Campfire Audio - Introducing 2 new models Hello Andromeda and Nova
Mar 2, 2017 at 7:04 PM Post #3,811 of 9,829

I don't know if I'd call them iridescent, but the color is very beautiful in person.  The tone change is subtle but noticeable. 

Mar 4, 2017 at 6:38 PM Post #3,812 of 9,829
These babies are not a bad way to spend a Saturday evening...

Gotta stop being lazy and finish that Andromeda review I've been drafting. Know them a lot better by now, so perhaps the wait was good to discover more pros and cons.

Mar 6, 2017 at 11:11 AM Post #3,813 of 9,829
Hi, can anyone here help me compare Vega and Andromeda to Aether? Thanks

Mar 6, 2017 at 5:04 PM Post #3,814 of 9,829
Think you are in for a treat Beowulf, if you like a wide open dynamic sounding IEM. It blows the SE846 out of the water IMO.

Sir, I notice the BOC album cover, one of my favorite bands, any pointers when trying to decide between the vegas or andros with electronica!?

Mar 6, 2017 at 5:06 PM Post #3,815 of 9,829
Hi, can anyone here help me compare Vega and Andromeda to Aether? Thanks

I'm currently in the same dilemma, one of my best friends purchased and received the andromeda today and is absolutely floored. I'm ready to pull the trigger but can't decide between the two for electronica and house.

Mar 6, 2017 at 5:50 PM Post #3,816 of 9,829
I'm currently in the same dilemma, one of my best friends purchased and received the andromeda today and is absolutely floored. I'm ready to pull the trigger but can't decide between the two for electronica and house.

Sir, I notice the BOC album cover, one of my favorite bands, any pointers when trying to decide between the vegas or andros with electronica!?

For sure the Vega, have had both and for electronic music the Andromedas just sound to critical, the bass is there but doesn't make you "feel" the music. The Vegas have soul, you can feel the bass and they sound much more musical. The andromedas are more of an acoustic kind of sound with their amazing clarity, but if you want to listen to something musical and soulful I suggest the vega

Mar 6, 2017 at 6:19 PM Post #3,817 of 9,829
For sure the Vega, have had both and for electronic music the Andromedas just sound to critical, the bass is there but doesn't make you "feel" the music. The Vegas have soul, you can feel the bass and they sound much more musical. The andromedas are more of an acoustic kind of sound with their amazing clarity, but if you want to listen to something musical and soulful I suggest the vega

That's where the opinion splits. I too preferred Andro over Vega when I compared them side by side at the show booth. A week later I bought Andro :)
A friend of mine also thought Andro to be better because he thought that Vega sounded garbage un-amped. When properly amped, he said that both goes toe to toe against Andro if not better.

Mar 6, 2017 at 6:32 PM Post #3,818 of 9,829
That's where the opinion splits. I too preferred Andro over Vega when I compared them size by size at the show booth. A week later I bought Andro
smily_headphones1.gif

A friend of mine also thought Andro to be better because he thought that Vega sounded garbage un-amped. When properly amped, he said that both goes toe to toe against Andro if not better.

I agree.  The vegas do sound better with more power.  So it depends on the source you're using to listen music.  It seems the Andromedas are easier to drive in order to get to its full potential.  

Mar 6, 2017 at 6:42 PM Post #3,819 of 9,829
Andro also have its own potential.

It might sound smooth n light but after you change a different cable it is another story.

Andro does have power too.

Mar 6, 2017 at 6:42 PM Post #3,820 of 9,829
I agree.  The vegas do sound better with more power.  So it depends on the source you're using to listen music.  It seems the Andromedas are easier to drive in order to get to its full potential.  

In a way, yes, the Andromeda do not need much power. But they can be very picky with sources. For instance, they sound pretty good directly out of my phone (S7Edge Exyno) but lose a lot of body with a couple of (decent) amp/DAC pairs I tried. Bass gets weaker, treble gets too grainy and cold, like an HD800 underamped.

So while the Andro don't need amping per se and appear easy to drive, their sound changes A LOT depending on source.

In that sense I suspect you can even say that they're harder to drive (adequately) than the Vega.

I almost sent them back after testing with one amp/dac pair, but after trying others (and noticing that the phone can manage on its own) I kept them and they turned out to be surprisingly good.

Mar 6, 2017 at 6:55 PM Post #3,821 of 9,829
In a way, yes, the Andromeda do not need much power. But they can be very picky with sources. For instance, they sound pretty good directly out of my phone (S7Edge Exyno) but lose a lot of body with a couple of (decent) amp/DAC pairs I tried. Bass gets weaker, treble gets too grainy and cold, like an HD800 underamped.

So while the Andro don't need amping per se and appear easy to drive, their sound changes A LOT depending on source.

In that sense I suspect you can even say that they're harder to drive (adequately) than the Vega.

I almost sent them back after testing with one amp/dac pair, but after trying others (and noticing that the phone can manage on its own) I kept them and they turned out to be surprisingly good.

So both are dependent on the source, but for different reasons.  Which is why it is important to audition them with your gear if you can. Or you can let others do the hard work and buy all complementary gear at once 
biggrin.gif

Mar 6, 2017 at 7:06 PM Post #3,822 of 9,829
So both are dependent on the source, but for different reasons.  Which is why it is important to audition them with your gear if you can. Or you can let others do the hard work and buy all complementary gear at once :D

Indeed, thats how I see it. I'm actually listening to Jordi Savall's "La Folia" with the Andromeda now and the amount of detail and soundstage is impressive. They do remind me a lot of the HD800 or 800S. Bass is all there too, but the description 'you hear it all vs you feel it all' is something I have to say I understand versus dynamic driver designs and the vega.

Oh, and I was lazy ajd and just plugged it to my phone. Warm and nice. Couldn't be bothered to grab the iDSDL Black Label (great pairing).

My desktop amp is right here next to me, but its the one that makes it sound thin and harsh.

Seems output impedance and the overall noise floor of the source are two points that can totally kill the joy with the Andromeda, or at least they did it for me with some sources.

Haven't heard this album in ages. Forgot how great it sounds with good headphones/IEMs...

Mar 8, 2017 at 6:04 AM Post #3,825 of 9,829
After really long time of searching new IEM I think I will go to the Campfire route. I tried a few basic models (in different months) like Jupiter, Sage, Spartan, UMPRO50 and I liked clearly most Jupiter and Spartan (really like their mids, clean nature and amazing separation, also very comfy and beauty design of the universal shell) but Jupiter sounded a little speaker like in attack, speed, tight so i think I liked them more from shorter experience (4days) but with different tips. Also vivid, clarity, separation, soundstage, neutral-natural balance all was there. So I think I will go with Andromeda soon when I will see good deal.
Still would like to hear more options Vega, UERR, ES60, AAW but I can not hear everything so I think Adnromeda will be save bet for me as better tuning of the Jupiter, in the end I like Andro green from photos now :D.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back