Campfire Audio - Introducing 2 new models Hello Andromeda and Nova
Aug 31, 2016 at 5:38 PM Post #2,701 of 9,829

Tweaked my Linum BaX cable with new pin and jack (the default jack is goner btw), looks almost perfect with my Nova, if only the color of the pin is a bit darker. :D

Aug 31, 2016 at 6:18 PM Post #2,702 of 9,829
I have the 75 ohms etymotic adapter, also the Hifi-m8 which has an impedance switch of 11,2,1 ohms.

But have you tried it? 

From your previous post it does not seem like you have. You're talking about impedances in general, old products like the AK100 and theoretical outcomes. Why don't you try the Andromeda and the 75ohm adapter and share your findings? Tell us what you don't like about the sound instead of saying 'it will be garbage because the numbers don't add up'. Bear in mind my preferred adapter is 22ohm and not 75. 

Aug 31, 2016 at 8:32 PM Post #2,703 of 9,829
BRIEFLY tested the Andromeda with the Centrance Hifi-M8 and its impedance switch with 11,2,1 output impedance options.

1ohms OI: is as expected, the full Andromeda experience. everything sounds beautiful and well tuned/balanced. smooth.
2ohms OI: Slightly reduced bass and less controlled, Vocals lose some crispness. A slight Harshness underneath. It becomes more flat and less musical, loses that magic it has. Still sounds good,very close except with critical listening. some may prefer this setting.
11ohms OI: A different sound signature all together. Quite thin overall. Reduced bass and mids, weak vocals. Some who heard a device at this setting might describe the Andromeda as laid back.

This is not a criticism of the Andromeda, more just an example of how all BA and mulitdriver IEMs need the lowest OI 1 or less to perform at their optimum.

Imho
regards
Expat
Posted back in June.

@LouisLoh

Sorry I dont have the time the go further with this currently as I have about five earphones, a bluetooth cable and one Dap etc that are backlogged for review on my blog that I am writing at the moment.

(My Campfire Audio Andromeda, Jupiter and Nova reviews are on my blog also).

If you are happy, thats the main thing. :)
Enjoy.

Aug 31, 2016 at 8:43 PM Post #2,704 of 9,829
Back in June.

@LouisLoh

Sorry I dont have the time the go further with this currently as I have about five earphones, a bluetooth cable and one Dap etc that are backlogged for review on my blog that I am writing at the moment.

(My Campfire Audio Andromeda, Jupiter and Nova reviews are on their also).

If you are happy, thats the main thing.
smily_headphones1.gif

Enjoy.

No worries. I would have been happy to engage in a discussion if you had a recent listen.  
Glad to know you are making recommendations based on distant memory and what you think the combination may sound like, especially since your assertions were pretty bold.

FWIW, a quick 5 minute listen would suffice, because the differences are quite prominent.

Aug 31, 2016 at 8:59 PM Post #2,705 of 9,829
I also briefly auditioned the V5 at a Canjam and agreed that it is very good. I made the comment to Ken that it sounds as good as my Hugo and he seemed to be pleased to hear that. With regard to bass, my first awakening to bass from headphone was with my first LCD2, I love clean tight bass that hide themselves until they are needed or present themselves and when they do, they do not color the whole frequency range and make the sq warmer and caused the treble to loose the sparkle and airiness like so many iems/headphones do. The Andromeda does this beautifully and that is the hallmark of a good phone.

I don't really understand, it is an amp, whether it sounds as good as the Hugo would entirely depend on the source.

Aug 31, 2016 at 9:19 PM Post #2,706 of 9,829
No worries. I would have been happy to engage in a discussion if you had a recent listen.  
Glad to know you are making recommendations based on distant memory and what you think the combination may sound like, especially since your assertions were pretty bold.

FWIW, a quick 5 minute listen would suffice, because the differences are quite prominent.
Yeah basic head fi 101 rule.

If you havent heard it, dont write it :)

I will dig out my 75ohm adapter (so many cables here) and give it another listen.
(but as i mentioned I have reviews backlogged ...annnd the Battlefield 1 beta just started which is the real reason for my tardiness)
As you can see from my above link witht he Hifi-m8 i do try these things whilst reviewing as a side tests, although generally i dont put them in my review as they are more in the realm of either sound science or personal preferences.

Aug 31, 2016 at 9:34 PM Post #2,707 of 9,829
  I don't really understand, it is an amp, whether it sounds as good as the Hugo would entirely depend on the source.

What I mean of course is given the same source and comparing dac/amp to dac/amp.

Sep 1, 2016 at 8:34 AM Post #2,710 of 9,829
Awesome work! I hope I could do that with my nova and linum bax.

Not my own work though, a talented modder in my local community do it for me, he said Linum cable is a pain to work with. Haha... This requires a bit of cutting on the cable connecting the pin though, so it became shorter of what an already short cable. :D

Sep 6, 2016 at 3:28 PM Post #2,713 of 9,829
Anyone has experienced distortion with one side of the Nova?

So yesterday, I started hearing audible distortion on the right side of my Nova. Vocal is followed by static noises. This doesn't happen on the left side. The distortion is worsen if I touched the Nova housing, like it takes conductivity from my finger and amplify the static noise I'm hearing. Very weird...

Today, I downloaded a sine generator app on my Android phone and try to find the frequency where it is affected. The distortion started to be audible at around 1.2 khz, got really bad at 2-3 khz, then started to disappear at 4 khz, vanished at around 5 khz.

I bought the Nova from Massdrop exclusive launch, is the warranty covered by Massdrop or by Campfire Audio directly?

Sep 6, 2016 at 5:25 PM Post #2,714 of 9,829

So yesterday, I started hearing audible distortion on the right side of my Nova. Vocal is followed by static noises. This doesn't happen on the left side. The distortion is worsen if I touched the Nova housing, like it takes conductivity from my finger and amplify the static noise I'm hearing. Very weird...

Today, I downloaded a sine generator app on my Android phone and try to find the frequency where it is affected. The distortion started to be audible at around 1.2 khz, got really bad at 2-3 khz, then started to disappear at 4 khz, vanished at around 5 khz.

I bought the Nova from Massdrop exclusive launch, is the warranty covered by Massdrop or by Campfire Audio directly?

Can't say about the warranty, but try swapping the cable connection...left to right, right to left. Just to check if the problem follows the cable or if it's isolated to the bud itself. It may sound like a waste of time, but the more information you can get by troubleshooting the easier to determine what warranty action you may be looking forward to. 

Sep 6, 2016 at 8:45 PM Post #2,715 of 9,829

Hey Jeffri,

Its best to contact Campfire if you think you have something not 100% with your IEMs. We can do some testing here and see if there is anything up with your IEMs.

support@campfireaudio.com

Thanks

Ken

Campfire Audio Campfire Audio - Nicely Done. Stay updated on Campfire Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.campfireaudio.com/ Support@campfireaudio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back