Campfire Audio - Introducing 2 new models Hello Andromeda and Nova
Nov 9, 2018 at 2:50 PM Post #6,185 of 9,829
That's what I was trying to do but there was a weird glue-like substance between the orange foam and the rubber earbud itself right at the top. The sides weren't glued on though

Nov 12, 2018 at 6:35 PM Post #6,189 of 9,829
Campfire Audio does Black Friday deals but I believe it's mainly on their cables and B-stock. I seem to recall that new Andromedas were explicitly excluded from the sale

Nov 12, 2018 at 6:39 PM Post #6,190 of 9,829
Try taking the foam out of the L Symbios. Does the trick. With the foams in the Symbios it becomes a larger mass inside your ear. With the foam out it will be way more comfortable and sound correct as well.
thanks for this.

As you know I tried it with the CA Solaris and it is proving popular on that thread (I forgot where I saw it so I didnt quite you, sorry).

I suspect the same might be said for for the Atlas also (stillto try). I havent tried it with the Andromeda yet - usually using JVC spiral tips.

I have found the Symbios useful for say the Dorado, the tip design being for outer ear and not inner.

Your suggestion to remove the foam works well.

The Symbio W bore is a nice medium and not so large as the Spiral tips and not as narrow as final/spinfits. Plus the Thick silicone works as well as the Spiral tips to retain the lows and mids.

Easy mod for maximum satisfaction.

Nov 12, 2018 at 7:58 PM Post #6,191 of 9,829
ok9I9UA.jpg

A wallpaper for those who still enjoy their Andromeda, especially with all the new products coming out.

Nov 12, 2018 at 8:46 PM Post #6,193 of 9,829
The current version has slightly more angled edges to reduce the number of sharp edges I believe, although I had no comfort issues with mine at all

Nov 12, 2018 at 9:04 PM Post #6,195 of 9,829
xwS9D9g.jpg

Quick Comparison between Original Andromeda & Andromeda S

Now for some actual contribution... I managed to get a hold of an Andromeda S from a friend to compare with my original Andromeda. I did a bit of reading prior through this thread and found very mixed opinions on which tuning they preferred. Curious to get to the bottom of the dilemma, I did about a day's listening and drew some conclusions.

I found the original Andromeda more comfortable, the stainless version is noticeably heavier and puts more pressure on my outer ear.

My verdict is that neither the original Andromeda nor the Andromeda S is 'superior' to the other. It is, as usual, preference. Differences are SLIGHT -- if you didn't like OG Andromeda, you probably won't like Andromeda S.

The Andromeda S has a slightly more forward midrange, mainly in the midsection of vocals. I find it results in a more immediately apparent texturing, but also tends to sound a tad bit more intimate in presentation. The original Andromeda has a more laid-back upper midrange. Vocals aren't as upfront, they sound further away in the mix. However on a good note, the original Andromeda's presentation is noticeably more spacious and 'large' sounding (this is part of the magic that Andromeda became famous for).

In terms of treble, it seems like a very close call. The original Andromeda's treble sounds a bit more delicate and fleeting, with a beautiful sparkly presentation. The Andromeda S, in my opinion, does retain the signature sparkle Andromeda is known for -- however, I find that due to the more forward midrange and slightly more intimate staging, it loses a touch of its smooth, shimmering 'silkiness'.

I say it's all relative: there's no actual change to the treble directly, but the modification to the neighboring upper midrange shifts my perception of the treble. There's no way I can afford to keep both of them (nor would I want to, since they're so close to each other), though I am torn between the slight sonic nuances between the two. It comes down to whether you prioritize vocal texturing (Andromeda S), or a slightly more spacious staging with magical treble (original Andromeda).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back