Campfire Audio - SuperMoon
Jun 29, 2022 at 2:59 PM Post #91 of 479
How does it compare to Raptgo Hook-X?

Two different pricepoints and different form factor would be an important thing to keep in mind - these would be quite hard to do a direct comparison in my opinion.

Jul 7, 2022 at 12:32 AM Post #93 of 479
Also they seem to be open back.

Correct, that's another really important difference that makes accurate impressions even harder to compare.

Jul 13, 2022 at 11:56 PM Post #94 of 479
Looks like I have the chance to demo these now. Due to discomfort with many tip materials I've been using Austrian Audio Hi-X60 and a pair of Sennheiser Hd424 I refurbished and installed pleather ear pads onto. It's getting hot out though and I miss having IEMs. Audiophile fit customs seem like they could be just what I need.

Jul 18, 2022 at 9:45 PM Post #97 of 479
Anyone else try these out recently?

I wish - need to follow up with Campfire and see if they more demos available now than they previously did!

Jul 21, 2022 at 3:57 PM Post #98 of 479
Introduction
Made an account to give my impression on the Campfire Audio Supermoon UIEM. I had the chance to try them out alongside Campfire's Equinox, Solstice, and Andromeda (2020), as well as a few other IEM (64 Audio's U12t, U18t/s, Trio... Senheisser IE900). My preferred music genres include (A-Z): Electronic, Classical, Classics, Pop (English, Japanese & Korean), Jazz, Rap, and Rock. I met with an audiologist for a hearing test a week before sitting down with these IEMs. I was informed that I have perfectly good hearing for my age (20) with very slight deviations for mid frequencies between my left and right ear (no clue if this matters). Do note that my knowledge on this hobby is limited, which my impressions may reflect. I tend to run the Bose earbuds and headphones as a daily driver... Yeah, sorry.

Equipment
I ran the IEMs through a Shanling M6 Pro 21 and Sony Xperia 1 III. The only other thing of note was the use of a CFA Saber 4.4mm cable which is made of pure copper (unlike the Smoky Litz which uses silver plated copper). This had a considerable effect on the sound signature of the Supermoon. I will elaborate further below.

Impressions
The Supermoon is by far the most interesting option in their "CIEM" lineup. The signature planar sound can be heard throughout the bass and sub-bass with its immediate and at times intense detailing. This detail can be felt at all frequencies with focus on the bass/sub-bass and treble. Furthermore, the lower mids/mids are smooth, carrying a neutral presence in most songs I listened to. The upper-mids and treble carry at times a degree of clarity that may be classified as "technical". High hats, for example, held a high degree of clarity which at times felt distracting to the rest of the soundstage. Although, this may simply be due to my inexperience with non-neutral sound signatures. With these thoughts in mind, the Supermoon presents itself with a V-Signature with extra emphasis on the sub-bass and upper-mids to treble. Compared to the other Campfire CIEMs, it seems to extend itself in the treble allowing for a vaster soundstage.

Another small consideration to the Supermoon would be its evolution through power. The Supermoon is considerably more hungry than the listed IEMs besides the 64 Audio U18-series. It is able to run on the Sony Xperia 1 III rather well, sounding much warmer and musical than when ran through a DAP. This did come at the sacrifice of detail, especially noticeable for the mid and treble ranges. I was able to receive a warmer signature without detail loss on the Shanling M6 Pro 21 by using the Saber 4.4mm cable. The treble took a step back while the mids were brought forward. Overall, I found this more musically enjoyable when considering a varied selection of tracks, but some may finds this deprives the listener of the planar experience.

A Dumb Analogy
Due to my inexperience with audio equipment, I wish to use a family analogy to describe how the Supermoon compares to some of the other IEMs I have tried. The 64 Audio U12/18t are the refined and rather mature brothers who happens to be excellent at everything. They do not disappoint their parents and are often used against their siblings as what they ought to be like. A step down is the Senheisser IE900 who happens to be rather modest. Certainly worthy of praise, but not as acclaimed as his older brothers. The Campfire line-up are, uhhh... Like the adopted siblings. Slightly ostracized; more fun at parties. They are characteristically very different from their siblings while each being prodigious in their own fields. The Equinox is the sporty and outgoing youngest brother. The Solstice is the elder sister who carries a motherly nature. Finally, the Supermoon is the youngest sister who works extremely hard. Her pursuit differs greatly from the rest of the family, but that does not make her lesser.

Summary
The Supermoon is a standout representation of what planar technology has to offer. They hold their characteristic quirks which may or may not be appreciated by their user (i.e., V-Signature and its technical treble). But, most of all, it's a fun IEM. Yes, I did order it. It was a close call between the Solstice and the Supermoon. They couldn't be more different than one another in philosophy. The Solstice felt rather intimate and warm with a beautiful, rounded technical performance. Alternatively, the Supermoon was fast-paced and resolving, with a vast soundstage compared to its other Campfire siblings.

Although the Supermoon is by no means neutral, nor is it as technically skilled as the IE900 or the 64 Audio line-up (the ones that I did try), they carry their weight in musicality and intrigue. I would highly suggest giving these a try. At the very least, they are an interesting and engaging listen. They walk an untrodden path and they do it damn well.

Feel free to ask any questions.

UPDATE: Received the Supermoon as of 08-12. Took 3 weeks to arrive.

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2022 at 11:14 PM Post #100 of 479
Introduction
Made an account to give my impression on the CFA Supermoon UIEM. I had the chance to try them out alongside Campfire's Equinox, Solstice, and Andromeda (2020), as well as a few other IEM (64 Audio's U12t, U18t/s, Trio... Senheisser IE900). My preferred music genres include (A-Z): Electronic, Classical, Classics, Pop (English, Japanese & Korean), Jazz, Rap, and Rock. I met with an audiologist for a hearing test a week before sitting down with these IEMs. I was informed that I have perfectly good hearing for my age (20) with very slight deviations for mid frequencies between my left and right ear (no clue if this matters). Do note that my knowledge on this hobby is limited, which my impressions may reflect. I tend to run the Bose earbuds and headphones as a daily driver... Yeah, sorry.

Equipment
I ran the IEMs through a Shanling M6 Pro 21 and Sony Xperia 1 III. The only other thing of note was the use of a CFA Saber 4.4mm cable which is made of pure copper (unlike the Smoky Litz which uses silver plated copper). This had a considerable effect on the sound signature of the Campfire Supermoon. I will elaborate further below.

Impressions
The CFA Supermoon is by far the most interesting option in their "CIEM" lineup. The signature planar sound can be heard throughout the bass and sub-bass with its immediate and at times intense detailing. This detail can be felt at all frequencies with focus on the bass/sub-bass and treble. Furthermore, the lower mids/mids are smooth, carrying a neutral presence in most songs I listened to. The upper-mids and treble carry at times a degree of clarity that may be classified as "technical". High hats, for example, held a high degree of clarity which at times felt distracting to the rest of the soundstage. Although, this may simply be due to my inexperience with non-neutral sound signatures. With these thoughts in mind, the Supermoon presents itself with a V-Signature with extra emphasis on the sub-bass and upper-mids to treble. Compared to the other Campfire CIEMs, it seems to extend itself in the treble allowing for a vaster soundstage.

Another small consideration to the Supermoon would be its evolution through power. The Supermoon is considerably more hungry than the listed IEMs besides the 64 Audio U18-series. It is able to run on the Sony Xperia 1 III rather well, sounding much warmer and musical than when ran through a DAP. This did come at the sacrifice of detail, especially noticeable for the mid and treble ranges. I was able to receive a warmer signature without detail loss on the Shanling M6 Pro 21 by using the Saber 4.4mm cable. The treble took a step back while the mids were brought forward. Overall, I found this more musically enjoyable when considering a varied selection of tracks, but some may finds this deprives the listener of the planar experience.

A Dumb Analogy
Due to my inexperience with audio equipment, I wish to use a family analogy to describe how the Supermoon compares to some of the other IEMs I have tried. The 64 Audio U12/18t are the refined and rather mature brothers who happens to be excellent at everything. They do not disappoint their parents and are often used against their siblings as what they ought to be like. A step down is the Senheisser IE900 who happens to be rather modest. Certainly worthy of praise, but not as acclaimed as his older brothers. The Campfire line-up are, uhhh... Like the adopted siblings. Slightly ostracized; more fun at parties. They are characteristically very different from their siblings while each being prodigious in their own fields. The Equinox is the sporty and outgoing youngest brother. The Solstice is the elder sister who carries a motherly nature. Finally, the Supermoon is the youngest sister who works extremely hard. Her pursuit differs greatly from the rest of the family, but that does not make her lesser.

Summary
The Supermoon is a standout representation of what planar technology has to offer. They hold their characteristic quirks which may or may not be appreciated by their user (i.e., V-Signature and its technical treble). But, most of all, it's a fun IEM. Yes, I did order it. It was a close call between the Solstice and the Supermoon. They couldn't be more different than one another in philosophy. The Solstice felt rather intimate and warm with a beautiful, rounded technical performance. Alternatively, the Supermoon was fast-paced and resolving, with a vast soundstage compared to its other Campfire siblings.

Although the Supermoon is by no means neutral, nor is it as technically skilled as the IE900 or the 64 Audio line-up (the ones that I did try), they carry their weight in musicality and intrigue. I would highly suggest giving these a try. At the very least, they are an interesting and engaging listen. They walk an untrodden path and they do it damn well.

Feel free to ask any questions.
Nice review! Love the analogies. Very easy to understand!

Jul 24, 2022 at 10:56 PM Post #101 of 479
I've been listening to my demo unit for a few days now. My feelings are pretty conflicted and I'm not certain that I'll commit to a pair.

(All listening done so far through an ADI-2 RME into a Topping A50s. The demo unit comes with three sizes of foam tips, presumably to mimic the isolation of a custom fit, but they were all heinously uncomfortable. Tried Azla Xelastec's, Spinfit CP155's, ultimately settled on a pair of cylindrical silicone tips that came with my Timeless.)

The pros of this pair all fit into the realm of what I'd call "presentation." Soundstage width is very good, depth is as good as I've heard from IEMs (which is to say, not spectacular, but there is at least some front to back delineation) and, most spectacularly, there is actually quite a lot of height, something I personally love in audio gear and have never heard represented to this extent in a monitor of any kind. Layering of instruments is fantastic and imaging is in the sweet spot that I generally prefer; very accurate and well-separated but not to that pin-point degree of something like a Sundara or an ESP-95X (which I personally find unnatural in an unnerving kind of way). Detailing is quite good throughout the frequency range, with enough details through the mids and treble to provide that joy of "wow I've never heard that before" without absolutely stabbing your brain with too much information. Overall, what these features lend themselves to is a large, enveloping sound that is quite addicting. They remind me in their presentation a lot of the Hifiman egg-shaped series, which is a huge compliment from me whose favorite headphone is the Edition X v2.

The problems are all really with the tuning. I don't have any major complaints with the bass; it's very decidedly elevated and that can occasionally come off a little bit "wrong" in quiet moments where the bass is clearly meant to be mixed lower than the Supermoons present it, but it's for the most part very fun and lends itself particularly well to intense double kicks in metal. Texture is surprisingly a little bit lacking; I've gotten more accurate texture from lower-end monitors like the B2D and the Timeless. But the quantity is generally pleasing while maintaining good separation from the rest of the range.
Where the issues crop up is in the midrange. I haven't seen a graph of these yet but I'm gonna guess there's a notable scoop in the lower mids. Hearty textured male vocals (e.g. Adam Gontier, Damiano David, Scott Anderson) lack body and distorted guitars in rock and metal feel thin. This leaves a lot of my favorite vocalists feeling a bit boring, which is a disappointment in itself but still preferable to what happens to female and some upper-register male vocalists. These things can get shouty, something I notice in particular with modern female-led pop (e.g. Leah Kate, Selena Gomez). I would caution that my opinion in this regard should be taken with several large grains of salt; not only am I sensitive to this particular problem, but I find it's exacerbated for me by sets that have particularly wide-bore, deep-insertion nozzles like these universal demos do. However it means that there's some music I just can't comfortably listen to on these, and I'm not ever a huge fan of that.
The treble is more tolerable to my ears than the mids. It's definitely a bit elevated and a little peaky in places. Violins in particular I find can get a little too hot (I'm thinking of the outro in Gazpacho's "Massive Illusion" in particular). In spite of how upper-mid sensitive I am, I don't find I'm all that treble sensitive, so I would say that treblephobes should be cautious with these. I haven't noticed any sibilance in my ~7 hours of total listening, so no demerits there at least. Extension is very good but I wouldn't call it class-leading.

Really just not sure on these. Was very excited by the prospect of a planar CIEM since all my favorite over-ears have been planars and nothing in the IEM realm has nearly captured the same kind of magic for me. In some regards these do live up to my expectations, but the tuning is just not my cup of tea. I do appreciate the attempt to make a custom line that deviates from the very flat, often boring tuning of most other custom monitors but I don't think it really works for me. If anybody has suggestions for other custom options I should look into in a similar price range, I'm all ears.

Jul 25, 2022 at 2:27 AM Post #102 of 479
I've been listening to my demo unit for a few days now. My feelings are pretty conflicted and I'm not certain that I'll commit to a pair.

(All listening done so far through an ADI-2 RME into a Topping A50s. The demo unit comes with three sizes of foam tips, presumably to mimic the isolation of a custom fit, but they were all heinously uncomfortable. Tried Azla Xelastec's, Spinfit CP155's, ultimately settled on a pair of cylindrical silicone tips that came with my Timeless.)

The pros of this pair all fit into the realm of what I'd call "presentation." Soundstage width is very good, depth is as good as I've heard from IEMs (which is to say, not spectacular, but there is at least some front to back delineation) and, most spectacularly, there is actually quite a lot of height, something I personally love in audio gear and have never heard represented to this extent in a monitor of any kind. Layering of instruments is fantastic and imaging is in the sweet spot that I generally prefer; very accurate and well-separated but not to that pin-point degree of something like a Sundara or an ESP-95X (which I personally find unnatural in an unnerving kind of way). Detailing is quite good throughout the frequency range, with enough details through the mids and treble to provide that joy of "wow I've never heard that before" without absolutely stabbing your brain with too much information. Overall, what these features lend themselves to is a large, enveloping sound that is quite addicting. They remind me in their presentation a lot of the Hifiman egg-shaped series, which is a huge compliment from me whose favorite headphone is the Edition X v2.

The problems are all really with the tuning. I don't have any major complaints with the bass; it's very decidedly elevated and that can occasionally come off a little bit "wrong" in quiet moments where the bass is clearly meant to be mixed lower than the Supermoons present it, but it's for the most part very fun and lends itself particularly well to intense double kicks in metal. Texture is surprisingly a little bit lacking; I've gotten more accurate texture from lower-end monitors like the B2D and the Timeless. But the quantity is generally pleasing while maintaining good separation from the rest of the range.
Where the issues crop up is in the midrange. I haven't seen a graph of these yet but I'm gonna guess there's a notable scoop in the lower mids. Hearty textured male vocals (e.g. Adam Gontier, Damiano David, Scott Anderson) lack body and distorted guitars in rock and metal feel thin. This leaves a lot of my favorite vocalists feeling a bit boring, which is a disappointment in itself but still preferable to what happens to female and some upper-register male vocalists. These things can get shouty, something I notice in particular with modern female-led pop (e.g. Leah Kate, Selena Gomez). I would caution that my opinion in this regard should be taken with several large grains of salt; not only am I sensitive to this particular problem, but I find it's exacerbated for me by sets that have particularly wide-bore, deep-insertion nozzles like these universal demos do. However it means that there's some music I just can't comfortably listen to on these, and I'm not ever a huge fan of that.
The treble is more tolerable to my ears than the mids. It's definitely a bit elevated and a little peaky in places. Violins in particular I find can get a little too hot (I'm thinking of the outro in Gazpacho's "Massive Illusion" in particular). In spite of how upper-mid sensitive I am, I don't find I'm all that treble sensitive, so I would say that treblephobes should be cautious with these. I haven't noticed any sibilance in my ~7 hours of total listening, so no demerits there at least. Extension is very good but I wouldn't call it class-leading.

Really just not sure on these. Was very excited by the prospect of a planar CIEM since all my favorite over-ears have been planars and nothing in the IEM realm has nearly captured the same kind of magic for me. In some regards these do live up to my expectations, but the tuning is just not my cup of tea. I do appreciate the attempt to make a custom line that deviates from the very flat, often boring tuning of most other custom monitors but I don't think it really works for me. If anybody has suggestions for other custom options I should look into in a similar price range, I'm all ears.
Definitely understand where you're coming from. In my own impressions I made concern towards the V-Shape tuning, which you describe as a mid scoop. I would suggest trying the Supermoon out with a few different sources (you mention only using ADI-2 RME into a Topping A50), because I found it changes quite a bit depending on the source. Although some may be skeptical, I also found the sound change from their typical silver plated copper wire to an all copper one.

If you're looking for a non-neutral tuning, you could try out the Campfire Solstice? I found it a much more comfortable listen across all sources and much easier to run. It is also midcentric without having a recessed or flat bass or treble (which I felt for the 2020 Andromedas). Unfortunately all the other IEMs I have tried out in this category are neutral, which you mentioned finding a bit boring. You mentioned a lack of texture in the midrange and (from my own experience) a lot of CFA IEMs seem to lack that.

If you do change it up with the sources and/or wiring, I am curious about how your impressions may change.

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2022 at 3:38 AM Post #103 of 479
Alright so I've been comparing the Supermoon against a pair of the Solstice (no wait time on Solstice demos right now). I'll be sending the Supermoon back tomorrow so that other people get a chance to listen to them so I figured I'd write up my final thoughts now. Added a FiiO M11 Plus LTD to my listening line up. Slight compromise on staging compared to the ADI-2 in exchange for slightly tamer upper mids. Pretty subtle difference all things considered.

Comparing against the Solstice, you get a little bit more lateral staging (and sounds at the edge of that stage are much easier to distinguish across the spectrum). Surprisingly, not that much extra stage height (when pushed to high volumes you do get a little bit more height but not as much as I would've expected considering how impressed I was with the SM originally). In spite of the brighter treble, sense of "air" appears to be about the same, suggesting roll off is fairly comparable [London Symphony Orchestra, Mendelssohn "The Hebrides"]. Separation on the Supermoon is definitely better [Kimbra, "Good Intent", right side chimes][Phildel, "The Wolf", second verse vocal overdubs].
On the other hand, the warmer mids of the Supermoon give much more texture and body to most midrange instruments. Vocals are less shouty or bright [Three Days Grace, "Get Out Alive"] but also frequently present clearer in the mix [Arctic Monkeys, "Arabella", chorus]. Solstice is much more forgiving on poorly recorded rock and metal tracks as cymbals can get overwhelming quickly on the Supermoon [Skillet, "Whispers in the Dark"]. Edges are "softer" on the Solstice, which is a matter of preference (and also dependent on the track); I would say this is one regard where I would give the edge in realism to the Supermoon.

I've tried to compile a Pros/Cons table below with the standout differences between the two. Honestly they were closer than I would have expected. I definitely have a preference for the Solstice as more music is enjoyable on it and little music is outright unpleasant. I can't say I'm hugely impressed with the performance of either monitor at this price point, though, and while I can say I definitely won't be purchasing a pair of Supermoon customs, I am also not committed yet to a pair of Solstices either.

IEMPros Cons
SupermoonBetter lateral stage, slightly better vertical stage
More defined edges of individual instruments
Better bass separation
More bass presence, more bass impact
Superior upper-mid and treble detail
Sometimes shouty vocals
Bright treble does not play nice with some recordings
Bass detail actually not amazing
SolsticeBetter body and texture to midrange instruments
Less prone to shout
Treble never overwhelming
Superior midrange texture
Better detail in most of mid-range
Comparable bass detail
"Softer" edges
Weaker instrument separation
Tamer treble means less crispiness on cymbals and less definition on some instruments (violins, chimes)

Aug 4, 2022 at 9:46 AM Post #104 of 479
It's amazing how differently we can hear things sometimes. I've never heard anything close to shoutiness or strident treble on the Supermoon, and this is something I'm usually very sensitive to. Further, assuming Solstice (which I haven't heard) is essentially a custom Andromeda (which I have heard) then Supermoon is orders of magnitude superior in terms of technical performance and bass presence/timbre. To me Supermoon's standout feature is their resolution-- these are some of the most resolving IEMs on the market right now and combined with their coherence it presents arguably the most complete presentation I've ever encountered in an IEM, and I've heard most of what's out there on the market right now. They're don't pick up as much micro detail as something like the u12t but they (more than) make up for that with an abundant and engaging musicality. My only personal gripe with them is a dash of "planar glare" here and there but this is true about all planars I've been told, even high end full size planar headphones. The Supermoon shoots well above their price imho (relative to the market) and it's a real shame they won't be properly released as a universal.

Edit: May as well share this here. One of the members of our Canadian tour group purchased a custom Supermoon and had this to say:

"Thanks for the recommendation bud! I bought the custom audiophile fit. I do not have a Dap currently but I have never had music sound so amazing on my Samsung S8. Really stellar. Saw the complaint online regarding metallic midrange. Don't hear it. Sound very planar to me. Really excellent."

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2022 at 7:39 PM Post #105 of 479
I've had an opportunity to demo the supermoon (universal fit) for the past week now. I must say, for $1500 this is probably the best totl value deal I've had a chance to try - and not just from a price to performance perspective, but a technically proficient and excellent sounding iem overall. I can genuinely see this being an end game for those who doesn't mind it's timbre (it's quite "digital") and have a preference for a lesser pinna gain than the Harman target.

I haven't seen its frequency graph yet but the vocals are recessed to my hearing - leaning towards a darker tuning, but with a bright and accentuated treble. In tandem with the previous reviews, it is quite V-shaped and adds a hefty amount of excitement to whichever genre you listen to. This is probably the most enjoyable and exciting-sounding iem I've had a chance to try in recent times.

I can understand the hype that's built around it thanks to @Rockwell75 :)

I must say it's stock cable does not do justice as to how well the supermoon scales. To those who get a chance to demo, I highly encourage you to get it paired up with a better cable.

Now onto it's technical performance...
As I'm comparing it side-by-side with the Odin, supermoon exceeds Odin when it comes to detail retrieval, soundstage, and resolution. I remember the first time I was awe-struck by Odin's hyper-resolution. Supermoon takes it a notch further up with a 4k-like resolution with a more intimate, but grander soundstage that expands both in width and depth (height is comparable to Odin). Its depth alone really sold the impression of giving a holographic presentation that I haven't heard elsewhere. Imaging is a standout with a tad better layering than the Odin.

I'd say its biggest caveat (if you like its darker tuning with emphasized treble) is the timbre, as it has a bit of a digitized tone to everything it plays. I can imagine this being a substantial problem with those more accustomed to a natural-sounding hifi experience. The bass also lacks texture at the lower end, although it is quite fun with its substantially elevated db that provides punch and weight.

Now in as much as I've enjoyed this unit, I unfortunately won't be upgrading from my Odin mainly due to the tuning. I find the treble way too emphasized and forward that it appears quite sibilant to my ears (although other have had quite a different experience). I can't last longer than than an hour before it gets too fatiguing for my ear, in spite of having excellent ergonomics even for a universal fit (probably the best fitting uni I've tried).
The upper midrange is also quite recessed for my liking, as I do enjoy more forward vocals closer in line with the Harman target. The midrange also sound more flat compared to the Odin, which could be me just being spoiled by now honestly haha.
The timbre has also been questionable, which was a surprise as I'm usually not sensitive to timbre.

Overall, this demo trial has been a splendid experience and makes me even more curious about their upcoming planar + ba hybrid that I'm patiently waiting :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back