Campfire Audio - Introducing 2 new models Hello Andromeda and Nova
Mar 11, 2017 at 9:43 PM Post #3,841 of 9,829
I tried ALO Reference 8.
Currently using Effect Audio Leonidas.

1+
I have 5 cable ,Each cable is a new signature.

Decided on a favourite?

http://www.norneaudio.com/litzheim/Silvergarde-S-clear-silver-occ-litz-large-gauge-carbon-conductive-core-type-replacement-upgrade-aftermarket-portable-cable-headphone-plus-the-ultimate-sound-2-6-flagship-jh-eidolic-2-pin-carbon-splitter-mmcx-shure-westone-alclair-noble?search=silvergarde&sort=rating&order=ASC

Mar 12, 2017 at 2:34 PM Post #3,843 of 9,829
So let's focus on the case. I like many things about the Andromeda, but the case is not one of them. Haven't finished the review yet, but here's some of my case-nitpicking:

- It looks nice and the leather feels nice, but it's not all that handy. Volume is considerable (making it hard to pocket, unlike say, the squarish hard case of the Shure SE846) and the space inside isn't all that much due to the way it closes. Those side flaps fold inside.

Quite often I get the Andromeda out and the tips are squished. You can see it here, the useful volume is perhaps 50% of the case length. Everything is compressed at the center...

The flaps stop the case from opening completely and have things flying off, but that's not really a problem as you're not storing coins.

So after three weeks of annoyance, I simply removed the side leather and re-glued part of the inner lining. Much better now. plenty of space, no squishing and it opens much better. CA should rethink these cases.

Before and after...

I went for this experiment with the faulty case I got with my Andromeda. You can see the crooked zip, on the case shown on the right side.
CA kindly send me a new case really quick, the one of the left, which is flawless, but will definitely get modded now that I had a chance to experiment.

And there you go, no more squished foam eartips and a lot more space to separate the two earphones properly to avoid scratches...

Now, if I could only finish that Andromeda review this weekend...

Mar 12, 2017 at 11:16 PM Post #3,844 of 9,829
  So let's focus on the case. I like many things about the Andromeda, but the case is not one of them. Haven't finished the review yet, but here's some of my case-nitpicking:

- It looks nice and the leather feels nice, but it's not all that handy. Volume is considerable (making it hard to pocket, unlike say, the squarish hard case of the Shure SE846) and the space inside isn't all that much due to the way it closes. Those side flaps fold inside.

Quite often I get the Andromeda out and the tips are squished. You can see it here, the useful volume is perhaps 50% of the case length. Everything is compressed at the center...

The flaps stop the case from opening completely and have things flying off, but that's not really a problem as you're not storing coins.

So after three weeks of annoyance, I simply removed the side leather and re-glued part of the inner lining. Much better now. plenty of space, no squishing and it opens much better. CA should rethink these cases.

Before and after...

I went for this experiment with the faulty case I got with my Andromeda. You can see the crooked zip, on the case shown on the right side.
CA kindly send me a new case really quick, the one of the left, which is flawless, but will definitely get modded now that I had a chance to experiment.

And there you go, no more squished foam eartips and a lot more space to separate the two earphones properly to avoid scratches...

Now, if I could only finish that Andromeda review this weekend...

Visual wise, I personally favor the stock. However, it would be much easier to put in and take out the andros after your mod. I personally like the way how they get squashed in the case because you know that the andros will stay in place even if you carry them around while moving.

Mar 13, 2017 at 1:15 AM Post #3,845 of 9,829
Anyone heard of Blue(CK) Andromeda?

Mar 13, 2017 at 2:15 AM Post #3,847 of 9,829
Mar 13, 2017 at 3:04 AM Post #3,848 of 9,829
Just found this option on "Taobao.com", but no pic yet. 

Mar 13, 2017 at 5:19 AM Post #3,850 of 9,829
  Visual wise, I personally favor the stock. However, it would be much easier to put in and take out the andros after your mod. I personally like the way how they get squashed in the case because you know that the andros will stay in place even if you carry them around while moving.

Oh they stay in place after removing the flaps. The wolly interior and the cable/cable guides end up holding it. There's zero wobble if you shake the case violently. :D
And no squashing, plus a lot easier to store them.

Mar 13, 2017 at 7:24 AM Post #3,852 of 9,829
  I wish I had another one to experiment on :D

There isn't much to lose, really. Just do it carefully, slowly pulling the side flaps (which are glued) without ripping off the whole thing like a savage :)
After that you might need to add a bit of glue to the fleece on the inner corners and done. It actually looks as if it came that way out of factory, surely won't affect resale value.

And,
1- Much easier to store the IEMs properly (Easier to separate them, more space to position/adjust the guides and put the cable in a less tangly position)
2- Tips no longer squished when I remove them. Granted, the memory foam goes back to its shape, but it's annoying seeing them deformed.
3- They still won't move/bounce around even if you shake the case violently.

The default case would be OK for coins, jewelry or little items that would pop out and fall on the floor, that's what the flaps would be userful for. But for IEMs it really makes no sense.

This reminds me, about to start some listening at work... :)

Mar 13, 2017 at 11:00 AM Post #3,853 of 9,829
  Just found this option on "Taobao.com", but no pic yet. 

One should always be cautious when the first place you see/hear of such a product is on a Chinese merchant site. And I say this as a Chinese person. It was listed as Campfier Audio or something like that right? Rip-off brands love spelling things wrong lol
biggrin.gif
. In all seriousness though, I think the Andromeda could look equally stunning in the right shade of blue.

Mar 16, 2017 at 12:31 PM Post #3,855 of 9,829
I recently auditioned the campfire lineup(lyra II to vega) using my zx2. It is true that andromeda pairs well with the zx2. Hiss is tolerable(i came from supra2). If im going to rank it, andromeda>jupiter>lyraII>dorado>vega. Vega is very warm sounding with zx2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back