Campfire Audio - Introducing 2 new models Hello Andromeda and Nova
Oct 9, 2018 at 9:26 PM Post #5,941 of 9,829
My Andro S is on the way. It will be CA #8 for me!

Oct 10, 2018 at 1:51 AM Post #5,942 of 9,829
anyone here uses any desktop dac/ sound card to connect andromedas to your PC?

With the iematch it reduces the hissing but just by a tiny bit. With the Shanling m0 it reduces the hiss by a bit too but it causes audio delays.

Oct 10, 2018 at 2:30 AM Post #5,943 of 9,829
C14B622A-A052-4587-B1F6-624CF541D833.jpeg
Pure Stainless steel :L3000:
Very good match

Oct 10, 2018 at 3:27 AM Post #5,944 of 9,829
The man who truly has everything !
you seem to have been distracted by the pretty picture and forgot to comment on the cable. :)

Oct 10, 2018 at 6:57 AM Post #5,946 of 9,829
Wish those cables came with a 4.4mm end! I hate adaptors!

Oct 10, 2018 at 3:12 PM Post #5,947 of 9,829
anyone here uses any desktop dac/ sound card to connect andromedas to your PC?

With the iematch it reduces the hissing but just by a tiny bit. With the Shanling m0 it reduces the hiss by a bit too but it causes audio delays.

No hissing to report here. Still using the standard cable with a 6.35mm adapter to a Schitt Magni 3 amp, with a FiiO Q1 MkII as a DAC if that helps.

Edit: Just realised its mostly cos of the Magni as it has a low output impedence, so had another quick go just through the Q1 only and yes there is some hissing. Not enough to bother me though but YMMV...

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2018 at 8:14 PM Post #5,948 of 9,829
No hissing to report here. Still using the standard cable with a 6.35mm adapter to a Schitt Magni 3 amp, with a FiiO Q1 MkII as a DAC if that helps.

Edit: Just realised its mostly cos of the Magni as it has a low output impedence, so had another quick go just through the Q1 only and yes there is some hissing. Not enough to bother me though but YMMV...
Have you tried the Andromeda's balanced with the Q1MkII by any chance? I was considering getting it for better impedance matching (2Ohms) once my Andromeda's arrive, but not sure how the hiss will be.

Oct 10, 2018 at 9:31 PM Post #5,949 of 9,829
Pure Stainless steel :L3000:
Very good match
Is it SXC8? I got this wonderful cable to pair with my Andro and it makes me believe that a better cable could really improve the sound.

One issue with the cable is that it has no holder at the Y-split (at least the version I get from my home town, Hong Kong). So some individual cables has become loose and stick out.

B196A270-8ABE-4ABB-AB02-E9FE617BCD49.jpeg
@KB, do you have any suggestion on making it tight again? Sorry if it is off-topic.

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2018 at 11:56 PM Post #5,950 of 9,829
Is it SXC8? I got this wonderful cable to pair with my Andro and it makes me believe that a better cable could really improve the sound.

One issue with the cable is that it has no holder at the Y-split (at least the version I get from my home town, Hong Kong). So some individual cables has become loose and stick out.

@KB, do you have any suggestion on making it tight again? Sorry if it is off-topic.

The cable in the picture is the reference 8, a very good Upgrade over the original cable.
Reference 8 really takes the andromeda to another level of clarity and soundstage :ksc75smile:

But...i already have the SXC8 for my U18t...and it’s really an excellent sonic upgrade IMO even better than Leonidas and Lionheart...but i’s a very stiffy cable...
Mine has an aluminium piece in the Y split

9681BE75-18AC-40D9-8D46-19D0F512091E.jpeg

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2018 at 1:36 AM Post #5,951 of 9,829

The cable in the picture is the reference 8, a very good Upgrade over the original cable.
Reference 8 really takes the andromeda to another level of clarity and soundstage :ksc75smile:

But...i already have the SXC8 for my U18t...and it’s really an excellent sonic upgrade IMO even better than Leonidas and Lionheart...but i’s a very stiffy cable...
Mine has an aluminium piece in the Y split

Perhaps I should try Reference8 for my Massdrop Plus later......:beerchug:

Oct 11, 2018 at 12:43 PM Post #5,952 of 9,829
F5BAF75B-F1C9-43B8-A514-90B7514611A3.jpeg
Absolutely gorgeus look, this “S” version of the Andromeda also seems to have a better fit than the original one (polished SS feels more “soft” in your ears, without sharp angles)
The tuning of the sound is similar to the original one, but more mid orientated, the mid bass and mids are increased a little bit, the sub bass remains the same and the treble sparkle seems to be slightly decreased, but totally present and enjoyable. It’s a very natural and detailed sound tunning, reminds me someway how it sound a good OTL tube amp.
Amazing sidegrade to the original andromedas, if you want a more fun, natural, and vocal oriented tuning than the original Andromeda this is your IEM
Very very nicely done Campfire Audio :darthsmile:

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2018 at 1:03 PM Post #5,953 of 9,829
Absolutely gorgeus look, this “S” version of the Andromeda also seems to have a better fit than the original one (polished SS feels more “soft” in your ears, without sharp angles)
The tuning of the sound is similar to the original one, but more mid orientated, the mid bass and mids are increased a little bit, the sub bass remains the same and the treble sparkle seems to be slightly decreased, but totally present and enjoyable. It’s a very natural and detailed sound tunning, reminds me someway how it sound a good OTL tube amp.
Amazing sidegrade to the original andromedas, if you want a more fun, natural, and vocal oriented tuning than the original Andromeda this is your IEM
Very very nicely done Campfire Audio :darthsmile:

I concur.
Did you notice a difference in soundstage? To me it seems the stage has narrowed and moved down (this second part I feel a bit weird saying).
On the flip side, this more center focused sound appears to make some instruments (electric guitar) more meaty and (?)coherent.
Observations come from A/B testing on Metallica - Astronomy.

Oct 11, 2018 at 2:33 PM Post #5,954 of 9,829
I concur.
Did you notice a difference in soundstage? To me it seems the stage has narrowed and moved down (this second part I feel a bit weird saying).
On the flip side, this more center focused sound appears to make some instruments (electric guitar) more meaty and (?)coherent.
Observations come from A/B testing on Metallica - Astronomy.

Yes it’s a more centric presentation of the soundstage maybe because the enhanced mids and apparently recessed highs, but it’s the same sound approach...maybe more rock/popular oriented tunning
Both andromedas deserve his place in my headphone collection :ksc75smile:

Oct 11, 2018 at 2:50 PM Post #5,955 of 9,829
Funny there is a review that claims that the S version has wider soundstage than normal because of the SS.Maybe because the mids are a bit more forward it gives that impression of being smaller on vocal oriented songs?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back