Campfire Audio - Introducing 2 new models Hello Andromeda and Nova
Nov 22, 2017 at 1:07 PM Post #4,606 of 9,829
W40 is dark. Same with W60. The W30 is the most neutral from my experience. I had all the Wx0 lineup at some point years ago. I miss how comfortable they are, the most ergonomic IEM I've ever had. But Andro will make the W40 seem veiled and bloated. It will be like a splash of cold water after walking thru the desert. Andro treble extension is miles ahead and overall clarity + resolution improved across all frequencies. Bass quantity will drop a bit, W40 has more visceral impact but also sloppier in texture, Andro bass quality is much cleaner and tighter. One of the biggest changes will also be soundstage which is nearly nonexistent in Westone but Andro has in spades both horizontally and vertically, very holographic sound.

Thanks for your insights on comparing it with the W-series. The B-stock price is very tempting even after converting in Canadian prices (just unsure if duties will be charged).

Nov 22, 2017 at 1:34 PM Post #4,608 of 9,829
Finally pulled the trigger on Andros!

Quick question: I'm about to buy a DAP as well (Sony zx300 or WM1a), so I'd appreciate if anyone could give me some insight on balanced output on these.

First of all, is there a significant difference compared to SE on these devices with Andros?

If there is, which cable would you suggest below 100 $? I'm eyeing the Meeaudio set or the ALO balanced Litz.

No personal experience but folks seem to LOVE the ZX2 with Andros

Nov 22, 2017 at 1:52 PM Post #4,610 of 9,829
Stock cable is between 0.7 and 0.8 ohms of resistance on each leg. If you're looking for total resistance to an iem, you need to add the positive and negative legs together so 1.5 ohms is about right. I think many just measure the positive and give that # which is incorrect. Also, if you have a meter, check the resistance in the measuring device/cables before testing the IEM cable to derive an accurate #. I personally don't like to call that cable 'impedance' and leave it as resistance but to each his own. :L3000: If you measure the resistance of a 75 ohm impedance video or digital cable, the #s have nothing in common. The cable stays 75 ohms impedance regardless of length while the resistance can change significantly.
I used an old meter I had on hand yesterday and the Adro stock number seemed high to me. Revised #s with a different meter and better leads:

*Stock Andro cable: 0.4 ohm per leg. 0.8 ohm total.

*Stock Plastics1 cable type with 3 leads after split. 1.4 ohm per leg. 2.8 total. Having 3 wires below the split can compromise ground (crosstalk) noise between channels if the source has good ground topology. In an unbalanced device intended for a 3 pin plug, the best place to star the ground would be at or as close to the output jack. If using a 4 wire to plug cable and all your other ducks in a row, it should render balanced moot.

*Good quality (probably) 24ga copper upgrade cable. 0.3 ohm per leg. 0.6 ohm total.

*KZ silver plated cable: 0.6 ohm. 1.2 ohm total

*KZ silver over OCC upgrade cable. Same 0.6 ohm. 1.2 ohm total.

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2017 at 2:45 PM Post #4,612 of 9,829
Ya - I have heard of them. However, I am eyeing the white CK Andros and A-Stock Green Andros on Headphone Bar is substantially more. Tks

Oh OK. I was under the impression that with the tax and duty if applicable it’s going to be very close in terms of the final price and with Headphone Bar you get full warranty as opposed to 90 days on the B stock from CA.

Nov 22, 2017 at 10:25 PM Post #4,613 of 9,829
Hi, I just bought the B stock Andromedas. I've been reading very positive reviews but non seem to really point out its flaws in terms of sound. Can anyone tell me what are some of its flaws? I'm a bit skeptical when people say there are no flaws

Nov 22, 2017 at 11:29 PM Post #4,614 of 9,829
Hi, I just bought the B stock Andromedas. I've been reading very positive reviews but non seem to really point out its flaws in terms of sound. Can anyone tell me what are some of its flaws? I'm a bit skeptical when people say there are no flaws

hiss, hiss, hiss and extremely wild impedance curve being as low as 4 ohms. Will react very differently to source impedance. Likely will be bass roll-off with output cap coupled amps. Slightly off timbre (still very good for BA.

I remember buying B stock Andro last year for $769 and it served me well until I started mess with the EQ on isine20 + cipher cable. Also I found out I prefer the dynamic driver sound (still has the Vega).

BTW, I feel isine20 b-stock deal at Audeze is probably the best performance per $ deal this Black Friday.

Nov 25, 2017 at 8:21 AM Post #4,616 of 9,829
hiss, hiss, hiss and extremely wild impedance curve being as low as 4 ohms. Will react very differently to source impedance. Likely will be bass roll-off with output cap coupled amps. Slightly off timbre (still very good for BA.

I remember buying B stock Andro last year for $769 and it served me well until I started mess with the EQ on isine20 + cipher cable. Also I found out I prefer the dynamic driver sound (still has the Vega).

BTW, I feel isine20 b-stock deal at Audeze is probably the best performance per $ deal this Black Friday.
Timbre is great on Andro and they phase like a single driver. Why would one use a cap coupled amp with a $1k earphone or make absolute qualitative statements based on an Iphone. When it comes to the more costly end of a market, matching is a significant part of the equation. None of this means that you're wrong regarding your own situation but it really doesn't relate that well to most others.

Nov 25, 2017 at 1:00 PM Post #4,617 of 9,829
I am just basing on my experience with how andro accurately reproduces the sound of intruments with a record I participated in as a second violinist at the Vancouver Symphony Orchestra. I even feel my focal Utopia has slight coloration compared to my Magnepans with custom crossovers.
As I said, andro is pretty good for BA based earphones but not great imho. I prefer the ER4XR over andro in terms of timbral accuracy.

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2017 at 2:12 PM Post #4,618 of 9,829
My White B-Stock Andromeda just showed up in the mail. I ordered them Tuesday when the sale went live.

I can't see any cosmetic imperfections.

Nov 25, 2017 at 2:21 PM Post #4,620 of 9,829
That's fine but maggies aren't what I'd consider exceptionally accurate as they tend to soften things and favor the harmonic to the fundamental. Good enough speakers and nothing's perfect but for a panel, I prefer Quads. You also weren't sitting where the mics were placed or heard the direct feed while playing but certainly have a better idea than most.

I prefer it the other way around as the ER4xr seems to dull things up a bit for me... not tonally but attack wise. Same compared to the original ER4 which is even more etched. I've listened to both the ER4xr and Andro with live feeds where I knew the mics etc and feel differently. I find a lot of recordings lose something that perhaps your choices bring back a bit. I am careful about impedance matching to get an acceptable bass to mid transition and use the supplied foam tips. To each his own and I'm good with that. There's good reason that so many different products sell well and have fans.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back