Campfire Audio - Introducing 2 new models Hello Andromeda and Nova
May 6, 2016 at 7:13 PM Post #528 of 9,829

Hey all!

I want to again thank everyone who has posted and have been into our IEMs! Now that some of the new EMs are shipping and the reviews will be coming in I thought it might be good to post some frequency response measurements first before we see a lot of variations posted by people. Without going into a long drawn out thesis / debate on measurements I just want to say that I have not seen any reviewers measurements that are accurate and it can be difficult to interpret a freq measurement. I don't use HRTF compensation curve on my measurements because I am familiar with the raw freq curve so when I see a curve I know what it sounds like and am comfortable with what I am seeing. So to state my measurement so I can be happy that this is the official freq I am posting it here now. I do not really want to get into any debates on what the freq means or read into it too much as a freq measurement is only a very small part of the over all picture of the product. I would MUCH rather listen to the IEM than read a freq.

In addition, I dont want to sound like I dont welcome people to also have fun and measure, but just want to say that taking a accurate measurement is tricky, also tricky to read into the measurement. I spent over $15,000 on on measurement system and it took me almost a year with professional help to calibrate and set it up 100%. So in doing so it is expensive and can be difficult to set up and calibrate. I know my set up is accurate because I send my IEMs to independent labs to double check everything.

Andromeda

Nova

Thank you!

ken

Ken - thanks for the graphs, and your time with me earlier explaining how you do things.  The graph on the Nova looks really good.  Two questions - was the prototype for the Nova amongst the early prototypes you sent me?  They weren't identified - so hard to tell.

Second - are the new housings going ahead (softened internal edges)?

May 6, 2016 at 7:41 PM Post #530 of 9,829
Some basic notes (Build and fit).

http://headpie.blogspot.jp/2016/05/some-notes-on-campfire-audio-iems-faqs.html

`I have reviewed the CA Jupiter  http://headpie.blogspot.jp/2016/03/campfire-audio-jupiter-iem-review.html and am now in the process of reviewing the Andromeda and the Nova.
Sound aside, yes the main question will be reserved for a future article... `Which Campfire Audio IEM is right for me?` ...as I have not completed my listening, nor reviews for the Andromeda and Nova as of now.

Sorry.

Build and fit.

The build of the three Campfire Audio IEMs I have is impeccable. They are solid and robust. 
Made from one block of precision machined aluminum and held together by bolts. They certainly are sturdy. They appear heavy to the eye but in fact are quite lightweight.

Whilst they may look sharp at first glance, they are well designed and fit into my ears without any uncomfortable rubbing, the cable has a memory wire which also helps to lock them in place although they seem to sit there quite well by themselves.

They have a lot of straight lines and not so many curves as most IEMs have, but rest assured it is comfortable fit.
The nozzles are angled in such a way as to enter the ear canal easily, and are long enough to get a good seal and isolation.

The cable is strong and well made. The braided cable gives a sense of strength and beauty and it is reinforced at the MMCX connector.`

May 6, 2016 at 7:42 PM Post #531 of 9,829

Ken - thanks for the graphs, and your time with me earlier explaining how you do things.  The graph on the Nova looks really good.  Two questions - was the prototype for the Nova amongst the early prototypes you sent me?  They weren't identified - so hard to tell.

Second - are the new housings going ahead (softened internal edges)?i 

Hi Brooko,

Thanks!

No I sent you various tunings of the Andromeda :wink:

We are always looking to improve, everything. But the shells remain the same.

Thanks

ken

Campfire Audio Campfire Audio - Nicely Done. Stay updated on Campfire Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.campfireaudio.com/ Support@campfireaudio.com
May 6, 2016 at 7:44 PM Post #532 of 9,829
Whoa, Andromeda is super v-shaped contrary to what people here said about it

Shockwaver,

Hi and sorry, I would disagree, the Andromeda is not what I would call "super V" shaped, its rather flat with a slight elevation in the sub low, low, then flat on the mids followed by good HF extension and a set of strategic peaks.

Cheers.

ken

Campfire Audio Campfire Audio - Nicely Done. Stay updated on Campfire Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

May 6, 2016 at 7:52 PM Post #534 of 9,829

Andromeda

Jupiter

Nova

Three is better than two :)

Comparing the Andromeda and Jupiter graphs shows the difference in development and aim for two the headliner IEMs of CA.

I think when they are put together ( and hopefully all five graphs) it will paint a clearer picture of what each IEM in the Campfire Audio series is aiming to achieve.

Although of course measurements are one thing and ears another.

May 6, 2016 at 7:57 PM Post #535 of 9,829

Shockwaver,

Hi and sorry, I would disagree, the Andromeda is not what I would call "super V" shaped, its rather flat with a slight elevation in the sub low, low, then flat on the mids followed by good HF extension and a set of strategic peaks.

Cheers.

ken

Hi, Ken. Thanks for replying. I shouldn't judge it by the graph on its sound before it has been tried out or used. When I get my pair I'll post impression. :) 

May 6, 2016 at 7:57 PM Post #536 of 9,829

Andromeda

Jupiter

Nova

Three is better than two :)

Comparing the Andromeda and Jupiter graphs shows the difference in development and aim for two the headliner IEMs of CA.

I think when they are put together ( and hopefully all five graphs) it will paint a clearer picture of what each IEM in the Campfire Audio series is aiming to achieve.

Although of course measurements are one thing and ears another.

Begging your pardon, but what might the drop in the bass for the Nova mean? Slightly recessed sub-bass? I am trying hard these days to incorporate the analytics into my thought process so it can help me understand what I hear better, for my reviews.

Thank you in advance.

May 6, 2016 at 8:18 PM Post #537 of 9,829
Begging your pardon, but what might the drop in the bass for the Nova mean? Slightly recessed sub-bass? I am trying hard these days to incorporate the analytics into my thought process so it can help me understand what I hear better, for my reviews.

Thank you in advance.

Ngoshawk: 

You might want to venture a gawk at the numbers at the bottom of the graph.

For porpoises of comparison, I'd like to see the graph for the Orion swimming in the same set.

May 6, 2016 at 8:21 PM Post #538 of 9,829

Ngoshawk: 

You might want to venture a gawk at the numbers at the bottom of the chart.

Scrypt! where have you been :wink:

Good to hear from you.

ken

May 6, 2016 at 9:00 PM Post #540 of 9,829
  Hi Brooko,

Thanks!

No I sent you various tunings of the Andromeda :wink:

We are always looking to improve, everything. But the shells remain the same.

Thanks

ken

Great thanks - I'm guessing it was "white tape" version looking at the graph.  I can see why you went with it - compared to Jupiter (for me) its a massive improvement.  Nova looks really good (graph) - very much my kind of sig.  If dMarc0 running an Australasian tour, I'd love the chance to review them.

And if you do end up doing a tour with them - if could measure his particular pair before you send, and email me the CSV freq,db pairing for the entire freq range on the Nova - I'd love to use it to calibrate my Veritas.  I'm reasonably happy with the way it measures below 4 kHz - but beyond that you're 100% right - measures way too low. I could do it manually - but would be very time consuming, and not as accurate as using your measurements as a calibration guide.

Re the shells - I've worked out why a few have issues and others don't.  Tip dependent. If I use a narrower tip, I have to try and insert further, the housing presses on the ear, and it's uncomfortable.  A wider tip, and they sit slightly off the ear, and the edges aren't an issue.  With a shallow fitting ergonomic design it can be an issue I guess.  Another option might be to lengthen the nozzle slightly.  Just food for thought.

Oh and to shockwaver, the Andromeda I heard wasn't V shaped.  Quite balanced overall.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back