Campfire Audio - Introducing 2 new models Hello Andromeda and Nova
Nov 12, 2018 at 11:22 PM Post #6,198 of 9,829
Much appreciate your input, think I’m pretty close to talking myself into taking the plunge
Ditto. No discomfort level with my Andromeda S. I’ve won it for 5 hours straight with no problem.

Nov 13, 2018 at 6:09 AM Post #6,199 of 9,829
xwS9D9g.jpg

Quick Comparison between Original Andromeda & Andromeda S

Now for some actual contribution... I managed to get a hold of an Andromeda S from a friend to compare with my original Andromeda. I did a bit of reading prior through this thread and found very mixed opinions on which tuning they preferred. Curious to get to the bottom of the dilemma, I did about a day's listening and drew some conclusions.

I found the original Andromeda more comfortable, the stainless version is noticeably heavier and puts more pressure on my outer ear.

My verdict is that neither the original Andromeda nor the Andromeda S is 'superior' to the other. It is, as usual, preference. Differences are SLIGHT -- if you didn't like OG Andromeda, you probably won't like Andromeda S.

The Andromeda S has a slightly more forward midrange, mainly in the midsection of vocals. I find it results in a more immediately apparent texturing, but also tends to sound a tad bit more intimate in presentation. The original Andromeda has a more laid-back upper midrange. Vocals aren't as upfront, they sound further away in the mix. However on a good note, the original Andromeda's presentation is noticeably more spacious and 'large' sounding (this is part of the magic that Andromeda became famous for).

In terms of treble, it seems like a very close call. The original Andromeda's treble sounds a bit more delicate and fleeting, with a beautiful sparkly presentation. The Andromeda S, in my opinion, does retain the signature sparkle Andromeda is known for -- however, I find that due to the more forward midrange and slightly more intimate staging, it loses a touch of its smooth, shimmering 'silkiness'.

I say it's all relative: there's no actual change to the treble directly, but the modification to the neighboring upper midrange shifts my perception of the treble. There's no way I can afford to keep both of them (nor would I want to, since they're so close to each other), though I am torn between the slight sonic nuances between the two. It comes down to whether you prioritize vocal texturing (Andromeda S), or a slightly more spacious staging with magical treble (original Andromeda).

#1 You make me want to dust off my camera and take some pictures. Very nice photos! Could you post more closeups of the B&W Andro?

#2 Your analysis expresses exactly my own impressions. I've had the Green for a couple of months before getting the S. The main attraction for me was the look and feel, not the sound - in fact, I was hoping that I wouldn't notice any change in sound.

I like the green color, but the finishing on the aluminum shell is not the best in my opinion and it's been a bit of an eye sore for me. The S is finished better, still not absolutely perfectly as some areas are overpolished, but it's better than the Green for sure.

The lower heat conductivity of the steel shell also helps to delay the buildup of water droplets on the nozzle, but it's also heavier, which becomes apparent if you wear it without the memory wire cable. Still, this has not been a serious issue for me since I was able to run to the train station with the S in my ears without any memory wire support (had the silver Atlas cable on at the time) and they didn't fall out.

In terms of sound, what you pointed out is what I immediately noticed as well: closer and more centered (and even a bit more put together/coherent) presentation of the mid to upper midrange frequencies (vocals, but also electric guitars) with a generally narrower soundstage feel. After debating with myself I decided that the clarity and presence of vocals and guitars was a positive for me, but the smaller apparent soundstage was a clear negative.

After listening to the S for the last couple of months or so, switching back to the Green doesn't feel as different as it did in the beginning (probably because my brain is now used to the S and the Green is such a natural sounding headphone that it's always easy to transition to it from any other headphone). I find now that the difference in soundstage isn't as impactful for me anymore and that I've come to miss some of the midrange emphasis from the S. BTW, I played with the EQ a bit, trying to match the FR curve of the Green on my S and was surprised to hear that the mids had moved back and spread out, giving me that familiar Green sound. It's not a perfect match, of course, but it does sound close to my ears.

So in the end I'm content with keeping the S and letting go of the Green. Having said that, I would echo your conclusion that it's a matter of personal preference and even then, it's difficult to decide between the two based on sound alone.

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2018 at 6:38 AM Post #6,200 of 9,829
#1 You make me want to dust off my camera and take some pictures. Very nice photos! Could you post more closeups of the B&W Andro?

#2 Your analysis expresses exactly my own impressions. I've had the Green for a couple of months before getting the S. The main attraction for me was the look and feel, not the sound - in fact, I was hoping that I wouldn't notice any change in sound.
I like the green color, but the finishing on the aluminum shell is not the best in my opinion and it's been a bit of an eye sore for me. The S is finished better, still not absolutely perfectly as some areas are overpolished, but it's better than the Green for sure.
The lower heat conductivity of the steel shell also helps to delay the buildup of water droplets on the nozzle, but it's also heavier, which becomes apparent if you wear it without the memory wire cable. Still, this has not been a serious issue for me since I was able to run to the train station with the S in my ears without any memory wire support (had the silver Atlas cable on at the time) and they didn't fall out.
In terms of sound, what you pointed out is what I immediately noticed as well: closer and more centered (and even a bit more put together/coherent) presentation of the mid to upper midrange frequencies (vocals, but also electric guitars) with a generally narrower soundstage feel. After debating with myself I decided that the clarity and presence of vocals and guitars was a positive for me, but the smaller apparent soundstage was a clear negative.
After listening to the S for the last couple of months or so, switching back to the Green doesn't feel as different as it did in the beginning (probably because my brain is now used to the S and the Green is such a natural sounding headphone that it's always easy to transition to it from any other headphone). I find now that the difference in soundstage isn't as impactful for me anymore and that I've come to miss some of the midrange emphasis from the S. BTW, I played a bit with the EQ a bit, trying to match the FR curve of the Green on my S and was surprised to hear that the mids had moved back and spread out, giving me that familiar Green sound. It's not a perfect match, of course, but it does sound close to my ears.

So in the end I'm content with keeping the S and letting go of the Green. Having said that, I would echo your conclusion that it's a matter of personal preference and even then, it's difficult to decide between the two based on sound alone.

Very interesting... could you maybe share your attempt at EQ to replicate the green Andro on the S? I'd be interested to give it a try :)

Nov 13, 2018 at 2:40 PM Post #6,201 of 9,829
I got my pair of Andromeda S today in the mail from a fellow forum user. Have them plugged into my SE100 with the Litz 3.5mm cable. So far I have been thoroughly impressed with the sound of the Andromeda S. Using the SE100 I have been able to disable the EQ so far. Mark Knopfler's Les Paul sounds fabulous, Listening to Queen gives me the impression Freddie is in the room singing. Steve Rothery's guitars sound great.

Nov 13, 2018 at 3:06 PM Post #6,202 of 9,829
I think I had a BA go out. I was working today just listening at low volumes and all the sudden I noticed the sound is shifted right in my head. I am one month over my warranty :frowning2:. Anyone had this happen and what did it cost to fix?

Nov 13, 2018 at 4:18 PM Post #6,203 of 9,829
I think I had a BA go out. I was working today just listening at low volumes and all the sudden I noticed the sound is shifted right in my head. I am one month over my warranty :frowning2:. Anyone had this happen and what did it cost to fix?

Sure Campfire will be able to give you an idea of you drop their customer service a quick email.

Did the sound just feelshifted in terms of volume, or was the tone / SQ off as well? If it was just volume, might be worth keeping the Andro in a jar with some dessicant / silica gel packs overnight to see if it was moisture buildup, and also swap the cables round (i.e L to R) if you haven't already. If the "lopsided" side shifts, it could be the cable - had a Linum BaX that did that when one of the connectors inside the cable eventually went.

Nov 13, 2018 at 8:18 PM Post #6,204 of 9,829
Sure Campfire will be able to give you an idea of you drop their customer service a quick email.

Did the sound just feelshifted in terms of volume, or was the tone / SQ off as well? If it was just volume, might be worth keeping the Andro in a jar with some dessicant / silica gel packs overnight to see if it was moisture buildup, and also swap the cables round (i.e L to R) if you haven't already. If the "lopsided" side shifts, it could be the cable - had a Linum BaX that did that when one of the connectors inside the cable eventually went.

I think it might be going away. It could be moisture. I was swimming laps this morning but I had earplugs in but some water might have got in my ears anyway.

The weird thing like I said it it just started while I was wearing them at low volume. Hopefully it goes away.

Nov 13, 2018 at 8:22 PM Post #6,205 of 9,829
I think it might be going away. It could be moisture. I was swimming laps this morning but I had earplugs in but some water might have got in my ears anyway.

The weird thing like I said it it just started while I was wearing them at low volume. Hopefully it goes away.
FYI there have been times where I was using Andromeda during exercise, where bass went out in one side (another where treble went out). Almost had a heart attack -- immediately checked the nozzle and noticed that condensation on the nozzle had bunched up and sealed one of the bores, just at the edge. I used a towel / my shirt to absorb it and all was fine.

That being said, I don't bring Andromeda to the gym anymore unless it's all I've got

Nov 13, 2018 at 11:14 PM Post #6,207 of 9,829
Hi. Anyone here tried pairing the Andro S with AK Norma?

Not S, but regular Andro. Sony DAPs are popular w/ Andro but I prefer SR15 more than WM1A. It is more neutral and resolving to me. WM1A is slightly too warm for my taste. In fact I liked the Norma so much that I now have the Ultima.

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2018 at 6:23 AM Post #6,209 of 9,829
FYI there have been times where I was using Andromeda during exercise, where bass went out in one side (another where treble went out). Almost had a heart attack -- immediately checked the nozzle and noticed that condensation on the nozzle had bunched up and sealed one of the bores, just at the edge. I used a towel / my shirt to absorb it and all was fine.

That being said, I don't bring Andromeda to the gym anymore unless it's all I've got

They are fine today so that had to been it. Thank the IEM Gods. I think a drip must of went in or formed inside from me wearing them so long. I was wearing them the most of 6 hours and I did start wearing them right after I swam then took a shower. I need to make sure my ears are dry I guess. I already purchased postage and had them ready to ship in the box. Thanks for the heads up!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back