Campfire Audio - Introducing 2 new models Hello Andromeda and Nova
Jul 30, 2016 at 2:28 AM Post #2,509 of 9,829
Decided to just check out how the Andro's sound with the stock cable, since I never really gave it a chance, opting to just throw them on my Therium right away. They sound Amazing with the stock cable, and find no reason for anybody to think they would need anything else. This was a great determination. It shows that Ken really covered all the bases when putting this package together. Of course I do like the cable better after removing the memory wire. Which as I stated previously...is not something to be approached lightly with this cable. 

I really liked the stock cable and thought the andromedas were fantastic. Then I attached the Theriums. Wow it was a totally different league for me. A veil had been lifted and the bass was tighter and trebles were clearer. This is the first time my cable had made such a difference for me. Totally worth the upgrade for me so I'm selling the stock tinsle.

Jul 30, 2016 at 2:30 AM Post #2,510 of 9,829
I can't believe that. Tips changing volume doesn't make any sense. Cable, perhaps, but tips? Sounds absurd. Maybe I just listen quieter than other people.

Not too much, such as rubber tips , I can't get 100% sealed, the sound may leak.
Used with foam tips for 50% volume is consider loud from iPod touch 6gen

Jul 30, 2016 at 5:05 AM Post #2,512 of 9,829
I'm using the large Comply tips, seal seems pretty good. Maybe I just like it loud. 30% would definately be a bit too soft for me, but 50-60% is the sweet spot for the Andromeda on the iPhone, can't say about the NOVA.

Jul 30, 2016 at 5:07 AM Post #2,513 of 9,829
Jul 30, 2016 at 1:09 PM Post #2,514 of 9,829
Not too much, such as rubber tips , I can't get 100% sealed, the sound may leak.
Used with foam tips for 50% volume is consider loud from iPod touch 6gen

Then your initial suggestion of tips being the issue is far too broad and indeed makes no sense because of it (I can give you a pass on that, English clearly isn't your first language so you might not be able to express your thoughts quite as well). Makes more sense if you specify relating to seal. If it doesn't seal well, then it may seem quieter even if it isn't simply because there's more background noise interfering with the stuff you actually wanna hear. I listen at about 20% in my room, about 30% when I'm on the streets.

Anyone else roll their eyes whenever they read this phrase in audiophile advertisements & reviews?

I just ignore those parts. Dunno what veil is. If it was described as like kinda muffled in comparison to something else, then a little more easily understood. Case in point, the HD600 vs HD650 debate and all the talk about veil and whatnot. The HD650 sounds a little muffled to me compared to the HD600 because of it's different frequency response. Or someone lifted a literal veil and showcased a lovely example of an HD600 or an IEM on a stand
tongue.gif

Jul 30, 2016 at 2:30 PM Post #2,515 of 9,829
After some time with the Andromeda, I've noticed a couple of niggling factors for my preferences. Besides its sound being very source dependent, its bass lacks that sense of clean impact/natural decay plus air/uncompressed dynamism around separate beats that dynamic drivers do so well. The search continues for a BA-only IEM with the midrange to treble smoothness they're capable of achieving but also a low end that can satisfy fans of DD bass.

Jul 30, 2016 at 4:51 PM Post #2,516 of 9,829
After some time with the Andromeda, I've noticed a couple of niggling factors for my preferences. Besides its sound being very source dependent, its bass lacks that sense of clean impact/natural decay plus air/uncompressed dynamism around separate beats that dynamic drivers do so well. The search continues for a BA-only IEM with the midrange to treble smoothness they're capable of achieving but also a low end that can satisfy fans of DD bass.

Have you tried the Lyra? Based on your preferences, it sounds like it might fit the bill. For much of my music, I prefer my Lyra over my Andromeda. It does, however, take quite a long time to develop its full potential.

Jul 30, 2016 at 10:40 PM Post #2,517 of 9,829

Yes Andros would be a bit bass lack.
You might let it burn-in at least 100 hours.
If compare to Nova would be more on Bassy than Andro.

Jul 30, 2016 at 11:43 PM Post #2,518 of 9,829

Have you tried the Lyra? Based on your preferences, it sounds like it might fit the bill. For much of my music, I prefer my Lyra over my Andromeda. It does, however, take quite a long time to develop its full potential.

My goto right now is the K3003. Its overall tuning and tonal balance is close to my ideal, though its treble is slightly uneven. My holy grail IEM would be something that fixes this while matching the rest of the K3003's response. While the Andromeda's treble is very smooth to my ears, I don't hear it as entirely neutral. In fact, Campfire Audio's own measurements very closely correspond to what I hear, especially the hump from 6.5~8.5kHz. I'm inclined to trust Campfire Audio's FR graphs and from what I see, I don't think the Lyra's treble response would be to my liking. I do very much like CA's build and styling though, so I hope they continue to work at tuning.

Andromeda

Lyra

Anyways, back to the Andromeda, here are the rest of my notes...

​

1. Measured the series resistance of the stock litz cable to be about 0.7ohms, swapped out for an aftermarket cable of 0.2ohms for initial assessment driven by a UHA760 (online specs say output impedance <0.5ohms).
  2. Tried sony hybrid, spinfit, spiral dot, ortofon... and reaffirmed my fondness for ortofon tips. The silicone ortofon uses is unlike anything else, supremely soft and supple but the flange itself has enough rigidity for nice seal, the surface is a little grippy like the spiral dot but smoother. sony hybrid and spinfit are similar to each other, but the spinfit stem is longer, extending past the rim of the flange, useful for IEMs with stubby nozzles such as the Oriolus. spiral dot is squattest with widest bore, almost identical to the stock silicone tips but the flange is a bit more rounded. Side note, ortofon L is roughly the same size as M for other brands.
  3. The shape of the earpieces give a near perfect fit for my ears, very satisfying for a universal.
  4. Hot damn this is bassy, the above setup (as low impedance as possible) doesn't work, at all.
  5. With lows pushed forward, it was a good time to focus attention there. I keep a MDR-EX1000 around as a reference for "neutral" bass though I hardly ever listen to it as it has untenable treble texture issues to my ears. The Andromeda lacks that sense of clean impact/natural decay and air around separate beats, as with all BA-only IEMs I've heard, but the distinction is much more subtle in this particular case.
  6. Plugged directly into the headphone out of the 5.5g diymod (IIRC 5ohms OI) and the bass is significantly reduced, now a bit too light for me. A touch lighter than the MDR-EX1000 though not at all nearing ER-4 levels.
  7. Swapped the stock litz cable back in and connected to the UHA760 again, bass is still a bit heavy-handed.
  8. My preference is for bass below 150Hz to be slightly boosted (which the MDR-EX1000 is not BTW) to compensate for a perceived lack of extension of flat measuring IEMs. Swapping out the stock cable for the Linum BaX (1.5ohms) gets there. Wonderful balance of sub-, mid-, and upper-bass. For the purist who go for 0ohm OI electronics, I'd highly recommend the Linum BaX not only for the sonic changes it imparts but also for being a tremendously ergonomic cable. Or perhaps the Linum Music for more "neutral" bass.
  9. Midrange and treble is very nice and coherent with no noticeable dips or peaks. Being the Staxhead that I am though, I'd prefer more upper mid presence, from 2 to 4kHz.
  10. A sweep reveals a smooth broad hump from 6.5 to 8.5kHz, probably explaining the excellent sibilance free clarity and definition I'm hearing. I've heard a similar kind of treble tuning before in the Unique Melody Mason but the Andromeda completes the package with the rest of its FR. With ill-tuned shallow fit IEMs, I usually experience a narrow peak around 7~7.5kHz due to ear canal resonance that's slightly higher in volume than this hump here which causes sibilance issues. I suppose CA was able to smooth this out with the tubeless resonator.
  11. Assuming bass and treble response isn't entirely off, midrange balance usually determines whether I hear something as warm or analytical. The Andromeda is to me essentially neutral with a very slight warm tilt. Overall a very enjoyable IEM. If CA is able to pull this off with a hybrid in the future, that'd be an IEM I'd want to hear.

Aug 2, 2016 at 11:25 PM Post #2,520 of 9,829
Hi, has anyone of u guys sent your iem for repair. how do you do it (the packaging etc)? should i include my email ? I have never sent anything for repair. and i live outside US. really appreciate it if someone can school me on this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back