Campfire Audio - Introducing 2 new models Hello Andromeda and Nova
Oct 9, 2020 at 2:04 AM Post #9,076 of 9,829
Is it here anybody who are using Andro with iPhone, LG V...? I would like just keep it simple = mobile with streaming spotify.

I remember when I had first Campfire flagships Jupiter with iPhone in past, combo was so good becouse iPhone was warmer and Jupiter opposite, almost his free not hard drive, sound was highly dynamic, clear with many details transitions, nice extensions in highs, mids little far from head, stage spacious, overall sound was more diffuse but still accurate with nice touch of real feel.

It is reason why I am thinking about Andro but impressions reviews tells how complicated is drive them and it push my interest away. So maybe Blessing 2 or VientoB etc. would be better option.

What is your opinions?

Oct 9, 2020 at 2:19 AM Post #9,077 of 9,829
My Andro's 2020 sound good on the built-in audio jack of iPhone 6s. They sounds great on iPad Pro 2017. Yet the Apple lighting to 3.5mm adapter is missing juice to bring out the bass, and Andro's are overly bright on it. Of course, there is a step up in SQ and detail on dedicated DAPs and AMPs, but that's the same for Blessing 2.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2020 at 6:01 PM Post #9,078 of 9,829
A few years late to the party, but finally grabbed an Andromeda 2.5 to compare to my Solaris and Tux 5. Only wanted one for a couple of years now lol.

Oct 16, 2020 at 2:31 PM Post #9,079 of 9,829
I have a question. What IEM should I be looking at if I want to upgrade from Andromeda 2020? I want even more detail and similarly good or better bass definition. Is my only choice the Empire Ears Odin? I listened to the UM Mest briefly, and I heard less detail than in Andromeda 2020, especially in the treble. Thank you in advance for your suggestions.

Oct 16, 2020 at 4:15 PM Post #9,081 of 9,829
I have a question. What IEM should I be looking at if I want to upgrade from Andromeda 2020? I want even more detail and similarly good or better bass definition. Is my only choice the Empire Ears Odin? I listened to the UM Mest briefly, and I heard less detail than in Andromeda 2020, especially in the treble. Thank you in advance for your suggestions.

I stress this is just my take, but I would stay away from the Ara. It is not an upgrade by any means - either in tonality or technical performance. As for why:
  • It has significantly less bass quantity than the Andro 2020 even if it slams a bit harder, tighter.
  • The ear gain peaks at 1.5kHz (too early), and vocals sound very distant on it.
  • The upper-midrange has a good deal of peaking; it's quite the sibilant IEM.
  • It might be slightly more resolving than the Andro 2020; however, I think the Andro 2020 actually has better imaging and macrodynamics.
androvara.jpg

Ignore the crazy resonance peaks from 8-10kHz. I don't have the Andro 2020 review unit anymore and can't match it exactly w/ the Ara. All this is not to say the Ara is bad (it's pretty technical for its price point!), just that it's probably not the upgrade you're looking for. It's a Campfire Audio alternative for someone who wants something a bit more neutral than the Andro 2020.

As someone who was very close to purchasing an Andro 2020, but couldn't bring myself to, I'd take a look at the 64 Audio U12t. They don't graph quite the same, but they have a similar "vibe" (laidback, resolving) to them overall. They also have a similar dip to the upper-midrange that projects vocals really nicely. The sub-bass shelf of the U12t is more elevated, but levels off quicker, so you get more definition in the lower-midrange. That's not to mention the bass response itself which is terrific for a BA - it slams a good deal more than the Andro 2020 and has more texture. You don't quite get the same "holographic" imaging the Andro 2020 has, but it's also a good step up in overall resolving ability.

androu12t.jpg

Either way, Andro 2020 is a pretty hard IEM to top. If you prioritize perceived clarity above all else, then yeah, the EE Odin might be a good pick. It has a ton of upper-midrange tilt from what I can see. Another IEM to consider is the qdc Anole VX, one of the most resolving IEMs I've personally heard, but its worth mentioning that neither of these follow similar tonality to the Andro 2020. Hope this helps!

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2020 at 4:41 PM Post #9,082 of 9,829
Oct 16, 2020 at 4:47 PM Post #9,083 of 9,829
Oct 16, 2020 at 5:30 PM Post #9,084 of 9,829

MW10 / U12T.

Oct 16, 2020 at 6:26 PM Post #9,085 of 9,829

U12T

Oct 16, 2020 at 6:36 PM Post #9,086 of 9,829
u12t is marginally more detailed than Andro and does have a nicer bass decay but Andro on the whole (to my ears) is a much more satisfying listen and is really more a side-grade than an upgrade imho.

Oct 17, 2020 at 3:17 AM Post #9,087 of 9,829
u12t is marginally more detailed than Andro and does have a nicer bass decay but Andro on the whole (to my ears) is a much more satisfying listen and is really more a side-grade than an upgrade imho.

I think the Andromedas are pretty much the best value buy in its price bracket, let's say USD1000-1500. If you're willing to shell almost double the price (USD2000 vs. USD1100), I find the U12T a suitable improvement with more extended and defined treble and a more DD sounding bass with good sub-bass extension. However, I'm not sure if it's a fair comparison considering the very large price difference...

MEST is a good competitor though, but at the cost of $300 more. A good substitute if you want more authoritative and DD bass. But I believe the 2020 holds it owns.

Oct 17, 2020 at 10:17 AM Post #9,089 of 9,829
However, I'm not sure if it's a fair comparison considering the very large price difference...

I don't think a price differential should negate a comparison, especially in this case. I don't doubt that the u12t has qualities that, for some, justify its extra cost. Further, I imagine that said extra cost to some extent owes itself to factors which have nothing to do with sound (Apex tech, for example). I spent a few months with Andromeda and had the chance to demo it against the u12t (which I have been able to demo extensively on a couple occasions in the past) and to my years, despite the improved bass quality of the u12t, the Andromeda presents, on the whole, a more engaging and satisfying listening experience than the u12t which, despite its technical chops, is a much blander listen by comparison and, to my ears, has a sound that is a bit too thin. Further, if you plug the Andromeda into something like the Lotoo PAW S1, which has a pitch black background, then (bass notwithsanding) the technical gap closes to a good extent. I won't get into tonality as that is really entirely subjective. On the whole though one of the biggest lessons I've learned so far in this hobby is that technical chops in an IEM, though they may command a $$ premium, don't necessarily translate to a more enjoyable listening experience...which just happens to be my personal #1 priority. If they were both on sale new for the same price I would take the Andromeda (or Solaris for that matter) over the u12t without hesitation just because I vastly prefer how it sounds and how much more engaged I am when I listen to it.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back