Campfire Audio - Introducing 2 new models Hello Andromeda and Nova
Jul 25, 2019 at 10:00 PM Post #7,396 of 9,829
Yeah, a listen through my test play track and they’re as good as the ones I had before (the v2). Maybe a touch warmer in the mids but I cannot confirm. The fit seems a tad better too (could be the cable).

As like before, what makes these special is the wide soundstage but more importantly, the cohesivenss and tonality of the sound. You get a lot of detail thrown at you with multi-drivers but the Andromedas manage to link these sounds and make the tracks sound musical and lovely. I think it’s the depths and layers you can get lost in.

Btw kudos on the new cable. Great for glasses wearers. Although...I do kind of like the old packaging better. I miss the compact package like my Orions :)

P.S. the Moondrop A8 are pretty good too. Not Andromeda’s level (just a tad below) but a very transparent and water-like sound.

Jul 25, 2019 at 10:59 PM Post #7,397 of 9,829
Yep, I've owned two Andromedas actually before the v3 (v2 I believe). I just couldn't get the fit to work for me (too shallow), but I went back for the sound and have other IEMs if I need the isolation. I also think the fit is a bit improved with v3...doesn't dangle out of my ears but it could be the new cable.
I've never had issues with shallow fit iems, so Andromeda wasn't an issue for my ears. For me, fit has more to do with tips than anything else. For me, the best isolating tips for Andro are Spiral Dots. isolates better for me than Etymotic ER4 even, but I think it's due to the triple flanges not sealing well for my ears.

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2019 at 8:07 AM Post #7,399 of 9,829
I'm not sure how I came across this thread. I probably found it when I was looking to buy my Andromedas. Which are truly amazing.

However, I'm posting this to thank the members of this thread (maybe, @Colors ?) for turning me on to the Orion. After listening to these for a day, I almost wonder why anyone bothers with more than 1 BA (kidding). Truly exceeded my expectations.

Jul 26, 2019 at 8:08 AM Post #7,400 of 9,829
I don't have a problem now using Blackbird foam tips, S30's if I remember correctly. They stay put where before I had problems with the shorter silicone mushroom type. I guess that's why there called secureFit.
Personally, I don't like foams, they tend to soften the bass, and reduce impact. I prefer silicones due to more tactile or tighter bass. High frequencies are effected as well, and depends on if the result are desireable or not. Might roll off the treble a bit much for some.

I find Andro's bass should be tight and perhaps this reduces warm haziness, and increase clarity.

Actually, I think all bass should be tight, and I think Andro's dynamic bass is one of the highlights with the right tips and source.

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2019 at 8:18 AM Post #7,401 of 9,829
I'm not sure how I came across this thread. I probably found it when I was looking to buy my Andromedas. Which are truly amazing.

However, I'm posting this to thank the members of this thread (maybe, @Colors ?) for turning me on to the Orion. After listening to these for a day, I almost wonder why anyone bothers with more than 1 BA (kidding). Truly exceeded my expectations.

The Orions are really underrated especially at the B-stock prices.

Jul 26, 2019 at 8:25 AM Post #7,402 of 9,829
Personally, I don't like foams, they tend to soften the bass, and reduce impact. I prefer silicones due to more tactile or tighter bass. High frequencies are effected as well, and depends on if the result are desireable or not. Might roll off the treble a bit much for some.

I find Andro's bass should be tight and perhaps this reduces warm haziness, and increase clarity.

Actually, I think all bass should be tight, and I think Andro's dynamic bass is one of the highlights with the right tips and source.

I normally use silicone but just can't get on with them with the Andro's. I find foamies improve the bass which I thought was lacking when using silicones - which also affected the highs, they just didn't sound right to me. But looks like I'm in the minority as many seem to agree with your view.

Jul 26, 2019 at 8:29 AM Post #7,403 of 9,829

Definitely agree with you on this! Listening to Billie Eilish’s latest album blew my mind on how amazing the 2 Bass BA only from the Andromeda with Symbio W (foams removed) and iPod Touch 7G. Incredibly punchy, textured and deep without feeling bloated or slow. No it’s nothing like the effect of low output impedance (< 1 ohm) where bass gets congested and starts bleeding to the lower mids. And thin bass extension is definitely on the last thing on my mind with the right combination using the Andromeda!

Jul 26, 2019 at 8:37 AM Post #7,404 of 9,829
I don't have a problem now using Blackbird foam tips, S30's if I remember correctly. They stay put where before I had problems with the shorter silicone mushroom type. I guess that's why there called secureFit.
It's probably due to fit for your case. Foam probably fits the best for your ears as that was the case for me with ER4XR, as the triple flanges didn't seal well, and sounded a bit thinner than I prefer. Interestingly, foam provided greater bass presence and impact. I think in this case, it's due to foam being inside deep in my ear canal and compressed sealing quite well, but I can't say the same for foam for shallow-fit like Andromeda. Still, if triple flanges fit much better, I think I'd get tighter bass on top of the higher quantity of bass from seal with the ER4XR.

I guess some people has issue with certain iems of shallow fit. Like I stated earlier, I've never had issue with shallow fit iems.

I would also add that Galaxy S8 has weak sauce amping that even BA based iems sounds a bit weaker in the low-end, but not as wrong as dynamic drivers out of it. Dynamic drivers are much harder to drive properly.

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2019 at 3:30 PM Post #7,405 of 9,829
I normally use silicone but just can't get on with them with the Andro's. I find foamies improve the bass which I thought was lacking when using silicones - which also affected the highs, they just didn't sound right to me. But looks like I'm in the minority as many seem to agree with your view.

Nope, I agree with you. The foams give me a more solid, articulate bass with good treble extension/sparkle - the Final E tips didn’t work for me at all, Sprial Dots provide a tiny bit more sparkle but to my ear at the expense of bass and overall cohesion.

Jul 26, 2019 at 5:30 PM Post #7,406 of 9,829
Nope, I agree with you. The foams give me a more solid, articulate bass with good treble extension/sparkle - the Final E tips didn’t work for me at all, Sprial Dots provide a tiny bit more sparkle but to my ear at the expense of bass and overall cohesion.

Stock foam tips best tips.

Jul 26, 2019 at 10:35 PM Post #7,407 of 9,829
XDP300R is super silent with the Andromedas at Low 2 :)

Jul 27, 2019 at 6:09 PM Post #7,408 of 9,829
Hi all. So I'm rocking the Andromeda IEMs and have no issues with sound but the fit with my outer ear causes discomfort.

Can anyone recommend a company that could do custom fit tips that work with the IEMs, preferably in the US?

Any help would be great. Thanks

-Mr. Poopy-shaped ears

Jul 27, 2019 at 6:30 PM Post #7,409 of 9,829
Been lurking this thread for the last couple weeks after getting my Andromedas. A big thanks to all for the excellent information!

I apologize if this has been covered but I've browsed quite extensively without finding the answer.

For a sensitive IEM like the Andromeda where you need to be conscious of OI, do you have to consider the total impedance of the device + the cable, or just the device?

For example I'm driving my Andromedas with a Fiio M11 (<1 ohm SE, <2 ohm Balanced) and using the single ended stock Litz cable.

Basically, do i need to think of it as the following, or do i only use the OI of the device?

<1 ohm (M11 SE) + 1.16 ohm (reported resistance of ALO Litz) = 1.16-2.16 ohms

Jul 27, 2019 at 11:14 PM Post #7,410 of 9,829
OI of device only. for my sound preferences, I prefer an impedance of 1 - 2 ohm, but some go to even 2.5 ohms or some prefer <1 ohm. You just have to plug in your Andromeda to any DAP with various OI or use IE Match and see which sound you prefer

Users who are viewing this thread

Back