Campfire Audio New IEM release
May 27, 2020 at 5:59 PM Post #466 of 1,221
I already posted this in the Solaris thread - posting here in the main thread as not every one will frequent both threads.
Its a quick look and not as in depth testing as i would prefer. But people want impressions,
‘Nao!’. :)

I will probably do the Andromeda 2020 next.

2F026869-4F54-416D-81D9-D0ABBAAC6E8C.jpeg

Solaris 2020 quick look (notes)

iBasso DX220 to CEntrance Hifi-m8 V2 via BT.
3.5mm Splitter to Solaris 2020 and Solaris Gold OG.
Final Audio tips.
Default basic settings on the Hifi-m8 v2
Music on shuffle.
Not volume matched (much) - though same splitter shared.
Solaris 2020 has around 100 hours on it.
Solaris Gold has well over 500 hours.

Solaris 2020
Fit: excellent.
Nice body to the music. Emotional.
Ethereal.
Bass seems to hit deeper at first - but it is more that the mids have come more into play. Vocals are nicely centered.
a sense of space between instruments, detailed with no edge. Good imaging.
Timbre is better than the Gold.
Smoother and natural but not lacking in detail.
Comes across as more full bodied. Satisfying. Treble is gentle, yet not diminished.
Fairly balanced and even. Coherent.

Solaris Gold OG
Fit: Dependent on user. Case by case. Insertion depth may result in a different user experience.
low end present and hits pretty much the same as 2020 -
But it is more dynamic with the Gold.
upper mids not so prominent.
Soundstage is wide. Vocals just above but within the music.
Can notice the soft u to small w shape compared to the more linear S2020.

I swapped to the iBasso DX200 using the fairly (dull?) reference amp 1.

the results are similar

2020 more warm, linear and natural
Solaris OG more v/w, dynamic, but less rich and lacking a certain weight.

the differences are incremental and subtle - but as those fortunate to have tried the SE (not me) noticeable.

the Solaris 2020 is more pleasurable for me. Fit of course for my pixie ‘earlets’
I also enjoy the richer warmer linear signature

i would have liked to have swapped each Superlitz over and also paired them both with standard smokey litz to see what else i could discover.

*plus my daughter would listen here and there and being me food and put princess tiaras on my head...

*Fun fact - my kids were watching Star Wars III (140minutes).

B5A086A8-434F-4839-8276-E66128817757.jpeg

May 27, 2020 at 7:25 PM Post #467 of 1,221
You know what is dead quiet and only costs 10 bucks? UAPP! At least on my Samsung Galaxy S8, the Andromeda became dead silent and I never felt it was missing anything in terms of sound quality. Before you splurge on additional gear, see if you're happy with what your (gasp!) phone can give you.
Oh man, I wish that was true. For a variety of other reasons, I have an iPhone, so I lack a headphone jack and the customization things like UAPP can offer. I'm quite happy with the EarStudio BT dongle I have for it when I'm on the go (and usually in noisy environments), but it's not as satisfying of a hi-fi experience when I'm not bustling about and instead back in a hotel room after a long day on the road.

Your point is well taken though. Perhaps the dongle life with an IEMatch is a cheaper (if not less elegant) way to kill the hiss for that scenario.

May 27, 2020 at 11:03 PM Post #468 of 1,221
*plus my daughter would listen here and there and being me food and put princess tiaras on my head...

Picture proof, or it never happened :D

May 27, 2020 at 11:56 PM Post #469 of 1,221
Back to the topic at hand — any more Ara first impressions?

Not meaning to offend anyone, but I suspect we won’t see any unbiased reviews on the Ara until after CA begins shipping on June 18. Anyone that received an early review pair would likely hurt their relationship with CA if that made any negative comments about the product.

Heck, even then it’d be helpful if there were more detailed reviews available now, even if biased. It might drive more people to take a chance on the Ara.

May 28, 2020 at 12:08 AM Post #470 of 1,221
Well its hard to know exactly what you (and some others) want at times...?

600D2198-2C0F-459C-A811-D0D38D9A8C64.jpeg

472B5AF8-48E5-4405-B1C4-B12E85CB460A.jpeg

F64CCE8E-728F-40DE-BF13-38A241E76630.jpeg

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::v:

Edit: Many of the so called ‘reviewers’ are just enthusiasts like myself that for years wrote impressions in threads of gear we bought ourselves (before there was an actual review section on head-fi). Companies of course will logically send samples to people who have a track record of writing.
- 99% are unpaid (bUt SaMplEs!).
- most companies welcome honest feedback -
- Readers do not bother with enthusiasts/reviewers whose impressions do not match their experience, either first or secondhand - whether accurate or especially seemingly erroneous.
- not many who purchase will write impressions - just the keen enthusiasts ( buyers, shop/show listeners, ‘reviewers’ etc) contributing to the community their findings and time.

- So read and enjoy many impressions and take a general summary of their matching and differing points. The truth lies somewhere in between.

:)

Last edited:
May 28, 2020 at 3:14 AM Post #471 of 1,221
Oh man, I wish that was true. For a variety of other reasons, I have an iPhone, so I lack a headphone jack and the customization things like UAPP can offer. I'm quite happy with the EarStudio BT dongle I have for it when I'm on the go (and usually in noisy environments), but it's not as satisfying of a hi-fi experience when I'm not bustling about and instead back in a hotel room after a long day on the road.

Your point is well taken though. Perhaps the dongle life with an IEMatch is a cheaper (if not less elegant) way to kill the hiss for that scenario.
The iPhone dongle is a decent dac/amp for IEMs. It’s measures really well and provides more than enough quality especially for on the road.
Ps: I use my iPhone dongle to connect to my shure KSE1200 and it sounds amazing.
I’m loitering on this thread because I am interested in either the 2020 Solaris or IER-Z1R. ive got the IEM bug again.

Last edited:
May 28, 2020 at 5:18 AM Post #472 of 1,221
Well its hard to know exactly what you (and some others) want at times...?

600D2198-2C0F-459C-A811-D0D38D9A8C64.jpeg

472B5AF8-48E5-4405-B1C4-B12E85CB460A.jpeg

F64CCE8E-728F-40DE-BF13-38A241E76630.jpeg

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::v:

Edit: Many of the so called ‘reviewers’ are just enthusiasts like myself that for years wrote impressions in threads of gear we bought ourselves (before there was an actual review section on head-fi). Companies of course will logically send samples to people who have a track record of writing.
- 99% are unpaid (bUt SaMplEs!).
- most companies welcome honest feedback -
- Readers do not bother with enthusiasts/reviewers whose impressions do not match their experience, either first or secondhand - whether accurate or especially seemingly erroneous.
- not many who purchase will write impressions - just the keen enthusiasts ( buyers, shop/show listeners, ‘reviewers’ etc) contributing to the community their findings and time.

- So read and enjoy many impressions and take a general summary of their matching and differing points. The truth lies somewhere in between.

:)
No need to take offense, I don't think that he meant your effort is pointless. Reviewer impressions are very interesting and entertaining to read, but maybe should't be used to form a buying decision, that's all.

May 28, 2020 at 6:55 AM Post #473 of 1,221
I’m loitering on this thread because I am interested in either the 2020 Solaris or IER-Z1R. ive got the IEM bug again.
Mmm...
20190704_143838.jpg

May 28, 2020 at 7:00 AM Post #474 of 1,221
No need to take offense, I don't think that he meant your effort is pointless. Reviewer impressions are very interesting and entertaining to read, but maybe should't be used to form a buying decision, that's all.

No offense taken.

Simply replying to the post.

my apologies if you found my reply offensive. That was not my intent.

Regards
Expat.

Last edited:
May 28, 2020 at 2:07 PM Post #475 of 1,221
Can't wait to test the Ara and 2020 variants of the Solaris & Andromeda soon once the samples are shipped out. At the moment, my favourite Campfire IEM is still the MW10 which is the best in my opinion. Quite curious how the Ara will stack up against the MW10 and SE: Gold in particular. Will give my impressions once I can compare them. :)

11077620 (1).jpg

Last edited:
May 28, 2020 at 3:57 PM Post #476 of 1,221
There's a certain well known "other place" with some very detailed measurements/impressions of the Ara for anyone interested.

May 28, 2020 at 4:02 PM Post #477 of 1,221
There's a certain well known "other place" with some very detailed measurements/impressions of the Ara for anyone interested.
Yes. Really valuable

May 28, 2020 at 4:19 PM Post #479 of 1,221

Users who are viewing this thread

Back