Campfire Audio - Introducing 2 new models Hello Andromeda and Nova
Nov 4, 2018 at 3:28 AM Post #6,152 of 9,829
Hi, this cable looks nice! Where did you find it please?

It’s a Fidue balanced cable! You can buy it on Amazon or Penon Audio! :)

Nov 4, 2018 at 6:18 AM Post #6,153 of 9,829
As we're doing pics, here's my 'before & after'. Only had the Forza cable for a few days and only managed about 6hrs listening time, so a long way from burn-in, the Andromedas have had only about 30hrs play so far. The Forza feels lovely, no microphonics, doesn't tangle and the wire wraps easily & comfortably around the ear without the need of an extra 'memory' sleeve. I've tried a few tips so far, the OE Marshmallows are good but the MandarinEs are proving my favourites (if a little uncomfortable for the first few minutes), but I have some Comply Comfort Ts400 on order which I'll hopefully receive soon.

So far (pre burn in) and coming from a more budget Sennheiser IE80S iem I'm finding these Andromedas pretty amazing, good enough not to be overly fussed about the new Solaris given the price difference (fingers crossed I stay un-tempted)

IMAG0951.jpg
IMAG0955.jpg

Nov 5, 2018 at 4:21 AM Post #6,154 of 9,829
I'm curious whether the Solaris still suffers from the condensation issue the Andromeda has?

I don't have the Solaris, but given that its shell is still aluminum and bigger than the Andro (not to mention that its outer plate is gold plated), I think the condensation issue will be at least as bad.

Before buying the Andro S I hypothesized that the new steel shell would help reduce the amount of condensation because of the lower heat conductivity when compared to aluminium. So far my experienced has pretty much verified that hypothesis.

I hope at least one of these manufacturers would raise the bar and start manufacturing housings from titanium, which I think is the absolute best choice for in-ear applications:
- hypoallergenic
- low weight
- low heat conductivity
- highly corrosion resistant
* (bonus) looks cool

It would be more expensive to make, but easily absorbed in a >$1000 price tag.

Nov 5, 2018 at 9:27 AM Post #6,155 of 9,829
FWIW I still notice some condensation on my Andromeda's nozzle when I take off the tips right after use, but I never owned an original Andromeda so I can't compare. Weirdly, i never noticed condensation on my Jupiter's nozzle.

Nov 5, 2018 at 10:03 AM Post #6,156 of 9,829
FWIW I still notice some condensation on my Andromeda's nozzle when I take off the tips right after use, but I never owned an original Andromeda so I can't compare. Weirdly, i never noticed condensation on my Jupiter's nozzle.
Yes, my Andromeda S still gets dewy, just a lot less than the Green.

Interesting point about the Jupiter.

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2018 at 7:52 AM Post #6,157 of 9,829
Some random pics.
Wanted to show how completly covered in fingerprints these can get, but it doesn't really show in these pics too well.
20181106_114047.jpg
20181106_114336.jpg
But also how reflective these are.
20181106_114420.jpg 20181106_114519.jpg
Huh, I didn't know these were made by Samsung.
20181106_114642.jpg

Nov 6, 2018 at 8:37 AM Post #6,158 of 9,829
There is one thing I really don`t understand: When the Andromeda came out, almost every single review pointed out that it is a phone with a mid centric signature. I personally thought (and still think) like that, too...
But only recently people start to complain that mids with the Andromeda are thin?? Why is that?

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2018 at 9:07 AM Post #6,160 of 9,829
We have folks who like to move the goal post?

Well, but is "mid centric" a goal? I would more say it`s just a signature....
And doesn`t stay mid centric mid centric?
I could understand if people say "the Solaris sounds even more mid centric"...but the Andromeda "thin in the mids"? Still don`t get it...

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2018 at 11:51 AM Post #6,161 of 9,829
Well, but is "mid centric" a goal? I would more say it`s just a signature....
And doesn`t stay mid centric mid centric?
I could understand if people say "the Solaris sounds even more mid centric"...but the Andromeda "thin in the mids"? Still don`t get it...
You know not all signatures are made equal, right? There are certain sound signatures that have elevated "audiophile" status on Head-Fi, despite the fact that apart from "neutral" which has some objective value, all others are down to personal preference.

But that's not the main point here, right. It's the fact that the Solaris hype has reached such a gargantuan level that old icons need to be dismissed with expressions such as: "a completely different league", "totally destroys", etc. (just like the old icons did with the even older icons). I guess it's just the nature of Head-Fi.

I for one don't get too riled up by the hype. I know myself and even though I might prefer the Solaris to my Andromeda once I get a chance to listen to them, I highly doubt that the difference I'll hear will compel me to use any of the above mentioned expressions. I just read it as "these people are very happy with their purchase and are out of their minds". :)

Nov 6, 2018 at 12:33 PM Post #6,163 of 9,829
Yeah,when i read that it is easily X2.5 times better than Andromeda i thought that we are reaching comical levels of hype there but hopefully that will die down eventually and read some sensible reviews,around a month or so.From what i gathered Solaris has the forward,very articulate but neutral tonality mids of Andro S with a bit better soundstage depth and more pin point imaging with 0.5-0.70 sub bass of Atlas with similar quality.

I will wait for detailed comparisons with ier-z1r before going that rabbit hole again.

Nov 6, 2018 at 7:50 PM Post #6,165 of 9,829
You know not all signatures are made equal, right? There are certain sound signatures that have elevated "audiophile" status on Head-Fi, despite the fact that apart from "neutral" which has some objective value, all others are down to personal preference.

Yep, I know that certain signatures have a so called "audiophile" status (though I also know this status is linked to highly relative factors). But still the signature itself is objective and measurable , right? You can clearly see on a graph if mids of an earphone are pronounced and even if there are 1000 more flagships released, this elevation in the mids won`t change. That was what I meant.

But that's not the main point here, right. It's the fact that the Solaris hype has reached such a gargantuan level that old icons need to be dismissed with expressions such as: "a completely different league", "totally destroys", etc. (just like the old icons did with the even older icons). I guess it's just the nature of Head-Fi.

I for one don't get too riled up by the hype. I know myself and even though I might prefer the Solaris to my Andromeda once I get a chance to listen to them, I highly doubt that the difference I'll hear will compel me to use any of the above mentioned expressions. I just read it as "these people are very happy with their purchase and are out of their minds". :)

Well, I heard the Solaris by myself and really liked it. To my ears it also had some elements that I am sometimes missing with the Andromeda (deeper dynamic driver subbass, for example). Though, I would never use expressions like "totally destroys" etc. because these are exactly the relative elements I was writing about above.
So I totally agree with you here!
And am still very happy with my Andromeda because it fits super well to many types of music like it is (when I need more subbass I have other phones... :) )...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back