Campfire Audio New IEM release
Apr 29, 2022 at 7:40 PM Post #901 of 1,221
Looks like campfire wants to play with the big boys… hopefully their sound stack up.

I'm sure it will. IMHO their best IEMs are easily in a league with the best I've heard...and I've heard a lot.

Does anyone have any idea what the driver configs of these new IEMs are, or how they sound? I'm still hoping one of them is a uni version of the Supermoon.

Edit: The most expensive one is $3300...sad to say this only qualifies as a "medium sized boy" in this market where the most expensive IEMs now routinely top out at $4K, $5K, $6K and beyond.

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2022 at 8:33 PM Post #902 of 1,221
As an avid fan of campfire iems(have several in my collection) and even ordered a custom Supermoon, I'm not happy with these price hikes and highly underwhelmed with these early prototypes.

Apr 29, 2022 at 8:39 PM Post #903 of 1,221
As an avid fan of campfire iems(have several in my collection) and even ordered a custom Supermoon, I'm not happy with these price hikes and highly underwhelmed with these early prototypes.

They're simply keeping pace with the current market. When the Solaris came out it was half the price of the most expensive models at the time. The most expensive model here is quoted at being $3300 which is about half the price of the most expensive end of the market. It's a classic Campfire scenario to have people aghast at first at something or another. I was hoping for more info at the start but I'm going to wait until this pans out a bit more before casting judgement. At the very least from preliminary impressions so far the $1500 Supermoon seems like it's going to be a hell of an IEM. Regardless how everything else turns out I'm excited about that and may even make it my first custom.

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2022 at 9:58 PM Post #905 of 1,221
I'm sure it will. IMHO their best IEMs are easily in a league with the best I've heard...and I've heard a lot.

Does anyone have any idea what the driver configs of these new IEMs are, or how they sound? I'm still hoping one of them is a uni version of the Supermoon.

Edit: The most expensive one is $3300...sad to say this only qualifies as a "medium sized boy" in this market where the most expensive IEMs now routinely top out at $4K, $5K, $6K and beyond.
See @ExpatinJapan post on the prior page for some basic config info.
I’m looking forward to the “circle” if it is indeed a Solaris successor.

Apr 29, 2022 at 10:13 PM Post #906 of 1,221
I'm still hoping for one of these newer releases to be in a ceramic shell...

Same...if the uni Supermoon was in a ceramic shell...well that would indeed justify an IEM pushing $3K imho.

See @ExpatinJapan post on the prior page for some basic config info.
I’m looking forward to the “circle” if it is indeed a Solaris successor.

I had my heart set on a Solaris successor too...until they announced the Supermoon. That totally threw me for a loop. I've been hoping for a higher tier planar IEM ever since I heard the Timeless-- I never imagined CFA would be the ones to do it and I'm very enticed by the thought of what they could come up with. Looking forward to more info on all of these IEMs.

Apr 30, 2022 at 7:32 PM Post #907 of 1,221
Back on the pricing

I have not heard back from my email to Campfire Audio (Ken) yet. Maybe traveling Japan or battling through all the various requirements of air travel during covid.

—————————————————-

So thinking out loud:

As an erlier twitter post i posted said ‘two configurations: two are shape related and two private’ to paraphrase

I related some of the information i could communicate in my earlier post with basic show impressions.
Andro and Solaris and X and X.

———————————————-
Here is a Yahoo post from a well known Japan audio media:

https://news.yahoo.co.jp/articles/41add4738e97c92157e9830426523c33e2be2d76

Google translated and screenshot

B6878918-4817-4423-A674-400F0F5229C3.jpeg3C57120B-5BF4-41CA-AD5D-57A536625521.jpeg

I am presuming they checked the prices and talked with CA about it (i did not - just listening and general conversation and tech talk).

This is also similar to what others posted earlier:
www.campfireaudio.jp

Blue Triangle - MSRP $3375
Yellow Diamond - MSRP $2250
Green Square - MSRP $1450
Sand Circle - MSRP $2670

(Supermoon via CA website is US$1500).

The prices are a bit different from the past:
Square: improved Andromeda? Stays about the same
Sand Circle: improved Solaris- goes up a bit.
Yellow diamond: planar ba (ba/bas?). hybrid. Up in price frim the planar only Supermoon.
Blue triangle:

Regular browser and Google(translate on)

4F27EA27-48F2-481E-815B-0AD931445E2B.jpegCFBC6CB5-11E3-4A40-9903-280E144FE50C.jpeg

Entering the US$ amount on a currency convertor website yields about the same price.

Seems to balance out about right ($/¥) using the Square as an example.

Going by Occums razor that getting both amounts wrong in $US/$JPN is unlikely if manually entered.

So i am now riding the train that these are probably possibly the correct $¥ amounts. But i also am prepared to be wrong and corrected when an email comes in.

————————————-

More on Twitter is coming up if you search ‘campfire audio’ and set setting to ‘latest’.

85D15E84-9A34-4461-9537-B1EF82B3F36E.jpeg

For me i liked Square, Circle and Triangle. (Andro+, Solaris+ and Atlas/Vega +++ ?)…Then the Diamond.

Triangle needs a bit more tuning.

I also enjoyed the Supermoon. But as its a custom i am mostly sticking to talking about universals.

(I listened with DX300/amp11mk2 and used CA foam tips).

Also it looks like a type of ribbon cable this time around which is interesting. I saw variations.

And onwards - any other shows coming up for more impressions? Or someone lived in Portland and can drop by CA offices for a listen?

———————————-

My earlier impressions posts of the early beta demo models at the fujiya avic headphone show in Tokyo

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/campfire-audio-new-iem-release.932244/page-60#post-16940046

Attachments

• D7772780-7915-4226-ABB5-94E9229422B4.jpeg
    D7772780-7915-4226-ABB5-94E9229422B4.jpeg
    65.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Apr 30, 2022 at 7:57 PM Post #908 of 1,221
Back on the pricing

I have not heard back from my email to Campfire Audio (Ken) yet. Maybe traveling Japan or battling through all the various requirements of air travel during covid.

—————————————————-

So thinking out loud:

As an erlier twitter post i posted said ‘two configurations: two are shape related and two private’ to paraphrase

I related some of the information i could communicate in my earlier post with basic show impressions.
Andro and Solaris and X and X.

———————————————-
Here is a Yahoo post from a well known Japan audio media:

https://news.yahoo.co.jp/articles/41add4738e97c92157e9830426523c33e2be2d76

Google translated and screenshot

I am presuming they checked the prices and talked with CA about it (i did not - just listening and general conversation and tech talk).

This is also similar to what others posted earlier:
www.campfireaudio.jp

Blue Triangle - MSRP $3375
Yellow Diamond - MSRP $2250
Green Square - MSRP $1450
Sand Circle - MSRP $2670

(Supermoon via CA website is US$1500).

The prices are a bit different from the past:
Square: improved Andromeda? Stays about the same
Sand Circle: improved Solaris- goes up a bit.
Yellow diamond: planar ba (ba/bas?). hybrid. Up in price frim the planar only Supermoon.
Blue triangle:

Regular browser and Google(translate on)

Entering the US$ amount on a currency convertor website yields about the same price.

Seems to balance out about right ($/¥) using the Square as an example.

Going by Occums razor that getting both amounts wrong in $US/$JPN is unlikely if manually entered.

So i am now riding the train that these are probably possibly the correct $¥ amounts. But i also am prepared to be wrong and corrected when an email comes in.

————————————-

More on Twitter is coming up if you search ‘campfire audio’ and set setting to ‘latest’.

For me i liked Square, Circle and Triangle. (Andro+, Solaris+ and Atlas/Vega +++ ?)…Then the Diamond.

Triangle needs a bit more tuning.

I also enjoyed the Supermoon. But as its a custom i am mostly sticking to talking about universals.

(I listened with DX300/amp11mk2 and used CA foam tips).

Also it looks like a type of ribbon cable this time around which is interesting. I saw variations.

And onwards - any other shows coming up for more impressions? Or someone lived in Portland and can drop by CA offices for a listen?

Very interesting updates. Thanks for sharing and translating.

As Campfire looks like they aren't attending CanJams. anymore, not sure when the US folks will be able to demo.

Those who live in/near Portland are very lucky!

Apr 30, 2022 at 9:26 PM Post #909 of 1,221
Very interesting updates. Thanks for sharing and translating.

As Campfire looks like they aren't attending CanJams. anymore, not sure when the US folks will be able to demo.

Those who live in/near Portland are very lucky!

Thank Google chrome translate :wink:

Yes, early days with the beta shells (they were comfortable and seemed a good in between size between the traditional Andro size and the smaller recent satsuma/honeydew size).

Stainless steel, clear, anodized aluminum and ? are meant to be the final shell type designs.

Also the nozzles were a good length, a bit longer on the Triangle model if i recall correctly. Less width than trad andro nozzle and more like mammoth?/andro gold style.

Yeah, if someone lives in the area they could email Campfire and request a listening session - probably better than just dropping in.

Give the rest of us more to read :)

———————————

Edit: going by Campfires Ken instagram he was up late out and about in Shinjuku Tokyo having some fun and food.

So probably no email for a while. Sleep timezzzz

Last edited:
May 3, 2022 at 2:20 PM Post #910 of 1,221
Thank Google chrome translate :wink:

Yes, early days with the beta shells (they were comfortable and seemed a good in between size between the traditional Andro size and the smaller recent satsuma/honeydew size).

Stainless steel, clear, anodized aluminum and ? are meant to be the final shell type designs.

Also the nozzles were a good length, a bit longer on the Triangle model if i recall correctly. Less width than trad andro nozzle and more like mammoth?/andro gold style.

Yeah, if someone lives in the area they could email Campfire and request a listening session - probably better than just dropping in.

Give the rest of us more to read :)

———————————

Edit: going by Campfires Ken instagram he was up late out and about in Shinjuku Tokyo having some fun and food.

So probably no email for a while. Sleep timezzzz

More Stainless Steel finishes from Campfire would be most welcome. The Andromeda S is a personal favorite!

May 13, 2022 at 6:53 PM Post #911 of 1,221
Campfire Audio and Askell & Kern collaboration

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/ast...-new-products-at-high-end-munich-2022.963348/
—————————————

AK PATHFINDER IEM (July 2022 - $1,899)

Pathfinder_email.jpg

The AK PATHFINDER becomes the second collaboration with IEM manufacturer Campfire Audio to produce in-ear monitors (IEMs) under the Astell&Kern brand. Pathfinder is a newly designed hybrid IEM not based on previous Campfire IEM.

PATHFINDER has a new Dual-Chamber Balanced Armature (BA) Driver from Knowles for the key part of the midrange, two BA drivers for high frequencies, as well as two dynamic drivers with a hybrid diaphragm that create bass and midrange.

Knowles’ new ‘Dual Chamber’ Balanced Armature Driver, used for the first time ever in PATHFINDER, is an innovative driver in which a single coil operates two individual diaphragms. It’s like a twin cylinder engine – delivering more horsepower and smoother operation compared to one with a single, larger piston.

Compared to a traditional BA with a single, larger diaphragm, the all-new design incorporates two chambers, each housing its own diaphragm and drive rod actuated by a single coil, resulting in a higher, more powerful output for its size than any other BA and is excellent at expressing a warmer and more natural midrange.

A Radial Venting Acoustic Chamber, newly developed by Campfire Audio, is applied to Dual Custom 10mm Dynamic Drivers. The 3D-printed chamber design naturally expresses the intense low-frequency sound produced by the two dynamic drivers while preserving the unique sound of the BA driver.

Beryllium Copper MMCX connectors are more resilient against wear and tear than regular brass connectors, providing a robust mating mechanism; one that is typically made from soft brass. This selection of a harder material extends the life of the component and the earphone.

PATHFINDER comes with three silver-plated copper cables (terminated in 3.5mm, 2.5mm and 4.4mm headphone jacks) allowing the earphones to reach their full performance potential. The silver-plated OFC copper Litz cable is a newly produced flat cable, with enameled silver-plated copper wire conductor to offer clearer, extended sounds. The flat cable prevents tangling, can be wound for easy storage, and has minimal cable distortion. It is over-molded for increased durability and finished with a metal housing.

Pathfinder2_email.jpg

In addition to the three cables, AK PATHFINDER includes five (5) pairs of Final Audio E-Type Tips (XS/S/M/L/XL), three (3) pairs of Campfire Audio Marshmallow Earphone Tips (S/M/L), three (3) pairs of Silicon Earphone Tips (S/M/L), Earphone Cleaning Tool, Leather Zipper Case, Earphone Protection Sleeve and Earphone Tips and Cable Storage Pouch. All IEMSs are handcrafted in Portland, Oregon by Campfire Audio.

AK PATHFINDER will be available in July 2022 at Astell&Kern dealers in the US and Canada for $1,899.

Last edited:
May 14, 2022 at 2:36 PM Post #912 of 1,221
Campfire Audio and Askell & Kern collaboration

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/ast...-new-products-at-high-end-munich-2022.963348/
—————————————

AK PATHFINDER IEM (July 2022 - $1,899)

Pathfinder_email.jpg

The AK PATHFINDER becomes the second collaboration with IEM manufacturer Campfire Audio to produce in-ear monitors (IEMs) under the Astell&Kern brand. Pathfinder is a newly designed hybrid IEM not based on previous Campfire IEM.

PATHFINDER has a new Dual-Chamber Balanced Armature (BA) Driver from Knowles for the key part of the midrange, two BA drivers for high frequencies, as well as two dynamic drivers with a hybrid diaphragm that create bass and midrange.

Knowles’ new ‘Dual Chamber’ Balanced Armature Driver, used for the first time ever in PATHFINDER, is an innovative driver in which a single coil operates two individual diaphragms. It’s like a twin cylinder engine – delivering more horsepower and smoother operation compared to one with a single, larger piston.

Compared to a traditional BA with a single, larger diaphragm, the all-new design incorporates two chambers, each housing its own diaphragm and drive rod actuated by a single coil, resulting in a higher, more powerful output for its size than any other BA and is excellent at expressing a warmer and more natural midrange.

A Radial Venting Acoustic Chamber, newly developed by Campfire Audio, is applied to Dual Custom 10mm Dynamic Drivers. The 3D-printed chamber design naturally expresses the intense low-frequency sound produced by the two dynamic drivers while preserving the unique sound of the BA driver.

Beryllium Copper MMCX connectors are more resilient against wear and tear than regular brass connectors, providing a robust mating mechanism; one that is typically made from soft brass. This selection of a harder material extends the life of the component and the earphone.

PATHFINDER comes with three silver-plated copper cables (terminated in 3.5mm, 2.5mm and 4.4mm headphone jacks) allowing the earphones to reach their full performance potential. The silver-plated OFC copper Litz cable is a newly produced flat cable, with enameled silver-plated copper wire conductor to offer clearer, extended sounds. The flat cable prevents tangling, can be wound for easy storage, and has minimal cable distortion. It is over-molded for increased durability and finished with a metal housing.

Pathfinder2_email.jpg

In addition to the three cables, AK PATHFINDER includes five (5) pairs of Final Audio E-Type Tips (XS/S/M/L/XL), three (3) pairs of Campfire Audio Marshmallow Earphone Tips (S/M/L), three (3) pairs of Silicon Earphone Tips (S/M/L), Earphone Cleaning Tool, Leather Zipper Case, Earphone Protection Sleeve and Earphone Tips and Cable Storage Pouch. All IEMSs are handcrafted in Portland, Oregon by Campfire Audio.

AK PATHFINDER will be available in July 2022 at Astell&Kern dealers in the US and Canada for $1,899.

Oh wow! I'd seen a screenshot of this announcement, but totally missed the fact that it had DUAL DD's :D
I'm getting Empire Ears Legend X/Evo vibes here; hope we're looking at a similarly hardcore bass. But that's probably just me lol.

So I'm assuming this a wholly separate release to the 4 new 'Shapes' models you posted about previously?
I know one of them had a 'Solaris' shape, but I'm guessing they'll be making their own Solaris 2022 model (hopefully also with twin DD's on each side) :D

If so, this means you have this A&K collaboration, plus the Supermoon, plus the 4 new 'Shapes' models..
Campfire being like buses recently; you wait for ages, then a whole load of them come along at once :D

May 14, 2022 at 2:42 PM Post #913 of 1,221
So I'm assuming this a wholly separate release to the 4 new 'Shapes' models you posted about previously?

If it's like that Solaris X that came out previously this will be primarily an AK release that CFA contributed to and not a CFA release in and of itself...so yeah distinct from the impending 4 shapes releases.

Last edited:
May 14, 2022 at 6:35 PM Post #914 of 1,221
Oh wow! I'd seen a screenshot of this announcement, but totally missed the fact that it had DUAL DD's :D
I'm getting Empire Ears Legend X/Evo vibes here; hope we're looking at a similarly hardcore bass. But that's probably just me lol.

I know one of them had a 'Solaris' shape, but I'm guessing they'll be making their own Solaris 2022 model (hopefully also with twin DD's on each side) :D

If so, this means you have this A&K collaboration, plus the Supermoon, plus the 4 new 'Shapes' models..
Campfire being like buses recently; you wait for ages, then a whole load of them come along at once :D

Yeah the DD thing, …and BA thing ++

So yes that makes 6….or +?
(But whether it is different from the upcoming Solaris like model - i dont know.).

Ken and co didnt mention this (AK collab) when i chatted to them at the show if i recall correctly. Makes sense they have a business connection and the ball is probably in AKs court as to when to make an announcement

The AK post gives a bit more info about where the new models are headed. But not detail exact.

Interesting it comes with three cables also. - which echoes back to the earlier original Jupiter package (two Tinsel cables).

46DE2E96-5996-49ED-8D0D-A338AB4FC2FB.jpeg

Aluminum and Stainless Steel (or Stell) i read here:
https://www.phileweb.com/news/d-av/202205/13/55407.html

52D4AC70-C624-4D29-9692-CA4D682F739E.jpeg

Me…i am still waiting for the Solaris Solar or Andro Solar (2020? Memeh) lol
Solar powered! :)

AEB007D5-5E84-4D00-BEEA-F30DA1FE4C02.png

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back