Campfire Audio - Introducing 2 new models Hello Andromeda and Nova
Sep 7, 2018 at 12:47 PM Post #5,731 of 9,829
What's everyone go to portable setup with the andromedas? Thinking of the ifi audio micro idsd when I get a pair.
Love my iDSD Micro BL with them. Excellent match AND works great with my HiFiMan HE-5LE. What a versatile product. Bass boost and 3D can also really help some headphones out. Love it.

And hopefully you have read here already that 1 to 2 ohm is the sweet spot for output impedance. That and no hiss (Andros are very sensitive) are the key. If those are a problem, then IEMatch may be a solution. Though opinions on its impact seems mixed

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2018 at 11:26 AM Post #5,732 of 9,829
I purchased a pair of used Andros, the detail
In theses IEMs is exceptional! I do have a concern reagaurding ear wax in the nozzle.
Under magnification, it appears that more then one port on both monitors may be partially clogged. What would be the safest,most effective way to clean them out?
I’m extremely anal about issues like this and I’m concerned that the resolution is compromised. Any advice?

Sep 8, 2018 at 3:05 PM Post #5,733 of 9,829
I purchased a pair of used Andros, the detail
In theses IEMs is exceptional! I do have a concern reagaurding ear wax in the nozzle.
Under magnification, it appears that more then one port on both monitors may be partially clogged. What would be the safest,most effective way to clean them out?
I’m extremely anal about issues like this and I’m concerned that the resolution is compromised. Any advice?
Not sure how good this actually is, @ExpatinJapan has reviewed it but I haven’t got round to reading it yet. It does look like a handy tool alright

Sep 8, 2018 at 4:30 PM Post #5,734 of 9,829
I have just done the unboxing photos so far and had a little play.

It seems quite effective.

I myself dont have heavy wax, but when i review it i am gonna clog up some old broken iems with something and put it through its paces.

Sep 13, 2018 at 6:12 PM Post #5,735 of 9,829
Jeez louise !
I ordered the stainless andromeda with the reference 8 cable yesterday direct from Campfire Audio not realizing is has a different sound from the original .
I figured there just might be be a review on the SS vs original version so I started to google and found this thread .
Now I have second thoughts on the SS .
Unfortunately trying them out at a store is not an option since nobody in my area carries these .
I do have the 15 day return policy ,except there is a price to pay , 20% restocking fee !

Im going to use them with an Opus 1 or 2 player , anybody here try to pair this combo up with the original andromedas and
have any thoughts how the SS might sound with either Opus1 or 2 players ?

Sep 13, 2018 at 6:31 PM Post #5,736 of 9,829
Happens to me all the time. That's why I keep them in the DryCaddy every night
Hi Syke,

Im glad you mentioned the DryCaddy since I will be cruising the Caribbean next month, with maybe the SS andromedas if they arrive on time .

I have been reading this thread and see controversy over the sound from the SS vs original andromedas .
I read your opinion after going to a show and getting to try the SS out .
I also see a graph posting the specs , they seem too close in comparison and wonder who could hear a difference !
Interesting opinions on the matter .

Sep 13, 2018 at 6:33 PM Post #5,737 of 9,829
Jeez louise !
I ordered the stainless andromeda with the reference 8 cable yesterday direct from Campfire Audio not realizing is has a different sound from the original .
I figured there just might be be a review on the SS vs original version so I started to google and found this thread .
Unfortunately trying them out at a store is not an option since nobody in my area carries these .
I do have the 15 day return policy ,except there is a price to pay , 20% restocking fee !

Im going to use them with an Opus 1 or 2 player , anybody here try to pair this combo up with the original andromedas and
Campfire is great to work with. Give them a call to discuss. I'm sure they will happily work it out.

Sep 14, 2018 at 3:59 AM Post #5,739 of 9,829

Which message in this thread caused you to have second thoughts?

I'm curious because I also ordered the S because I love the new look even though I already have a fresh pair of greens and I don't remember reading any message that made me think it was a mistake.

Btw, if you're concerned about condensation, keep in mind that steel has about 1/5 the thermal conductivity of aluminum so it will take 5 times longer for the same amount of heat to travel from the base of the nozzle to the environment when compared to the current green version. Not sure how this will work in real life, but in my theory this should reduce the buildup of water droplets on the nozzle face.

Sep 14, 2018 at 8:25 AM Post #5,740 of 9,829
Which message in this thread caused you to have second thoughts?

I'm curious because I also ordered the S because I love the new look even though I already have a fresh pair of greens and I don't remember reading any message that made me think it was a mistake.

Btw, if you're concerned about condensation, keep in mind that steel has about 1/5 the thermal conductivity of aluminum so it will take 5 times longer for the same amount of heat to travel from the base of the nozzle to the environment when compared to the current green version. Not sure how this will work in real life, but in my theory this should reduce the buildup of water droplets on the nozzle face.
Hi Candlejack,
On page 370-383 , MXRaia compares SS to regularAndromeda and notices a difference , appears that he prefers the old andromeda sound to the new SS .
No sparkle in the treble on the SS and other changes .
SYKE responds with "I hate to say this, especially I am an owner of the original Andromeda. The SS version is better sounding than normal version. Vocals, mids are clearly a notch up. Those wanting to purchase the Andromeda, go for the SS version."
So the question is, is the sound better or worse ?
Having no way to hear the original it would be hard for me to tell .
Will the SS keep it's value like the original ?

Sep 14, 2018 at 9:01 AM Post #5,741 of 9,829
Hi Candlejack,
On page 370-383 , MXRaia compares SS to regularAndromeda and notices a difference , appears that he prefers the old andromeda sound to the new SS .
No sparkle in the treble on the SS and other changes .
SYKE responds with "I hate to say this, especially I am an owner of the original Andromeda. The SS version is better sounding than normal version. Vocals, mids are clearly a notch up. Those wanting to purchase the Andromeda, go for the SS version."
So the question is, is the sound better or worse ?
Having no way to hear the original it would be hard for me to tell .
Will the SS keep it's value like the original ?

Hey! It looks like my previous posts might have caused some confusion, so I’ll try to clarify... I might as well because I have been receiving PMs about this.

To clear the air, I never said the Andromeda S was bad. I just said I preferred the tuning of the original Andromeda.

I posted my impressions based on listening to both original version and S version side by side, on the same DAP, at the same volume (volume 20 on low gain LG V20). My impressions of the S version were that 1) there was slightly more bass, 2) mids were more forward, and 3) the treble sparkle was lacking. I guess my takeaway was that the Andromeda sounded “warmer”. “Warmer” is also how the staff at Let’s Go Audio in Hong Kong and Zeppelin and Co. in Singapore described it in my discussions with them.

Ken of Campfire later explained that all he did was increase the volume of the mids, while keeping the bass and treble unchanged.

I guess it makes sense: the “more bass” I heard was actually an increase in volume of the lower mids (not the bass). “Vocals being more forward” was what Ken actually intended. The “lack of a treble sparkle” that I heard was just the treble not being as prominent in the mix, because of the vocals being more forward. The treble extension is most likely the same, but the treble isn’t necessarily the “star of the show” anymore because of the mids being moved forward.

Overall, you could say the original Andromeda and the Andromeda S version are both equally technically capable. It’s just a question of whether you like that gentle U-shaped response of the original Andromeda (which pushes the vocals back, and gives a bit more room for the treble sparkle to be noticeable) or if you want something a bit more neutral (where the vocals are more forward, and thus the treble sparkle isn’t really as noticeable).

Personally, I prefer the original Andromeda tuning, but that doesn’t mean the Andromeda S is worse. It’ll be a matter of personal preference and the genres you listen to. (That’s why I’m selling my Andromeda S; so I can pick up a normal Andromeda instead)

Long story short, if you bought Andro S, don’t worry, it’s great. Listen to it, compare it to the original if you can, and decide which one you like more.

Also, next time you should @ people so they can respond to your stuff in a more timely manner :) Cheers!

Sep 14, 2018 at 11:23 AM Post #5,742 of 9,829
Hey! It looks like my previous posts might have caused some confusion, so I’ll try to clarify... I might as well because I have been receiving PMs about this.

To clear the air, I never said the Andromeda S was bad. I just said I preferred the tuning of the original Andromeda.

I posted my impressions based on listening to both original version and S version side by side, on the same DAP, at the same volume (volume 20 on low gain LG V20). My impressions of the S version were that 1) there was slightly more bass, 2) mids were more forward, and 3) the treble sparkle was lacking. I guess my takeaway was that the Andromeda sounded “warmer”. “Warmer” is also how the staff at Let’s Go Audio in Hong Kong and Zeppelin and Co. in Singapore described it in my discussions with them.

Ken of Campfire later explained that all he did was increase the volume of the mids, while keeping the bass and treble unchanged.

I guess it makes sense: the “more bass” I heard was actually an increase in volume of the lower mids (not the bass). “Vocals being more forward” was what Ken actually intended. The “lack of a treble sparkle” that I heard was just the treble not being as prominent in the mix, because of the vocals being more forward. The treble extension is most likely the same, but the treble isn’t necessarily the “star of the show” anymore because of the mids being moved forward.

Overall, you could say the original Andromeda and the Andromeda S version are both equally technically capable. It’s just a question of whether you like that gentle U-shaped response of the original Andromeda (which pushes the vocals back, and gives a bit more room for the treble sparkle to be noticeable) or if you want something a bit more neutral (where the vocals are more forward, and thus the treble sparkle isn’t really as noticeable).

Personally, I prefer the original Andromeda tuning, but that doesn’t mean the Andromeda S is worse. It’ll be a matter of personal preference and the genres you listen to. (That’s why I’m selling my Andromeda S; so I can pick up a normal Andromeda instead)

Long story short, if you bought Andro S, don’t worry, it’s great. Listen to it, compare it to the original if you can, and decide which one you like more.

Also, next time you should @ people so they can respond to your stuff in a more timely manner :) Cheers!

Thank you for adding detail and nuance to your original comment. FWIW, I remember reading your comment at the time and getting exactly the message you said: it's a slightly different sound and you prefer the green version, not that the S is crap.

If you don't mind, while you still have the S, could you take some closeup photos and post them here, since the biggest attraction I think is the looks and there aren't enough pic of the S available yet.

Last thing, did you experience a lot of condensation of the nozzle? Especially for listening sessions longer than 2 hours?

Sep 14, 2018 at 11:46 AM Post #5,743 of 9,829
Jeez louise !

Is it heavy?

Sep 14, 2018 at 8:50 PM Post #5,744 of 9,829
Campfire is great to work with. Give them a call to discuss. I'm sure they will happily work it out.

Hi MXRaia

I don't remember quoting you saying the Andromeda SS was bad !
The opinions of everyone on this thread are of equal importance .
I appreciate the time you put in to clarify your opinion on how the SS Andromeda sounds vs the original Andromeda .
I wish there was a place where I live to try both the SS and the original Andromeda's out and make a decision .

Sep 14, 2018 at 9:07 PM Post #5,745 of 9,829
I don't remember quoting you saying the Andromeda SS was bad !
The opinions of everyone on this thread are of equal importance .

No worries, but from PMs I received, it does seem that some people were concerned that the S was a “downgrade”, when I meant I think it’s a sidegrade :)

If you don't mind, while you still have the S, could you take some closeup photos and post them here, since the biggest attraction I think is the looks and there aren't enough pic of the S available yet.

Last thing, did you experience a lot of condensation of the nozzle? Especially for listening sessions longer than 2 hours?

Sure thing:
01C284EE-A390-403C-A305-C687C9749691.jpeg18D77797-A9BC-4E3F-A9B5-9061D80D5107.jpegD3D0AE10-254E-4749-A0A1-70C4895531FC.jpeg3AAF5F82-F335-47C2-953C-55C404446EEA.jpeg

As for condensation, yes, it is noticeable. When not in use, I store my stuff in a Pelican case with foam cutouts and a drying pellet compartment. Previous posters mentioned DryCaddy and that should work well too.

1DBDEE9E-C906-4393-B621-83BF7A02FDFD.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back