.

Did you get to get to demo of the Sostice? What did you think of it in comparison?

Apr 30, 2022 at 8:13 PM Post #49 of 479
Thanks! Considering I own the Equinox and the Solstice, picking up the Supermoon will be inevitable. Initial impressions seem to be very positive.

Did you get to get to demo of the Sostice? What did you think of it in comparison?
Unfortunately, I didn't think of trying it because I believe I have an inherent bias against BAs haha. But the Equinox had a surreal bass response, and in general a really massive, voluptuous presentation.

May 2, 2022 at 3:50 AM Post #50 of 479
Received my Supermoon this morning.
Ordered on April 25th (and sent 3D scanned ear impressions on the same day), shipped on 29th, and arrived in Japan on May 2nd.
I was expecting a lead time of 2 months, but it only took a week lol.
The 3D scanned ear impressions must have helped the procedure to shorten I guess?
Will leave some brief impressions ( and comparisons with Equinox/Solstice) in a week or so.
20220502_091529.jpg

May 2, 2022 at 7:59 AM Post #52 of 479
Is the Supermoon low end closer to Dorado2020 or Vega2020?
Vega has a tad more sub-bass presence than Dorado, and Dorado comes across as slightly punchier and more textured, but they both have a really similar bass response. It's a different kind of bass, but for the sake of comparison, Supermoon bass is probably closer to the Vega bass, just cleaner, faster, and with that "taller" quality. It's hard to compare from memory since I spent just shy of 30 minutes with them and didn't do a direct A/B. But Vega will definitely gape your ear canals with more air at the end of the day.

May 2, 2022 at 8:40 AM Post #53 of 479
But Vega will definitely gape your ear canals with more air at the end of the day.
Is that.. a good thing? Sounds painful lol :joy:
Your comment on the Equinox made me very interested!
I hadn't really looked at that IEM or considered it at all at the time.
But I've got the Dorado 2020 since then and really love it!
What would you say are the differences/commonalities between the Dorado 2020 and the Equinox? (Anyone else who's heard both, feel free to answer too!) :)

I thought the Equinox was essentially a kind of custom version of the Atlas? Not sure if I got that right though. And I've never heard the Atlas, so impressions of Equinox vs Dorado 2020 are more useful to me anyway :D

May 2, 2022 at 9:28 AM Post #54 of 479
I thought the Equinox was essentially a kind of custom version of the Atlas?

That's my understanding though the Equinox is supposed to be less v-shaped.

May 2, 2022 at 9:38 AM Post #55 of 479
Is that.. a good thing? Sounds painful lol :joy:
Your comment on the Equinox made me very interested!
I hadn't really looked at that IEM or considered it at all at the time.
But I've got the Dorado 2020 since then and really love it!
What would you say are the differences/commonalities between the Dorado 2020 and the Equinox? (Anyone else who's heard both, feel free to answer too!) :)

I thought the Equinox was essentially a kind of custom version of the Atlas? Not sure if I got that right though. And I've never heard the Atlas, so impressions of Equinox vs Dorado 2020 are more useful to me anyway :D
I never tried the Atlas because its format was weird, so the Dorado was the best parallel I could make. But my brother owned the Atlas and even he was taken back by the Equinox bass. It was seriously one of the most visceral responses I've ever heard, even leaving things like the Legend X behind, yet it somehow wasn't as pervasive as the LX bass if that makes sense. I'm guessing there's better coherency with the Equinox.

The Dorado already has a massive engagement factor, but the Equinox takes it up a considerable notch across the board. And because it's just a single DD, instruments and vocals just sounded outright better to me. I have to reiterate the term voloptuous. For my personal tastes, it was the best thing I ever heard. I ended up getting the Supermoon because I also want something that is more laid back and mature.

May 2, 2022 at 12:39 PM Post #56 of 479
I never tried the Atlas because its format was weird, so the Dorado was the best parallel I could make. But my brother owned the Atlas and even he was taken back by the Equinox bass. It was seriously one of the most visceral responses I've ever heard, even leaving things like the Legend X behind, yet it somehow wasn't as pervasive as the LX bass if that makes sense. I'm guessing there's better coherency with the Equinox.

The Dorado already has a massive engagement factor, but the Equinox takes it up a considerable notch across the board. And because it's just a single DD, instruments and vocals just sounded outright better to me. I have to reiterate the term voloptuous. For my personal tastes, it was the best thing I ever heard. I ended up getting the Supermoon because I also want something that is more laid back and mature.
Hmm.. love these impressions, many thanks! Suddenly I am interested in hearing that Equinox, just when I thought I was safe :sweat_smile:
Wonder how the Equinox compares with the new Supermoon... anyone heard both? :D

May 3, 2022 at 1:21 AM Post #57 of 479
Received my Supermoon this morning.
Ordered on April 25th (and sent 3D scanned ear impressions on the same day), shipped on 29th, and arrived in Japan on May 2nd.
I was expecting a lead time of 2 months, but it only took a week lol.
The 3D scanned ear impressions must have helped the procedure to shorten I guess?
Will leave some brief impressions ( and comparisons with Equinox/Solstice) in a week or so.20220502_091529.jpg

Beautiful - so jealous!

That's my understanding though the Equinox is supposed to be less v-shaped.

Correct. The Equinox is more of a W shape.

Equinox bass is different from Atlas bass. Atlas bass is more controlled with plenty of impact while Equinox is just "everything". I'd say it's the IEM version of the Campfire Cascade (fondly coined basscade).

Hmm.. love these impressions, many thanks! Suddenly I am interested in hearing that Equinox, just when I thought I was safe :sweat_smile:
Wonder how the Equinox compares with the new Supermoon... anyone heard both? :D

Best place to keep an eye on is here!

May 3, 2022 at 9:44 PM Post #58 of 479
Just got my Supermoon with audiophile fit in today. I sent my .stl files from Customart to Campfire via email with my order. I was worried the audiophile fit nozzles would be to short but thankfully the fit is perfect. Inserting and removing Supermoon is more convenient than a Customart ciem yet isolates a little more to my ears. The shell feels alot like a EE LX shell without the driver flex. I need to listen more before I make any impressions.

May 5, 2022 at 11:53 PM Post #59 of 479
Just got my Supermoon with audiophile fit in today. I sent my .stl files from Customart to Campfire via email with my order. I was worried the audiophile fit nozzles would be to short but thankfully the fit is perfect. Inserting and removing Supermoon is more convenient than a Customart ciem yet isolates a little more to my ears. The shell feels alot like a EE LX shell without the driver flex. I need to listen more before I make any impressions.

Congratulations on the pickup. Look forward to your feedback!

May 22, 2022 at 9:55 AM Post #60 of 479

How are they? I couldn't resist and ordered a pair yesterday.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back