Campfire Audio - Introducing 2 new models Hello Andromeda and Nova
May 7, 2016 at 12:03 PM Post #571 of 9,829
Really feeling the urge to grab the Nova. Someone, please review! We get that the Andromeda is out of this world, lol

May 7, 2016 at 1:21 PM Post #573 of 9,829

This is how I hear CFA Andromeda vs Noble K10UA (using LPG as a source).

Soundstage: both have a very similar depth/height but Andromeda is noticeable wider, with a more holographic sound effect. Both have great separation, but layering effect between instruments and vocals is better in K10UA due to its brighter nature with more airiness.

Bass: Andromeda has a better sub-bass extension and more quantity in comparison where K10UA sub-bass is a little rolled off.  Mid-bass punch and speed are nearly the same.  Overall, K10UA bass sounds a little tighter and a bit leaner (due to less sub-bass), while Andromeda's sub-bass quantity beefs up the low end, giving it a more analog quality.  Both are well controlled, no spillage into lower mids.

Mids: K10UA lower mids are leaner and have less body, while Andromeda lower mids have a fuller body in comparison, but not too thick.  Both have a very detailed and revealing upper mids, but Andromeda is smoother and a little more organic in comparison.  With Andromeda I hear not even a single peak which contributes to graininess or harshness while K10UA can get a bit hot with a few of my brighter tracks (this one is purely subjective opinion).  I also think that due to a fuller body, both male and female vocals sound more natural on Andromeda.

Treble: Both have an excellent treble extension with a great definition, but K10UA treble is a little brighter and with a more crunch.  Neither sound sibilant, though K10UA can get close (but never crosses that threshold) with a few of the bright tracks (I'm allergic to 5k peak :)).  In comparison, K10UA has more airiness, but Andromeda is not too far behind.

Both have a relatively balanced signature while Andromeda has a slightly warmer and smoother tonality in comparison to K10UA.  Both, Andromeda (5xBA drivers) and K10UA (10xBA drivers) are very detailed and highly resolving and definitely worthy of a flagship status.

Are those k10's? They look like Savannah's.

May 7, 2016 at 1:40 PM Post #574 of 9,829
From the frequency response of Nova, it looks not attractive. It doesn't even reach 20kHz (40dB).

It is even worse than Orion (http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews2/campfire/4.html) with that -30dB jump at around 12kHz.

May 7, 2016 at 2:00 PM Post #575 of 9,829

Soundstage: both have a very similar depth/height but Andromeda is noticeable wider, with a more holographic sound effect. Both have great separation, but layering effect between instruments and vocals is better in K10UA due to its brighter nature with more airiness.

Bass: Andromeda has a better sub-bass extension and more quantity in comparison where K10UA sub-bass is a little rolled off.  Mid-bass punch and speed are nearly the same.  Overall, K10UA bass sounds a little tighter and a bit leaner (due to less sub-bass), while Andromeda's sub-bass quantity beefs up the low end, giving it a more analog quality.  Both are well controlled, no spillage into lower mids.

Mids: K10UA lower mids are leaner and have less body, while Andromeda lower mids have a fuller body in comparison, but not too thick.  Both have a very detailed and revealing upper mids, but Andromeda is smoother and a little more organic in comparison.  With Andromeda I hear not even a single peak which contributes to graininess or harshness while K10UA can get a bit hot with a few of my brighter tracks (this one is purely subjective opinion).  I also think that due to a fuller body, both male and female vocals sound more natural on Andromeda.

Treble: Both have an excellent treble extension with a great definition, but K10UA treble is a little brighter and with a more crunch.  Neither sound sibilant, though K10UA can get close (but never crosses that threshold) with a few of the bright tracks (I'm allergic to 5k peak :)).  In comparison, K10UA has more airiness, but Andromeda is not too far behind.

Both have a relatively balanced signature while Andromeda has a slightly warmer and smoother tonality in comparison to K10UA.  Both, Andromeda (5xBA drivers) and K10UA (10xBA drivers) are very detailed and highly resolving and definitely worthy of a flagship status.

Thank you very much for your quick and very detailed response. It is extremely helpful!

May 7, 2016 at 2:04 PM Post #576 of 9,829
  From the frequency response of Nova, it looks not attractive. It doesn't even reach 20kHz (40dB).

It is even worse than Orion (http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews2/campfire/4.html) with that -30dB jump at around 12kHz.

Am also curious about that 12 kHz drop. Wonder what the thinking is behind that tuning

May 7, 2016 at 2:07 PM Post #577 of 9,829

As someone else on this thread wrote earlier, listening to a product's performance is far more important than reading a graph of its frequency emphasis. If that weren't true, then why would a company that created Jupiters and Andromae bother to create Orions or Novas at all?

May 7, 2016 at 2:08 PM Post #578 of 9,829

Great thanks - I'm guessing it was "white tape" version looking at the graph.  I can see why you went with it - compared to Jupiter (for me) its a massive improvement.  Nova looks really good (graph) - very much my kind of sig.  If dMarc0 running an Australasian tour, I'd love the chance to review them.

And if you do end up doing a tour with them - if could measure his particular pair before you send, and email me the CSV freq,db pairing for the entire freq range on the Nova - I'd love to use it to calibrate my Veritas.  I'm reasonably happy with the way it measures below 4 kHz - but beyond that you're 100% right - measures way too low. I could do it manually - but would be very time consuming, and not as accurate as using your measurements as a calibration guide.

Re the shells - I've worked out why a few have issues and others don't.  Tip dependent. If I use a narrower tip, I have to try and insert further, the housing presses on the ear, and it's uncomfortable.  A wider tip, and they sit slightly off the ear, and the edges aren't an issue.  With a shallow fitting ergonomic design it can be an issue I guess.  Another option might be to lengthen the nozzle slightly.  Just food for thought.

Oh and to shockwaver, the Andromeda I heard wasn't V shaped.  Quite balanced overall.

Good points and yes they will be coming your way, I will get the CVS file.

Cheers

Ken

Campfire Audio Campfire Audio - Nicely Done. Stay updated on Campfire Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.campfireaudio.com/ Support@campfireaudio.com
May 7, 2016 at 2:12 PM Post #579 of 9,829
To put the graphs in perspective

http://seanolive.blogspot.ch/2014/01/the-perception-and-measurement-of.html

May 7, 2016 at 2:49 PM Post #580 of 9,829

Are those k10's? They look like Savannah's.

K10UA Rose Gold edition, I reviewed these 2 months ago.

May 7, 2016 at 4:43 PM Post #581 of 9,829

I take it you haven't heard Orion? It'd be one of the best tuned single BAs I've ever heard.

At some stage I'd suggest grabbing whatever monitors you use - plugging into a source (eg PC) and using a graphic equaliser start at 20 kHz (with real music) and apply a 40 dB cut to each freq one at a time and see what differences you notice. Just work backward from 20 to 12. The results should be enlightening.

May 7, 2016 at 5:32 PM Post #582 of 9,829

Ken, are these your measurement graphs? Did you also make these ones?

May 7, 2016 at 7:19 PM Post #583 of 9,829
Following this thread with rapt attention for some opinions on the Nova. ;_;

May 7, 2016 at 7:41 PM Post #584 of 9,829
  Following this thread with rapt attention for some opinions on the Nova. ;_;

On it.

I have to clean the house! I will do some listening whilst cleaning up.

NOVA + Centrance Hifi-skyn, ipod 6G 128GB using Flacplayer app.

I have 138 hours on the Nova so far.  

Spiral Tips ML.

*impressions soon after cleaning the house.

May 7, 2016 at 8:31 PM Post #585 of 9,829
Just heard the whole CFA lineup at the Portland meet today. Had previously heard near-final versions of Orion, Lyra, and Jupiter last summer. At that time, I really liked Lyra and especially Jupiter but wrote off Orion. That changed today. The new cable gave Orion a fuller, more balanced sound to my ears. So much so that I ended up picking up a pair. Nova seemed quite punchy and energetic and stood out to me as the one most different from the rest of the lineup. Lyra was basically how I remembered. Jupiter seemed mellowed with the new cable. Andromeda was the star of today's meet for me. If I had the disposable income, I'd be ordering one right now without question. Preferred it to K10, U10, and U12. More organic sounding with smoother high end. Very cohesive and not very BA-like. CFA did a great job with these!
:beerchug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back