Campfire Audio - Introducing 2 new models Hello Andromeda and Nova
Jul 24, 2019 at 2:12 AM Post #7,381 of 9,829
I am thinking to sell my iPod Touch 7th Generation because listening to the Andromeda’s out of both the 3.5mm jack and ORB Clear Force Lightning dongle, the sound is just flat and minimal dynamics and bass. When I listen from my iPhone X with the dongle the bass comes back and the dynamics are fantastic. I tested both with AIFF files loaded onto music.app but I really don’t see how there can be a difference considering (to my knowledge) if you plug a dongle into the lightning port on either, then the device is just acting as a transport. Makes me wonder if the iPhone X somehow offers more power than the iPod Touch but technically I don’t see how given the DAC and amp are in the dongle?

audition the Andromeda's with a balanced cable and DAP that supports balanced output. The sound difference would be as if your using and entirely different set of IEM's.

The 10 dollar lightening dongle has the dac built in the small cable. It's definitely not dynamic if you make different references to different source/amplification.

Jul 24, 2019 at 3:21 AM Post #7,382 of 9,829
Today I received the SpinFit CP240 size M and oh god, the isolation its ****ing awesome, but I can notice that the sound changed, im not sure about but definitely the sound changes, in any case, im more than happy with the replacement, I would buy 1 more pair just to have

EDIT: By the way, I noticed a monstrous improvement on soundstage, just for this its a worth to buy this tips if you want to improve your Andromedas, I would like to test them for few days more but im more more than happy, for me its a must

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2019 at 3:38 AM Post #7,383 of 9,829
The output of the lightning dongle is very low. Of course it would sound more bassy haha.

I agree - but the same dongle from iPhone X sounds significantly better than from iPod Touch 7th Gen. Doesn’t really make sense... but I’ve been listening to the same song all other things being equal and the iPhone X is more dynamic and the bass is much more impactful.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Jul 24, 2019 at 3:39 AM Post #7,384 of 9,829
audition the Andromeda's with a balanced cable and DAP that supports balanced output. The sound difference would be as if your using and entirely different set of IEM's.

The 10 dollar lightening dongle has the dac built in the small cable. It's definitely not dynamic if you make different references to different source/amplification.

Any recommendations for a DAP where I can used a balanced cable with no hiss?

Jul 24, 2019 at 3:43 AM Post #7,386 of 9,829
I actually have mine peeled too. Though I'm 100% happy with Symbio W as my tips, I'd definitely check out the Spiral Dots (++ or original?). Good thing is my ears are perfectly happy with Andromeda's sound out of the iPod Touch 7G. It's really easy to know if an IEM needs more power especially after using my iPod Touch as the only source to demo various IEMs at CanJam. It was the Jomo Quatre were the only IEM that sounded properly driven to my sound preferences. The rest of the IEMs from 64-Audio, Empire Ears and most of the Jomo Audio lineup needed a powerful DAC/amp like the Chord Hugo 2 to sound as "alive and full" as the Andromeda on the iPod Touch. Even the Solaris has a lot less bass impact and wooly extension than Andromeda's very tight, punchy bass response when driven by the iPod Touch 7G.
I have moved from spiral to acoustune aet07 seems to have better isolation and tighter bass as well.

Jul 24, 2019 at 8:18 AM Post #7,387 of 9,829
I agree - but the same dongle from iPhone X sounds significantly better than from iPod Touch 7th Gen. Doesn’t really make sense... but I’ve been listening to the same song all other things being equal and the iPhone X is more dynamic and the bass is much more impactful.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Ear anatomy is really weird. I find the dongle’s bass impact too bloomy and blunt compared to the tight and punchy iPod Touch 7G. Also soundstage with the dongle is too closed-in whereas the iPod Touch 7G provides out the head staging and superior layering than the dongle. Then again, people’s unique ears and sound preferences are well varied that even at least professional reviews perceive Andromeda as not cohesive sounding.

Jul 24, 2019 at 8:59 AM Post #7,388 of 9,829
Hey guys just got my andros, living in a tropical country I noticed some moisture/condensation buildup on the nozzles. Is that a concern?

EDIT: nvm, search answered my questions lol

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2019 at 9:00 AM Post #7,389 of 9,829
Ear anatomy is really weird. I find the dongle’s bass impact too bloomy and blunt compared to the tight and punchy iPod Touch 7G. Also soundstage with the dongle is too closed-in whereas the iPod Touch 7G provides out the head staging and superior layering than the dongle. Then again, people’s unique ears and sound preferences are well varied that even at least professional reviews perceive Andromeda as not cohesive sounding.

...the Andromeda is pretty cohesive sounding...in fact, that’s why it’s so widely praised - cohesivensss despite strong extensions and separation.

Jul 24, 2019 at 9:01 AM Post #7,390 of 9,829
...the Andromeda is pretty cohesive sounding...in fact, that’s why it’s so widely praised - cohesivensss despite strong extensions and separation.
I am curious which review saying the Andros are not coherent sounding?

Jul 24, 2019 at 12:34 PM Post #7,391 of 9,829
Which iPhone are you using? If you're using the supplied 3.5mm lightning dongle, it sounds good already with that, but a proper 1-2ohm range will unlock Andromeda magic with incredible staging, layering and imaging. That's the difference between the iPod Touch 7G and the supplied lightning cable makes to my ears.

I'm using an iPhone 7 plus with the Dragonfly. Interesting about the iPod Touch 7G. I might try one out at the Apple store. I guess you're limited to 16/44 from the headphone out. What kind of battery life do you get out of the iPod Touch? Does the battery life change local vs streaming content?

Jul 24, 2019 at 12:47 PM Post #7,392 of 9,829
I'm using an iPhone 7 plus with the Dragonfly. Interesting about the iPod Touch 7G. I might try one out at the Apple store. I guess you're limited to 16/44 from the headphone out. What kind of battery life do you get out of the iPod Touch? Does the battery life change local vs streaming content?

You can definitely try one. My sound preference with Andromeda is more of a neutral tonality, very punchy, tight and incredibly deep bass (for a BA) with natural sounding vocals and very expansive soundstage. If you’re used to 1 ohm or below OI sound from the Andromeda, you might find the iPod Touch 7G a bit leaner sounding than you’re used to. Then again, our ear anatomy is different and you might find that it doesn’t sound the way I describe it to you

Jul 24, 2019 at 12:53 PM Post #7,393 of 9,829
You can definitely try one. My sound preference with Andromeda is more of a neutral tonality, very punchy, tight and incredibly deep bass (for a BA) with natural sounding vocals and very expansive soundstage. If you’re used to 1 ohm or below OI sound from the Andromeda, you might find the iPod Touch 7G a bit leaner sounding than you’re used to. Then again, our ear anatomy is different and you might find that it doesn’t sound the way I describe it to you
Actually, near 0 ohm should provide more bass, but I've heard one of the generation of iPod touch and they tend to sound a bit leaner side than certain sources (and I found Apple phone/touch devices had this similar lean nature and more treble articulation, similar to Chines players). Chord might be similar despite being near 0 impedance as well. They tend to sound on the cooler side.

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2019 at 6:40 PM Post #7,395 of 9,829
Some unboxing pics of the new v3 Andro I just got:

E56CB1EA-9138-49FD-A4A3-F62C7D54C865.jpeg
0955E84C-F2FD-46F9-9FED-EE74B1F33D88.jpeg
E9D09D73-19C7-4991-AF11-96ABBD3E992E.jpeg
659E7DDA-775F-46E0-A26D-FDB8DFE40E5C.jpeg
F034C99D-7076-4522-B313-4DA535A5AF47.jpeg

Going to give them a listen and post impressions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back