Campfire Audio - Introducing 2 new models Hello Andromeda and Nova
May 7, 2016 at 2:39 AM Post #556 of 9,829
  I 2nd that, I'm holding off on my purchase as well hoping a 2.5mm variety will be available. It's nice they've upgraded the cables but if I can't use it and have to buy another cable for $200 or so, what good is it?

I honestly think missing on the massdrop deal is a great mistake. The cable alone as a standalone cable for other mmcx is a great-deal. I am sure ALO will offer the future variation of that cable at a fair price.

I personally have a number of great single ended amp so I like the single ended cable but it would have truly been sweet to have that option. My guess the new cable cost the same as having both of the tinsel cable. 

May 7, 2016 at 3:22 AM Post #557 of 9,829
  I honestly think missing on the massdrop deal is a great mistake. The cable alone as a standalone cable for other mmcx is a great-deal. I am sure ALO will offer the future variation of that cable at a fair price.

I personally have a number of great single ended amp so I like the single ended cable but it would have truly been sweet to have that option. My guess the new cable cost the same as having both of the tinsel cable. 

Well the massdrop deal was only for the Nova correct? I'm looking into getting the Andy to pair with the CDM, using it's balanced output. Sure I could buy a seperate cable from them, but seeing as I don't want the 3.5mm one, why not just have an option? I could understand not wanting to give away 2 nice cables, but just being able to choose would be awesome.

May 7, 2016 at 3:27 AM Post #558 of 9,829
Listening set-up: Apple Mac Mini--> Schiit Wyrd--> Chord Mojo --> CypherLabs Picollo --> Andromeda.

Initial Impressions: REFERENCE sound signature. PRaT is natural in timing with a lightning fast leading edge.

•The Treble is quite accurate in that it will lay bare distortion in poorly mastered tracks. It is not sibilant but not polite either. Most of all I do not hear any artificial peaks in the tuning. This is quite surprising to me because I am hearing all the detail I can ask for without fatigue.

•The Mids really are linear with what the recording renders. I find that it is transparent in that you can easily hear if the singer/artist was singing close to the mic or if there is more untreated space around the singer/artist; think vocal booth versus in a room with accompaniment. Acoustic music sounds so organic. I can listen to vocals and listen for all the detail I love without fear of any nasty peaks that some reference level cans/iems can present with at times.

•The Bass is glorious in its presence AND restraint. It is linear and can portray the deepest sub-bass with authority while allowing space for the mids. Most importantly to me, the upper mid bass is not boosted nor are the lower mids. There is not any bleed thru into the mids which is something I always listen for as it affects vocals and soundstage cohesion.

• I find the soundstage is wide and transparent. ]

This list of impressions is also true for my experience so far.

-//--------------////--------

Ok, call me a liar....I did say I was going to take the Nova out today and I swear I did listen to it at home this morning but the Andromeda pulled me back in.

On another note. Today I stopped by one of the big electronic stores here (Yodobashi camera) that have all sorts of audio gear to get some more spiral tips.

The staff kept eyeing me whilst i was choosing tips and later doing an A/B of the AK240vs Centrance hifi skyn ...and I was wondering why.
When i came to pay 'they asked 'campfire audio?' Yes 'new version?' Yes ' sugoi, wow, amazing etc'

Three staff stopped work to listen to te Andromedas and made audible gasps and exclamations (in Japanese) of excellent, wonderful etc.

Haven't really seen such a thing in a ling time living here.

It was a good day.

0ac42190c4bc5288b653b42459fd3bc1.jpg

May 7, 2016 at 3:30 AM Post #559 of 9,829
  Well the massdrop deal was only for the Nova correct? I'm looking into getting the Andy to pair with the CDM, using it's balanced output. Sure I could buy a seperate cable from them, but seeing as I don't want the 3.5mm one, why not just have an option? I could understand not wanting to give away 2 nice cables, but just being able to choose would be awesome.

I see, I agree with you as I am a consumer and I will always side with the consumer. However I feel Nova will offer the highest bang for the buck. I have yet to try a multiple BA IEM in flagship status that I like. I have been eyeing the CDM for a long time. I am stuck whether to go with that or the WA8. Both great sounding. Looking forward to your findings. 

May 7, 2016 at 3:51 AM Post #560 of 9,829
  I see, I agree with you as I am a consumer and I will always side with the consumer. However I feel Nova will offer the highest bang for the buck. I have yet to try a multiple BA IEM in flagship status that I like. I have been eyeing the CDM for a long time. I am stuck whether to go with that or the WA8. Both great sounding. Looking forward to your findings. 

Yeah I'm also interested in the WA8 but have been leaning towards the CDM because it's been described as a portable equivalent of it's big brother, the Studio Six, which is my reference amp at home and I'm absolutely in love with it so the CDM having a similar signature seems like the way to go for me. Really was hoping they might do a bundle (CDM/Andromeda) to get a real reference portable setup and maybe save a little money. Can't get it all though I guess, I'd just be happy with the 2.5mm cable option for now.

May 7, 2016 at 4:17 AM Post #562 of 9,829
These impressions don't say anything except the Andromeda has all of the good stuff and none of the bad. Which is in my experience never true.

What got me interested toward ALO audio is the products which has attracted ALO to sale on their site, the so called there possible competition. There is no doubt in my mind that those product that ALO happily sale on their site, Fitear 334, IE800 and at one point Flat 4, has influenced the campfire product line. 

May 7, 2016 at 9:22 AM Post #564 of 9,829
To anyone who has actually compared by listening to both units, is the Andromeda warmer than the K10ua? Also, is it brighter or airier in the treble? Would also appreciate knowing what source was used to compare.

May 7, 2016 at 9:41 AM Post #565 of 9,829
  What got me interested in ALO audio is the products they attracts them and they sale on their site, the so called there possible competition. There is no doubt in my mind that those product that ALO happily sale on their site has influenced on there campfire products. 

Quote:

This might be what audionewbi wanted to say:

"What got me interested in ALO Audio was the attractiveness of its products, the sales on its official site, and ALO Audio's products and sale prices versus those of the so-called competition. There is no doubt in my mind that the aesthetics and value of the products sold by ALO Audio inform Campfire Audio products as well."

Or, on the nether hind,* audionewbi might have meant this:

"What interests me about ALO Audio is the kinds of products it sells on its official site, and the sale prices on that site versus those of the so-called competition. There is no doubt in my mind that the aesthetics, quality and pricing of third-party products sold by ALO Audio have influenced its owner and CPO's choices in designing and pricing Campfire Audio products."

Perhaps Google Translate or a comparable service was involved. I'd have to use something similar to post on a Romanian site.

=====

* Translation: On the other hand.

May 7, 2016 at 10:02 AM Post #566 of 9,829
These impressions don't say anything except the Andromeda has all of the good stuff and none of the bad. Which is in my experience never true.

Good/bad in terms of the sound or the design?  I already expressed my concern regarding the fit (relative to my ear anatomy) and that tip rolling was necessary to resolve this issue.  Regarding the sound, you know that with many flagship IEMs/CIEMs its not about good/bad because their intent is to showcase the best of what the manufacturer has to offer without cutting any performance corners.  It's all about the preference of which one hits the sweet spot closer to home for you PERSONALLY - a very subjective opinion, of course.  What one finds as tolerably bright, someone else will hear as sibilant.  And someone might think that bass is rolled off (as a negative comment) while others find it just perfect.

In my personal opinion what helps during the review is not just describing the sound how you hear it, but also comparing it to other better known IEMs/CIEMs.  The relative comparison is what paints a better picture where you can make up your mind if more bass or less treble, as an example, relative to something you well familiar with will be a good or a bad for your ears.  Makes sense?

May 7, 2016 at 10:19 AM Post #567 of 9,829

This might be what audionewbi wanted to say:

"What got me interested in ALO Audio was the attractiveness of its products, the sales on its official site, and ALO Audio's products and sale prices versus those of the so-called competition. There is no doubt in my mind that the aesthetics and value of the products sold by ALO Audio inform Campfire Audio products as well."

Or, on the nether hind,* audionewbi might have meant this:

"What interests me about ALO Audio is the kinds of products it sells on its official site, and the sale prices on that site versus those of the so-called competition. There is no doubt in my mind that the aesthetics, quality and pricing of third-party products sold by ALO Audio have influenced its owner and CPO's choices in designing and pricing Campfire Audio products."

Perhaps Google Translate or a comparable service was involved. I'd have to use something similar to post on a Romanian site.

=====

* Translation: On the other hand.

I will not blame google translate or anything else, it is just I am too casual to proof read my post. Half of the time the thoughts aren't even properly process and they clearly show when I am trying to type them as I thinking them. 

Going back to the post the point I was trying to make was that I feel campfire audio represent what ALO has learned in the process of hand-picking and selling products for over the period they had the 32ohm audio, that was the origin of ALO audio if I am not mistaken. And once they moved to become ALO audio they became even more selective on what product they want to sale. They are the only company I know that started selling Fitear TG334 long before it became popular outside Japan. 

In short I think campfire is designed to best the very best that they see worthy of selling on there site.  I am very keen to read what people think on how the new andromeda compares against the 334, I think it quiet possibly will sound like a more mature 334.

May 7, 2016 at 10:37 AM Post #568 of 9,829
  I will not blame google translate or anything else, it is just I am too casual to proof read my post. Half of the time the thoughts aren't even properly process and they clearly show when I am trying to type them as I thinking them. 

Going back to the post the point I was trying to make was that I feel campfire audio represent what ALO has learned in the process of hand-picking and selling products for over the period they had the 32ohm audio, that was the origin of ALO audio if I am not mistaken. And once they moved to become ALO audio they became even more selective on what product they want to sale. They are the only company I know that started selling Fitear TG334 long before it became popular outside Japan. 

In short I think campfire is designed to best the very best that they see worthy of selling on there site.  I am very keen to read what people think on how the new andromeda compared agains the 334, I think it quiet possibly will sound like a more mature 334.

My apologies, audionewbi; I was only trying to help.

Provisional writing can be effective as a reflection of the process of thought. However, I also believe it's important to respect the reader as much as the integrity of the provisional. It's worth the effort to pause for a moment and reread your words to ensure coherence.

What you say about 32 Ohm Audio being the originator of ALO Audio is interesting. If that's true, it's an origin, a bloodline, of which I was unaware.  My understanding was that Ken's site preceded the existence of the physical store.  His site existed in 2003, during the days of the original iPod 3. I remember because I used some of the line-out-docked cables he designed at the time (hence the name of the site and company).

I agree that Ken has always been an epicurean when it comes to selling other people's products. I also think that it would be unwise to sell IEMs made by other companies without stopping to learn about them, and that it would be smart to use the best of what was learned when creating new products. Virtually every audio company has studied the work of other companies.

But I also think that the level of taste shown in choosing products to sell might be what we see reflected in design decisions re Campfire Audio. It certainly was reflected in the cables Ken created long before he sold other people's products. 

Since I'm not Ken, I have no idea whether any of our thoughts about his decisions are true.

May 7, 2016 at 11:09 AM Post #569 of 9,829

My apologies, audionewbi; I was only trying to help.

Provisional writing can be effective as a reflection of the process of thought. However, I also believe it's important to respect the reader as much as the integrity of the provisional. It's worth the effort to pause for a moment and reread your words to ensure coherence.

What you say about 32 Ohm Audio being the originator of ALO Audio is interesting. If that's true, it's an origin, a bloodline, of which I was unaware.  My understanding was that Ken's site preceded the existence of the physical store.

I agree that Ken has always been an epicurean when it comes to selling other people's products. I also think that it would be unwise to sell IEMs made by other companies without stopping to learn about them, and that it would be wise to use the best of what was learned when creating new products. Virtually every audio company has studied the work of other companies.

But I also think that the level of taste shown in choosing products to sell might be what we see reflected in design decisions re Campfire Audio. It certainly was reflected in the cables Ken created long before he sold other people's products. 

Since I'm not Ken, I have no idea whether any of our thoughts about his decisions are true.

Please don't apologies, I need to thank you for reminding me about the importance of remaining professional. Lately thanks to social media I placed a lot less care into making an effort in proof reading my comment. It is a good reminder for me to remain as professional as I can be otherwise what is the point of making a contribution when no one can understand it.

May 7, 2016 at 11:53 AM Post #570 of 9,829
To anyone who has actually compared by listening to both units, is the Andromeda warmer than the K10ua? Also, is it brighter or airier in the treble? Would also appreciate knowing what source was used to compare.

This is how I hear CFA Andromeda vs Noble K10UA (using LPG as a source).

Soundstage: both have a very similar depth/height but Andromeda is noticeable wider, with a more holographic sound effect. Both have great separation, but layering effect between instruments and vocals is better in K10UA due to its brighter nature with more airiness.

Bass: Andromeda has a better sub-bass extension and more quantity in comparison where K10UA sub-bass is a little rolled off.  Mid-bass punch and speed are nearly the same.  Overall, K10UA bass sounds a little tighter and a bit leaner (due to less sub-bass), while Andromeda's sub-bass quantity beefs up the low end, giving it a more analog quality.  Both are well controlled, no spillage into lower mids.

Mids: K10UA lower mids are leaner and have less body, while Andromeda lower mids have a fuller body in comparison, but not too thick.  Both have a very detailed and revealing upper mids, but Andromeda is smoother and a little more organic in comparison.  With Andromeda I hear not even a single peak which contributes to graininess or harshness while K10UA can get a bit hot with a few of my brighter tracks (this one is purely subjective opinion).  I also think that due to a fuller body, both male and female vocals sound more natural on Andromeda.

Treble: Both have an excellent treble extension with a great definition, but K10UA treble is a little brighter and with a more crunch.  Neither sound sibilant, though K10UA can get close (but never crosses that threshold) with a few of the bright tracks (I'm allergic to 5k peak :)).  In comparison, K10UA has more airiness, but Andromeda is not too far behind.

Both have a relatively balanced signature while Andromeda has a slightly warmer and smoother tonality in comparison to K10UA.  Both, Andromeda (5xBA drivers) and K10UA (10xBA drivers) are very detailed and highly resolving and definitely worthy of a flagship status.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back