Campfire Audio - Introducing 2 new models Hello Andromeda and Nova
Aug 31, 2016 at 4:49 AM Post #2,686 of 9,829
  That's good to hear...I have a 20 ohm adapter coming from Penon. I'm hoping that's enough to lift them just out of the noise floor on the Mojo and lighten up the bass a tad.

It will certainly do that. There is 0 hiss now with the Mojo, and the bass is definitely tighter.

Aug 31, 2016 at 4:55 AM Post #2,687 of 9,829
This song sounds absolutely sublime with the 22ohm adapter, with the drums coming alive, whereas out of the iP6, it sounds subdued and somewhat boring. 

To be fair though, it sounds even greater with the 75ohm in some passages (e.g. around 0:52-1:30) with an even more satisfying drum kick, but only VERY slightly.

Aug 31, 2016 at 6:39 AM Post #2,691 of 9,829
"Getting together in great harmony"
biggrin.gif

Aug 31, 2016 at 7:56 AM Post #2,692 of 9,829
The impedance of the iphone 6 at 5ohms or so and the plus at around 3ohms output impedance is enough to render using a high end IEM worthless.

Adding impedance adapters just makes it worse and possibly covers up the already existing mess.

Its good for low fi and mid fi earphones anything more and it wont reach its potential.imho

If you have a decent dap/source at 1 ohm or less (2 ohms at a stretch) the Andromeda is a dream.

Check out the first AK100 thread which measured 20ohms and see the reaction there at the time.

Aug 31, 2016 at 8:51 AM Post #2,693 of 9,829
The impedance of the iphone 6 at 5ohms or so and the plus at around 3ohms output impedance is enough to render using a high end IEM worthless.

Adding impedance adapters just makes it worse and possibly covers up the already existing mess.

Its good for low fi and mid fi earphones anything more and it wont reach its potential.imho

If you have a decent dap/source at 1 ohm or less (2 ohms at a stretch) the Andromeda is a dream.

Check out the first AK100 thread which measured 20ohms and see the reaction there at the time.

To be fair, while the high impedance changes the sound signature, I would actually argue that it doesn't change the technical ability of the iem. It is no less resolving and detailed to me. In fact it gives an even airier presentation and a tighter bass. With a Low impedance source, it is much fuller and richer, but a little less tight in the bass with a little bloom, and less airy, sounding less open.

I think it's a trade off, each has its own benefits, and while it may not be the way Ken intended the IEM to sound, it sounds different and sounds good either way.

I actually use it with the soundaware esther which is a 10 ohm source, and I do enjoy it a lot that way :) with the stock cable (which is on the warmer and thicker side), I find a Low impedance source to make it a tad thick for my liking.

Aug 31, 2016 at 9:19 AM Post #2,694 of 9,829
I think Andromeda goes damn well with X5II with E12A amp.

I ordered mine and still waiting for it to come.

Aug 31, 2016 at 10:06 AM Post #2,695 of 9,829

I presume this is aimed at me. My only question is, have you tried either an impedance adapter or the AK100 with the Andromedas? Or are you letting your numbers do all the talking?

Aug 31, 2016 at 11:47 AM Post #2,697 of 9,829
Very nice review.  I agree for the most part with regard to your impressions on bass, mid range and treble. I personally do not think the bass is too much.  I think it is just right for me. I particularly like the separation of the sub bass and the mid bass and the fact they do not bleed or muddy into the mid range is very important to me. In that regard, I think the sound separation actually runs throughout the whole freq range and not just in the bass department.  I also do not think the sound is "warm and smooth". It is very well balance and smooth.  Very transparent with air.  These may just be my preferences.  I really like the Andro and it is on top of my list for iems now. Thank you.

Thanks for your kind words. I think we are basically in agreement. I, personally, loved the bass response. That level of power and control is hard to come by. I really don't mind having a little extra energy in the low mids and bass, it definitely fits my personal tastes better than something like an ER4.

Agreed on the separation. I just called it out in the bass department specifically because it is so incredibly well done!

Aug 31, 2016 at 11:55 AM Post #2,698 of 9,829

I presume this is aimed at me. My only question is, have you tried either an impedance adapter or the AK100 with the Andromedas? Or are you letting your numbers do all the talking?

I have the 75 ohms etymotic adapter, also the Hifi-m8 which has an impedance switch of 11,2,1 ohms.

Aug 31, 2016 at 12:12 PM Post #2,699 of 9,829
I agree with you too, I think the reviewer must have been using the Mojo (0 output impedance) for the impressions of too much bass, as with near zero OI I think there is a bit too much as well. On my iPhone 6S Plus (~3 OI)  it sounds about perfect.

The Mojo definitely gave it the most bass of the three. I also found the bass levels more suited to my liking out of the iPhone, though the overall presentation suffered a bit. The Andromeda's bass out of the Continental V5 was magnificent and the best overall, in my estimation (based on my short time with it). That little amp really lets the Andromeda show it's stuff.

Aug 31, 2016 at 12:25 PM Post #2,700 of 9,829
The Mojo definitely gave it the most bass of the three. I also found the bass levels more suited to my liking out of the iPhone, though the overall presentation suffered a bit. The Andromeda's bass out of the Continental V5 was magnificent and the best overall, in my estimation (based on my short time with it). That little amp really lets the Andromeda show it's stuff.

I also briefly auditioned the V5 at a Canjam and agreed that it is very good. I made the comment to Ken that it sounds as good as my Hugo and he seemed to be pleased to hear that. With regard to bass, my first awakening to bass from headphone was with my first LCD2, I love clean tight bass that hide themselves until they are needed or present themselves and when they do, they do not color the whole frequency range and make the sq warmer and caused the treble to loose the sparkle and airiness like so many iems/headphones do. The Andromeda does this beautifully and that is the hallmark of a good phone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back