Campfire Audio - Introducing 2 new models Hello Andromeda and Nova
Apr 22, 2016 at 11:13 AM Post #241 of 9,829
See you at the Tokyo Show
(Head pie).

OMG, cant wait to get back to Tokyo - Please spend some time at our table. We need reports on the Nova :-0

Cheers

Ken

Campfire Audio Campfire Audio - Nicely Done. Stay updated on Campfire Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.campfireaudio.com/ Support@campfireaudio.com
Apr 22, 2016 at 11:24 AM Post #242 of 9,829
  I'm using the Orion now and I'm excited for the Andromeda.

Just want to ask if the Litz cable will already address the microphonics I experience with the Tinsel? I tried using the Linum cable and it really minimized the microphonics..

Also, any thoughts on how's Andromeda compared to Angie? Between Jupiter and Angie I like Angie more..

HI Trebire,

Sorry for the long explanation but here goes. 

Yes indeed, I mean that was one of the reasons why I wanted to switch to the litz cable. The CA tinsel cable sounded great but we did not like the way the teflon jacket seemed to keep a "memory" of it was not stored in the perfect "O" coli. Meaning of you just scrunched it up many times it would become kinky and also have some microphonics. You can however heat the wire while pulling it taut with a hair dryer to remove the kinky wire back to straight and more relaxed but.. Anyhow I very much listen to my customers on their wishes and this was one of them. The great thing about the teflon tinsel cable was that it was super tough and chemical / oil resistant, plus the Teflon is a much better dielectric, down side is the mechanical issues I described above. So we solved this problem with the new litz cable by nature of a litz conductor having each individual strand coated with a enamel like coating that seals the metal from the atmosphere, oil, sweat etc... Then used a medical grade PVC that is really good stuff. So sonically it is good, mechanically better than the tinsel wire. The CA tinsel wire however does also sound quite good as well.

Andromeda vs Angie etc.. I can not make comparisons, but must say that even being compared to anything Jerry makes certainly is a big honor for me and my team. I have know Jerry for a long time and probably have the most respect for him than anyone in the business. 

Hope this helps on the cable.

Ken

Campfire Audio Campfire Audio - Nicely Done. Stay updated on Campfire Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.campfireaudio.com/ Support@campfireaudio.com
Apr 22, 2016 at 12:08 PM Post #243 of 9,829
HI Trebire,

Sorry for the long explanation but here goes. 

Yes indeed, I mean that was one of the reasons why I wanted to switch to the litz cable. The CA tinsel cable sounded great but we did not like the way the teflon jacket seemed to keep a "memory" of it was not stored in the perfect "O" coli. Meaning of you just scrunched it up many times it would become kinky and also have some microphonics. You can however heat the wire while pulling it taut with a hair dryer to remove the kinky wire back to straight and more relaxed but.. Anyhow I very much listen to my customers on their wishes and this was one of them. The great thing about the teflon tinsel cable was that it was super tough and chemical / oil resistant, plus the Teflon is a much better dielectric, down side is the mechanical issues I described above. So we solved this problem with the new litz cable by nature of a litz conductor having each individual strand coated with a enamel like coating that seals the metal from the atmosphere, oil, sweat etc... Then used a medical grade PVC that is really good stuff. So sonically it is good, mechanically better than the tinsel wire. The CA tinsel wire however does also sound quite good as well.

Andromeda vs Angie etc.. I can not make comparisons, but must say that even being compared to anything Jerry makes certainly is a big honor for me and my team. I have know Jerry for a long time and probably have the most respect for him than anyone in the business. 

Hope this helps on the cable.

Ken

Hi Ken, thanks got it. Is the new Litz cable similar to Linum?

Also since you mentioned about that low end weight in Nova (which I think is missing in Orion) I think Nova will be a good buy at that price range then..

Apr 22, 2016 at 4:12 PM Post #245 of 9,829
Andromeda vs Angie (and Layla, and Roxanne, and the Se846)

I spent a fair amount of time bouncing back and forth between the tables and to my ears the Andromeda outperformed them (based on my preference)

The forementioned IEMs all sounded very good, but didn't have the sense of depth or height that the Andromeda had.

The top tier IEMs I mentioned sound great, but the Andromeda sets itself part thanks to the huge Soundstage and what sounded like limitless extension on both end of the frequency response. YMMV

Apr 22, 2016 at 4:12 PM Post #246 of 9,829

OMG, cant wait to get back to Tokyo - Please spend some time at our table. We need reports on the Nova :-0

Cheers

Ken

You can ship me my NOVA and I can  certainly  post my impressions on it before you reach Japan!

Apr 22, 2016 at 4:45 PM Post #247 of 9,829
Andromeda vs Angie (and Layla, and Roxanne, and the Se846)

I spent a fair amount of time bouncing back and forth between the tables and to my ears the Andromeda outperformed them (based on my preference)

The forementioned IEMs all sounded very good, but didn't have the sense of depth or height that the Andromeda had.

The top tier IEMs I mentioned sound great, but the Andromeda sets itself part thanks to the huge Soundstage and what sounded like limitless extension on both end of the frequency response. YMMV

Never heard Layla but doesn't that have one of the largest stages of currently available IEMs? So the Andromeda outperformed it in that respect?

Apr 22, 2016 at 4:50 PM Post #248 of 9,829
Never heard Layla but doesn't that have one of the largest stages of currently available IEMs? So the Andromeda outperformed it in that respect?
I was listening to them in a expo room, and didn't have an extraordinary amount of time with them, but from what I gathered from my sessions with each, the Andromeda was my favorite and had the largest Soundstage of all of them, maybe the biggest I've ever heard in an in-ear monitor

Apr 22, 2016 at 5:59 PM Post #249 of 9,829
I'm much more eager for comparisons of the Andromeda vs. the K10U. Now that's a fight I'd like to see the Andromeda win. 
eek.gif

Apr 22, 2016 at 6:19 PM Post #250 of 9,829
  I'm much more eager for comparisons of the Andromeda vs. the K10U. Now that's a fight I'd like to see the Andromeda win. 
eek.gif

It's a different flavor, and I can think of several who would favor the Andromeda over than the K10U. Personally I like them both but my preferences lean towards the K10. Price no object the K10 is the one I'd buy. That said, when you factor in that the Andromeda is 2/3 the price of the K10U it really makes you think. Hard. From the listening I did at Axpona, I'd say that the Andromeda is voiced a tad warmer than the K10 with a smoother top end. Mids are a touch more luscious at the expense of some detail. Keep in mind that was listening briefly (maybe 10 minutes or so) under show conditions.

They're both excellent. If I had the wallet for it I'd own one of each; the Andromeda as a universal and the K10 as a custom. If you're considering the K10U then you should check out the Andromeda as well because you may find that the sound signature is more to your tastes, and if that's the case then the extra $550 in your wallet is just icing on the cake.

Apr 22, 2016 at 8:07 PM Post #251 of 9,829
Between Nova and Orion, which has elevated mids?

Apr 22, 2016 at 10:00 PM Post #252 of 9,829

It's a different flavor, and I can think of several who would favor the Andromeda over than the K10U. Personally I like them both but my preferences lean towards the K10. Price no object the K10 is the one I'd buy. That said, when you factor in that the Andromeda is 2/3 the price of the K10U it really makes you think. Hard. From the listening I did at Axpona, I'd say that the Andromeda is voiced a tad warmer than the K10 with a smoother top end. Mids are a touch more luscious at the expense of some detail. Keep in mind that was listening briefly (maybe 10 minutes or so) under show conditions.

They're both excellent. If I had the wallet for it I'd own one of each; the Andromeda as a universal and the K10 as a custom. If you're considering the K10U then you should check out the Andromeda as well because you may find that the sound signature is more to your tastes, and if that's the case then the extra $550 in your wallet is just icing on the cake.

I completely agree, but for me I ended up purchasing Andromeda after comparing to K10. I just found Andromeda's sound has more soul and more character. It clicked with my heart so deeply and so instantly. The decision was easier than i thought.

Btw, if you thought the sound stage of Andromeda is amazing, wait until you try running it balanced. It even opens up even more coming out the balanced output of my CDM. Truly amazing stuff.

Apr 22, 2016 at 10:21 PM Post #254 of 9,829
I completely agree, but for me I ended up purchasing Andromeda after comparing to K10. I just found Andromeda's sound has more soul and more character. It clicked with my heart so deeply and so instantly. The decision was easier than i thought.

Btw, if you thought the sound stage of Andromeda is amazing, wait until you try running it balanced. It even opens up even more coming out the balanced output of my CDM. Truly amazing stuff.

The andromeda is really sensitive though isn't it?

Apr 22, 2016 at 10:36 PM Post #255 of 9,829
Any more Deets on SE vs balanced? I'm also looking at pairing with CDM

Users who are viewing this thread

Back