Campfire Audio - Introducing 2 new models Hello Andromeda and Nova
Aug 16, 2018 at 9:26 PM Post #5,626 of 9,829
BTW, is it safe for the Andro to play straight from laptops, specially with high impedance devices? Not all time I carry the cable and DAC but Andro is the only earphone in my pocket...

Andro sounded like a tin can straight out of my laptop. I suggest to get at least IE Match to change the impedance to 1 - 2.5 ohms.

Aug 16, 2018 at 9:28 PM Post #5,627 of 9,829
Andro sounded like a tin can straight out of my laptop. I suggest to get at least IE Match to change the impedance to 1 - 2.5 ohms.
Ya, they do sound like a tin from my laptop too. But sometimes for quick sound testing, is it safe for the BAs to plug in a high impedance device? If not, I will better stay off...

Aug 16, 2018 at 9:32 PM Post #5,628 of 9,829
Ya, they do sound like a tin from my laptop too. But sometimes for quick sound testing, is it safe for the BAs to plug in a high impedance device? If not, I will better stay off...

It's safe as the db/spl is not going to over 100 decibels when you're listening. IIRC, a typical laptop only has 0.5 to 1V max instead of 2V max from a typical DAP.

Aug 16, 2018 at 9:49 PM Post #5,629 of 9,829
New award today :wink:

'eZone' magazine.

IMG_5791.jpg

Ken

Campfire Audio Campfire Audio - Nicely Done. Stay updated on Campfire Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.campfireaudio.com/ Support@campfireaudio.com
Aug 16, 2018 at 10:31 PM Post #5,630 of 9,829
Aug 17, 2018 at 5:22 AM Post #5,632 of 9,829
For lazy guys
sT9B543.gif
Dis guy the true MVP tbh

Thanks for the comparison gif! I think this will help a lot of people to see the FR differences

EDIT: Also, please do note that my measurements and rig is not perfect. It only serves as a tool to give context on the sound

Anyway, as for my personal impressions, I noticed that the Andro S definitely has less treble. It does sound quite a bit warmer than the fu V-shaped signatured standard Andromedas. What I really like from these is that, due to the boosted mids, vocals actually become sweeter and more tonally correct to me. Additionally for some reason, if we're to believe this is just a standard Andro with more mids, the imaging becomes more centered and clearer. I always noticed some sort of haze when it comes to vocals with the Andromeda and this has none of the haze. I would say the imaging then has improved tbh. The stage is slightly lesser than the standard Andromeda but I don't think it's detrimental to the whole IEM because sometimes Andro can feel a little too wide anyways. This brings the soundstage to a very (personally) sweet spot when it comes to width. The tradeoff is really worth it imho.

This is, of course, my personal and subjective experience. YMMV

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2018 at 12:37 PM Post #5,633 of 9,829
Campfire Audio Campfire Audio - Nicely Done. Stay updated on Campfire Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

Aug 17, 2018 at 2:35 PM Post #5,635 of 9,829
Dis guy the true MVP tbh

Thanks for the comparison gif! I think this will help a lot of people to see the FR differences

EDIT: Also, please do note that my measurements and rig is not perfect. It only serves as a tool to give context on the sound

Anyway, as for my personal impressions, I noticed that the Andro S definitely has less treble. It does sound quite a bit warmer than the fu V-shaped signatured standard Andromedas. What I really like from these is that, due to the boosted mids, vocals actually become sweeter and more tonally correct to me. Additionally for some reason, if we're to believe this is just a standard Andro with more mids, the imaging becomes more centered and clearer. I always noticed some sort of haze when it comes to vocals with the Andromeda and this has none of the haze. I would say the imaging then has improved tbh. The stage is slightly lesser than the standard Andromeda but I don't think it's detrimental to the whole IEM because sometimes Andro can feel a little too wide anyways. This brings the soundstage to a very (personally) sweet spot when it comes to width. The tradeoff is really worth it imho.

This is, of course, my personal and subjective experience. YMMV

Hmm... We dont see this response in our lab. I feel forced to show our A/B. The high frequency of the Andromeda S is the same as the Andromeda classic Green. The difference is the mid frequency sensitivity and how your brain "hears" the HF relative to the mids. Its a perception of the Andromeda S has having less HF when in fact (according to our labs measurements) has exactly the same.

Anyhow we dont hear the Andromeda S and better or worse its just a personal preference and what kind of music you listen to, you can see they are very similar. I do however love the stainless steel body.

There is some slight variability in these models so disregard the 20 - 300 hz 1 dB difference and focus on 300 - 4K. Then note the 6K 10K peak. Also of note on these couplers and ear simulators anything over 10K is somewhat unknown as the mic can not really capture above 10K accurately. Jude knows more than me about the new ear simulators that are "suppose" to be accurate out to 20K (I am skeptical) :confused:

Andromeda-S-vs-Andromeda-G.bmp

Cheers,

Ken

Aug 17, 2018 at 6:13 PM Post #5,636 of 9,829

Hmm... We dont see this response in our lab. I feel forced to show our A/B. The high frequency of the Andromeda S is the same as the Andromeda classic Green. The difference is the mid frequency sensitivity and how your brain "hears" the HF relative to the mids. Its a perception of the Andromeda S has having less HF when in fact (according to our labs measurements) has exactly the same.

Anyhow we dont hear the Andromeda S and better or worse its just a personal preference and what kind of music you listen to, you can see they are very similar. I do however love the stainless steel body.

There is some slight variability in these models so disregard the 20 - 300 hz 1 dB difference and focus on 300 - 4K. Then note the 6K 10K peak. Also of note on these couplers and ear simulators anything over 10K is somewhat unknown as the mic can not really capture above 10K accurately. Jude knows more than me about the new ear simulators that are "suppose" to be accurate out to 20K (I am skeptical) :confused:

Cheers,

Ken

Too many experts I suppose... :wink:

Aug 17, 2018 at 8:14 PM Post #5,637 of 9,829
Too many experts I suppose... :wink:

What experts? Multiple people in SG tried the two models and heard differences, so an honest attempt was made to understand those differences. But if you prefer to mock anyone with a differing opinion, by all means.

Aug 18, 2018 at 12:47 AM Post #5,638 of 9,829

Cheers,

Ken
Thanks for the posted graph! I really appreciate it. I, too like the stainless steel body and honestly prefer it over the standard colour. The Pacific Blue one is still the one that captivated me the most though tbh haha. As for the graphs, my measurement mic is definitely not an industry standard by any means and has a lot of flaws when it comes to providing an accurate, true to the standard you've set. That's why I always say that my measurements are there just to give some sort of a context

I am really sorry if my measurements may have caused some debate. It's never my intention to start one

The FR looks pretty similar except for the mids area and yeah, subjectively I find it sounding much more pleasing to my ears than the standard Andromedas. Also, I do agree on the perception of less treble may come from me trying to match the mids on the Andromeda S to the similar loudness of the mids on the stock Andromeda

Lastly, I really thank you for your measurements. Coming from you, this definitely shows much more and gives more clarity on what's the difference (by FR) on the Andromeda S and the standard Andromeda

Cheers,

Malvin

Aug 18, 2018 at 2:00 PM Post #5,639 of 9,829
one question: how does the andromedas perform in noisy environment e.g. subway/plane/public areas etc as compared to being in your own room/quiet environment. do external noise affect much?

I have the Hyla CE-5 but I feel that it is quite sensitive to external noise.

Aug 18, 2018 at 2:46 PM Post #5,640 of 9,829
one question: how does the andromedas perform in noisy environment e.g. subway/plane/public areas etc as compared to being in your own room/quiet environment. do external noise affect much?

IMO, it's not too bad, but you do lose a bit of bass extension, making the signature more mid-centric. The treble is still the same and doesn't really get drowned. I do prefer the Vega with noisy environment as the bass is still plenty powerful with good impact.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back