Campfire Audio - Introducing 2 new models Hello Andromeda and Nova
Aug 21, 2019 at 3:01 PM Post #7,729 of 9,829
Interesting first input, thanks.

How's that bass compared to the Atlas?

PS For what I see in your list, you won't have (or will have less) hiss with you Sony ZX-300 (actually less than with the WM1A).

Recently I've seemed to prefer my ZX-300 over my WM1A for some reason. Maybe that's just me. No, I think it's just my head acting up after listening to the SP1000 with my Atlas' at the time. I loved them so much.

Anyway, I'm trying to get some listening time a/bing with the Andromeda SE's and the Solaris. I think I'll do my comparisons with the Atlas tomorrow. From what I remember with my year-long time with the Atlas, the Andromeda SE sounds fuller to me in most of the songs I've listened to. For me, there always seemed to be a hollow spot/dip at the mid-high range on the Atlas for me, which was my only gripe with it. The Andromeda SEs are a really big surprise for me.

I'm getting information slowly but, the separation is great. I'd say the soundstage is on par with the Atlas. Maybe it's because I've yet to find a really good fit for my Solaris, but there's a bunch of detail in the Andromeda SE that I thought the Solaris would also pick up on.

The bass on the Andromeda SEs are very much different from what I had imagined with them. The bass extends longer and has a very nice and very slight reverb (I can't find a good term for it) that reminds me a little bit of the bass on the Solaris, rather than the Atlas. While the Atlas has a very dynamic and energetic bass, the Andromeda SEs sound more analytical (as how it normally sounds) but has more "fun" to it. It is "juicier" and I'm starting to like it a lot, which I'm surprised myself since I've long used DD / Hybrid IEMs. Its bass doesn't cut short, but (like I said) extends quite a bit. While I don't have the best experience and memory when it comes to IEMs, I think this is an IEM with very much sufficient bass that won't dry out any listening session.

I agree with the Solaris being a hard fit - I'm still having troubles with it and my Final White Type E tips seem to give me the best seal without my Solaris protruding out and giving the impression that it's going to fall off. Like with my Atlas, I've been using the Spiral Dots++ with the Andromeda SE and I find them to be amazing. I don't really feel like changing to other tips I have but I'll try them the afternoon tomorrow. So far I can try the common ones, like Symbio Ws, Final Es, Complys and more.

(I've been testing all 3 IEMs mentioned with my Hugo 2 linked to my desktop.)

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2019 at 3:13 PM Post #7,730 of 9,829
I’d be interested to know just how good the bass is... I’m a basshead, and I love my Vegas, and the sheer compact size of them... but always open to the idea of getting Andromedas.

Having owning both, I think the Andromeda SEs wouldn't be too much of a "downgrade" in bass - I think it's very healthy for it and doesn't overpower any of the mids or highs. However, if you're looking for stronger bass then maybe this isn't it.

Although I'd say that I think you'd like them after you had a listen to it. It's surprisingly good for BA. (I can't say the same for the OG Andromeda since I don't own them)

Aug 21, 2019 at 3:21 PM Post #7,731 of 9,829
Recently I've seemed to prefer my ZX-300 over my WM1A for some reason. Maybe that's just me. No, I think it's just my head acting up after listening to the SP1000 with my Atlas' at the time. I loved them so much.

Anyway, I'm trying to get some listening time a/bing with the Andromeda SE's and the Solaris. I think I'll do my comparisons with the Atlas tomorrow. From what I remember with my year-long time with the Atlas, the Andromeda SE sounds fuller to me in most of the songs I've listened to. For me, there always seemed to be a hollow spot/dip at the mid-high range on the Atlas for me, which was my only gripe with it. The Andromeda SEs are a really big surprise for me.

I'm getting information slowly but, the separation is great. I'd say the soundstage is on par with the Atlas. Maybe it's because I've yet to find a really good fit for my Solaris, but there's a bunch of detail in the Andromeda SE that I thought the Solaris would also pick up on.

The bass on the Andromeda SEs are very much different from what I had imagined with them. The bass extends longer and has a very nice and very slight reverb (I can't find a good term for it) that reminds me a little bit of the bass on the Solaris, rather than the Atlas. While the Atlas has a very dynamic and energetic bass, the Andromeda SEs sound more analytical (as how it normally sounds) but has more "fun" to it. It is "juicier" and I'm starting to like it a lot, which I'm surprised myself since I've long used DD / Hybrid IEMs. Its bass doesn't cut short, but (like I said) extends quite a bit. While I don't have the best experience and memory when it comes to IEMs, I think this is an IEM with very much sufficient bass that won't dry out any listening session.

I agree with the Solaris being a hard fit - I'm still having troubles with it and my Final White Type E tips seem to give me the best seal without my Solaris protruding out and giving the impression that it's going to fall off. Like with my Atlas, I've been using the Spiral Dots++ with the Andromeda SE and I find them to be amazing. I don't really feel like changing to other tips I have but I'll try them the afternoon tomorrow. So far I can try the common ones, like Symbio Ws, Final Es, Complys and more.

(I've been testing all 3 IEMs mentioned with my Hugo 2 linked to my desktop.)

Having owning both, I think the Andromeda SEs wouldn't be too much of a "downgrade" in bass - I think it's very healthy for it and doesn't overpower any of the mids or highs. However, if you're looking for stronger bass then maybe this isn't it.

Although I'd say that I think you'd like them after you had a listen to it. It's surprisingly good for BA. (I can't say the same for the OG Andromeda since I don't own them)

Argh… @robulation so you're like me: waiting to get as much information re: that bass before the limited edition runs out :p ?

Aug 21, 2019 at 3:25 PM Post #7,733 of 9,829
Ha, abso-frickin-lutely! I’m so desperate to give in and get these though...

“The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it. Resist it, and your soul grows sick with longing for the things it has forbidden to itself, with desire for what its monstrous laws have made monstrous and unlawful.” ― Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray

Aug 21, 2019 at 3:30 PM Post #7,734 of 9,829
“The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it. Resist it, and your soul grows sick with longing for the things it has forbidden to itself, with desire for what its monstrous laws have made monstrous and unlawful.” ― Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray

I wonder if Dorian had to wrestle with his ridiculous urges to buy earphones that costs more than a monthly mortgage repayment ...

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2019 at 3:34 PM Post #7,736 of 9,829
Argh… @robulation so you're like me: waiting to get as much information re: that bass before the limited edition runs out :p ?

Excuse me for my poor use of proper impressions that I can give, but what I mean was that the bass on the OG Andros as I remembered was quick and crisp. Not to say it was bad or anything, but I thought that was what BA bass was. Crisp.

Ever since I got to experience DD / Hybrids IEMs, I found the majority of their bass to be more persisting. I guess that's to be expected from them, but I ended up preferring them over BA IEMs.

These Andromeda SEs just sound much more fuller than I expected.

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2019 at 3:50 PM Post #7,740 of 9,829
I wonder if Dorian had to wrestle with his ridiculous urges to buy earphones that costs more than a monthly mortgage repayment ...
I wish my mortgage was that small. But then my mortgage also includes my school taxes which are ridiculous :disappointed:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back